Ok to call someone after 1.5yrs?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I was reminded of a girl I used to know and like in high school. We used to hang out but I was too much of a pussy to ever make a move and so she eventually started going out with somebody else.

Well I hadn't seen or talked to her since then which was probably a year and a half...maybe 2 years. I was reminded of her today and so asked a mutual friend is she was still alive or whatever and got her cell number.

So I want to call her now, but what do I say? Should I even call her? I think I will because I'd love to talk to her again, but I'm not sure if it falls into the creepy category or not. We never really ended talking, just slowly stopped, but it was always on good terms, so it's the only awkward thing is the long period of time.

I'm thinking maybe try and text message first to initiate talking.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    Just call her, if you where as good of friends as it sounds like you where in high-school I'm sure she'll be happy to hear from you. Besides, you mentioned that you were too much of a pussy to ask her out then, so don't start out by repeating the same mistakes and hide behind text messaging, just give her a call.

Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Give her a call. Reconnecting is fun.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    No. Just call her. Talk to her for her a bit. See if she wants to go out to catch up on things.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Heh heh. As far as she knows, you're a pussy, and girls aren't afraid of pussies. So you're not going to freak her out if you call.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    You want to make a belated booty call?

Move on.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    damnit, call her.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Go ahead and call her. Since X'mas is coming soon, it should give you something to start.

Actually, I have a similar situation as you do. However, she moved to LA and I'm still in the Pacific NW.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

You want to make a belated booty call?

Move on.

Let me guess. Your one of those people that doesn't actually enjoy the company of girls, your just looking for the most available ass.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    definitely call, it has always worked out well for me!!
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Let me guess. Your one of those people that doesn't actually enjoy the company of girls, your just looking for the most available ass.

You have guessed incredibly wrongly. But thank you for playing.

I'm suggesting that initiating a conversation again with a girl you haven't spoken to in 1.5 years is most likely going to register for her as, at the very least, some part booty call. It will also potentially register as confusing (why am I being contacted?) or desperate (on your part).
  • Reply 11 of 24
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I disagree.

Dude, call her. cmooooon, peer pressure!
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Yes, it's OK. You won't regret it whatever the outcome.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    for those of you who think its a bad idea and she'd think you're a loser ... well what if it was a SHE who called you afrer 1,5 years??? would SHE be a loser then?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

for those of you who think its a bad idea and she'd think you're a loser ... well what if it was a SHE who called you afrer 1,5 years??? would SHE be a loser then?

Yes. A booty call is a booty call.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

Look, in a very real sense, most of us are losers. I wouldn't get too hung up on being socially awkward, so long as you're not actually antisocial (in a bad way).

Otherwise, I'd have to go kill myself.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    call her...the longer you put it off the more freaked out about it you'll be. just jump right in and call her. Tell her you were excited to get her number and you missed talking/hanging out. Chics love hearing that sort of thing. Good Luck.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Heads going to explode!

Tried to call that girl tuesday...figured tuesday was a good time looked casual, but not like I wanted to do something. Friday night like a thursday call might have.

Cell number you've reached is temporarily not in service. So I tried again the following day, and nothing. Figure maybe that was a sign.

Just now she was on IM and so I messaged her and she gave me (without me asking) her new cell number. So beside from her jealous x-bf, everything worked out for the best.

I didn't have to come off as a creepy stalkerish, and I got what I wanted. Odd though since she hasn't been on in almost a year.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Cool beans! She obviously wants to keep in touch with you, which might mean a possibility... might not. But she's clearly not creeped out by you which is a great sign.

Did you mention that you'd "love to get together some time"?

No, I specifically didn't say that.

Quote:

18:40:09 ast3r3x: hello

18:40:15 the girl: hey you

18:40:24 ast3r3x: how's it going

18:40:54 the girl: its going

18:40:57 ast3r3x: i actually tried to call u tuesday

18:41:02 the girl: no you didnt?!

18:41:08 ast3r3x: indeed i did

18:41:19 the girl: thats so cool

18:41:25 ast3r3x: i was cleaning my buddy list and found ur name, asked kristina about u, and she gave me ur cell

18:41:35 ast3r3x: ...said ur cell was out of service or something though

18:41:56 the girl: derek and i broke up ... so i had to get a new one ... xxx-xxxx

18:42:37 ast3r3x: well if you don't have a bf, and you don't have too many jealous stalkers, i think we should get together so we can catch up

18:42:48 ast3r3x: i don't think i've tlaked to you for over a year probably

18:43:02 the girl: probably ... ive hardly talked to anyone in that long

18:43:16 the girl: ... i do have jealous stalkers ... but id still like to hang out

18:44:18 ast3r3x: well you always had a boy or two who obsessed over u

18:44:26 the girl: riiight

18:44:59 ast3r3x: so are you in school, or working?

18:45:14 the girl: working for now... i need to get my shit toghether though

18:45:22 ast3r3x: where are you living?

18:45:44 the girl: i had an apartment with derek for a little ... i back home with mom now

18:46:37 ast3r3x: i have to go, im glad i caught you thought if i didn't have the right cell anymore

18:46:45 ast3r3x: when's a good time to call you to chill for a bit

18:47:01 the girl: uum, im off mondays and fridays, and weekends after three

18:47:31 the girl: cant wait till you call

18:47:36 ast3r3x: well i'll assume ur busy tomorrow night, so maybe this weekend or monday

18:47:43 the girl: sounds good

18:47:56 the girl: take care

18:48:00 ast3r3x: later rachel

Of course I want to call saturday, but maybe I'll wait to monday.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    You posted your conversation on the internet? Jesus man... I would think that'd be a deal breaker right there. Actually, the fact that you asked advice about her to strangers on the internet in the first place would probably be enough.

There are some things in life that go beyond the knowledge of even the closest of (real life) friends... and those are between you and a the lady friend. Don't spoil that which you don't even have yet. Work this shit out on your own and we will all wish you the best.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    weird... not the thread I wanted to post in at all