Extending the range of non-Apple network w/ Airport Express?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a Motorola SBG900 Wirless Cable Modem and an Airport Express. Is there any way I can have the Airport Express extend the range (WDS Remote or Relay) of the SBG900 or am I stuck using the Airport Express in Client mode for AirTunes and Wireless printing only?

I've tried setting it up with the Airport Admin Utility but it's very confusing and it always ends up saying there was an error connecting. It seems others are having success with their wireless routers but I have not seen Motorola mentioned.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    the bridging works only to apple products = airports, sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

the bridging works only to apple products = airports, sorry.

Actually you can do this easily. I have a RCA cable modem (from Comcast) that is hooked up to a Linksys WirelessG router (with SpeedBooster) that connects 2 PC's and my iMac wirelessly. Now my PowerBook I usually use in the basement where my wireless signal (from my Linksys router) is very weak. I bought an Apple Airport Express Base Station and set it up in the basement as a WDS base relay station and now I get a real strong wireless signal in the Basement to use my PowerBook and my PS2, Xbox and Tivo updates with.

rberry88
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

The bridging works only to apple products = airports, sorry.

No, that's just a myth. There are many people having success using an Airport Express to extend (not just join) a wireless network with some Lynksys and other non-Apple wireless routers. Unfortunately it looks like Motorola is another story. Why am I not surprised?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by rberry88

Actually you can do this easily. I have a RCA cable modem (from Comcast) that is hooked up to a Linksys WirelessG router (with SpeedBooster) that connects 2 PC's and my iMac wirelessly. Now my PowerBook I usually use in the basement where my wireless signal (from my Linksys router) is very weak. I bought an Apple Airport Express Base Station and set it up in the basement as a WDS base relay station and now I get a real strong wireless signal in the Basement to use my PowerBook and my PS2, Xbox and Tivo updates with.

That's only because you are using a Linksys though. There are not many others that are compatible with Apple's WDS setup. I was hoping that Motorola would be but I guess not.