Getting a 15 minute dvd into quicktime for web viewing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My friend had a 15 minute dvd made to support our industry. This DVD is straight foward with no menus. Just pop in player and it plays the presentation from start to end.

We want to get the dvd into quicktime and host this thing on our website for others to view anytime they want. That way we don't have to shell out more $$ to have this thing burned 1,000 times to hand out to others that can easily get on the net.

The DVD is about 15 minutes long. Any suggestions? I would also like to reduce the resolution to save space too but one thing at a time I guess.

Thank you greatly for any responses.

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    you can export straight from Keynote to quicktime. if you used powerpoint, get keynote and it will import the ppt presentation and then you can export to quicktime.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

you can export straight from Keynote to quicktime. if you used powerpoint, get keynote and it will import the ppt presentation and then you can export to quicktime.

keynote? powerpoint? get quicktime pro and do it properly... or use ffmpegX, which is free. Use mpeg4.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

keynote? powerpoint? get quicktime pro and do it properly... or use ffmpegX, which is free. Use mpeg4.

um, keynote allows you to use all of quicktime's features inside of keynote's quicktime exporter. there is no need and no point in exporting something, then opening it in quicktime and re-exporting. i have quicktime pro already, and my point is that you can use all those nice features and export "properly," as you say, from keynote.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    The problem is getting the video from the DVD into a convertable file.

DVDxDV (above) will do the job fine, but will "tag" your movie unless you pay.

There might be some easier way, but this is what I do:

Use DVDxDV to extract the a "VOB" file, and ffmpegx to encode a mpeg4. (the settings are complex, put you'll get it after playing around for a while).

Open and save in quicktime to enable the nice "play while loading" feature.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

um, keynote allows you to use all of quicktime's features inside of keynote's quicktime exporter. there is no need and no point in exporting something, then opening it in quicktime and re-exporting. i have quicktime pro already, and my point is that you can use all those nice features and export "properly," as you say, from keynote.

Both keynote and Powerpoint are costly programs that add nothing to working with video. That was my only point.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Just tested out handbreak (above) as well. Works well! Easier interface. Rip's right from the DVD, (works with commerical DVDs as well... )

Seems to need ffmpegX to work.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    There is a .vob file in one of the folders. It is roughly 700 mb big. Can I just copy off of the dvd and then go to QuickTime Pro and do the conversion?

Eric
  • Reply 9 of 19
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

There is a .vob file in one of the folders. It is roughly 700 mb big. Can I just copy off of the dvd and then go to QuickTime Pro and do the conversion?

Probably not. Just use OpenShiiva, HandBrake, or DVDxDV.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Thanks! Handbrake worked perfect. I set the target file size, 20 mb, and let it go. I may try and do a smaller file size.

I will post a link in a few when I get it online. You guys will enjoy watching septic tanks getting vaccum'ed tested. ;-)

Thanks again, I love this mac.

Eric Barger
  • Reply 11 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Ah, I see your fatal assumption: aplnub never said he was using PowerPoint. He said it was a 'presentation'. Raw video can be a presentation.

Make sense now New?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Ah, I see your fatal assumption: aplnub never said he was using PowerPoint. He said it was a 'presentation'. Raw video can be a presentation.

Make sense now New?

well if you would refer back to my FIRST post on this matter, you would see i used the word "IF." I was merely stating the IF he had used powerpoint or keynote, he could export quicktimes straight from the program.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Any good program I can use to convert the resulting QT video to a windows media format for those who are too stupid to get QT to play?

Check out the video and be informed about your next septic tank. Hopefully, I can produce a better promotional video of my company with FCP HD as soon as I get my video camera hooked up.

***Warning, cheezy video.***

http://www.bargerandsons.com/video/ecb/Movie.mp4E

Eric
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Any good program I can use to convert the resulting QT video to a windows media format for those who are too stupid to get QT to play?

Check out the video and be informed about your next septic tank. Hopefully, I can produce a better promotional video of my company with FCP HD as soon as I get my video camera hooked up.

Eric

just released today: http://www.flip4mac.com/

its expensive, but looks much better than any of the free ones i've tried (dont worry, they dont even remotely work). if you can afford this one, get it.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Eric

I think you could just save an .avi version. That's what I do when a PC-user needs to put video into powerpoint at work.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

I still think this is one of the strangest answers on to how export DVD-video to a web format I've ever read...
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

I still think this is one of the strangest answers on to how export DVD-video to a web format I've ever read...

ok you're officially a dumbass. i wasn't talking about any DVD-video. I was addressing the fact that his content was originally a presentation.

and here's my post from yesterday, since you obviously had your head up your ass:

well if you would refer back to my FIRST post on this matter, you would see i used the word "IF." I was merely stating the IF he had used powerpoint or keynote, he could export quicktimes straight from the program.

ok im done with this thread.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

ok you're officially a dumbass. i wasn't talking about any DVD-video. I was addressing the fact that his content was originally a presentation.

Except it wasn't.

Yes, you had an 'if' in there... but face it - you had a 100% failure rate of information flow to your readers. Knock off the name calling, or get put on a vacation.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Except it wasn't.

Yes, you had an 'if' in there... but face it - you had a 100% failure rate of information flow to your readers. Knock off the name calling, or get put on a vacation.

supersuper