iPod Flash (size of cookie)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
From slashdot:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000040022898/

(picture on site)

Quote:

TheMacMind swears up and down that have the scoop on the new flash-based iPod, along with some specs and a mock-up of what?s going to look like. The hardest part is that there?s no screen or display of any kind (although that?s something that does get dispensed with on the absolutely smallest MP3 player), and the iPod flash (that?s what they claim it?s going to be called) is supposed to be just 2.5? by 1.5? by 0.5? in size and start at 99 bucks for the 256MB version, with pricier 512MB and 1GB versions also available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    I doubt that any Apple iPod would forfeit the design that has made the iPod line so successful. The scroll wheel must remain if the iPod is to be successful, in any form.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Saw the original MacMind article this morning. It appears the article has been slashdotted by now.

Obviously, the lack of display thing even with "only" 250 songs seems odd. I wonder if there's a 1 line "ticker" type of display at the top edge or something instead. Just seems weird. I suppose maybe Apple would assume that people will track their songs from iTunes and/or make settings changes there. Seems like a stretch to me.

If they really wanted to add value, they could make the thing into a jump-drive device as well, but that's icing on the cake I guess.

I also doubt the pricing quite frankly. $99 is probably too low for Apple. I'd wager $149 for such a thing, maybe even $179. They would still sell like Altoids.

I dunno, doesn't quite add up IMO. I've ben wrong before though.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    iPod or remote for Airport Express or iPod?

With out a screen i cant think it would be an iPod. A radio based remote for Airport Express though would not need a screen and simple controls like that would be fine. Though a way to change play lists would be nice...

Maybe it?s an inline remote for the iPod would work as well.

I dont know just a thought. I just can?t see it being an iPod w/ out a display.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Many Sony MD players have controls and a two-line display on the headphone cord.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Ah, good point.

[added]

Of course, this thing is so small, it seems almost silly to have a nubby remote thing on headphones that are attached to something little bigger than the remote itself. I mean, isn't this thing really a remote unto itself in a way? Maybe that's what we're really seeing?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    If there will ever be a flash based iPod it will look and function in the exact same way as its bigger brothers (sisters?). There is *no way* it will come smaller than 1Gb - remember the Stevenotes regarding smallish MP3-players ending up in a drawer - add to that the declining flash (or equivalent memory) price drop.

Also, the main reason why the iPod is a success is the UI. Dropping either the screen or the wheel (or, heaven forbid, both) would be insane.

Thus, I predict a flash iPod that looks basically the same (identical screen, scroll wheel and connections) as the iPod mini - only thinner and with longer battery life.

"iPod micro"

1 Gb. $149.

2 Gb. $199.

Available in white/silver and a Special Edition matching the new PBG5 (which might even have a slot for the micro-pod)...

- announced in January (which will make AAPL jump above $100), actual shipments delayed until March (which will make AAPL end up at approx $70).

Not available in Europe until summer-05 :-(
  • Reply 7 of 26
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    one word: text-to-speech

I for one barely EVER use my screen. I have my iPod in a pocket or computer bag and have 4000 songs on album shuffle or total random

This could seem like a plausible product from Apple.

It would get so much attention its not even funny
  • Reply 8 of 26
    oh, and I forgot to add, the screen/display could be directly on the remote control THAT would make sense to me if you take my usage habits as an example. I'd rather see whats going on on the remote rather than the body of the iPod
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I kind of wonder if Apple will have this little doohickey shuffle your songs by default all the time, take it out of the user's hands. Doesn't seem like that would be met with too much enthusiasm with that choice taken out of your hands though.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    I've got the same feeling that these MWSF05 iPod rumors are the same as the MWSF04 iPod rumors. The only thing I'm expecting, maybe, is iPod mini 4GB at $199 and iPod mini 5GB at $249. Maybe some optional colors or prints.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I kind of wonder if Apple will have this little doohickey shuffle your songs by default all the time, take it out of the user's hands. Doesn't seem like that would be met with too much enthusiasm with that choice taken out of your hands though.

Actually I can imagine a screen-less iPod Micro...four buttons:

1. play/pause/off

2. skip forward

3. skip backward

4. shuffle on/off

And, of course, a lock switch.

Finally a way to hang the thing from a lanyard.

Haven't seen the picture, yet, but I could see something round.

UPDATE: I just saw the picture. There are a couple of observations:

1. The layout/photography certainly has that "Apple feel."

2. I am doubtful of "iPod Flash" as the name...seems un-Apple..."iPod micro" seems more likely to me. Also the capitalization is wrong...Apple uses "iPod mini" and "iPod photo"...note the modifier name is in lowercase.

3. The controls seem possible, but why not a click-wheel with the "Menu" button replaced with a "Shuffle" button? Apple has the click-wheel patented...and it is a bit of a trademark as well.

Hard to tell. I don't discount these things anymore because I have seen so many cocksure posters with their "expert" Photoshop analysis end up being dead wrong. Not to mention the wrongness of assuming Oh...Steve would never...[fill in your favorite supposed product atrocity here]!"

• Reply 12 of 26
    I believe The Mac Mind made those images themselves and said as much somewhere in the original article. I had the impression it was a mock-up anyway.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    They're mockups. Well-done mockups, granted.

I don't really see a problem with the screenless interface either, for a lower-capacity player. I've gone back to using the iPod 'phones because of the remote, and most of the time my interface to the iPod is volume, previous track, next track and play/pause. For most of what I need when I'm listening to music (most of the time I have my entire library on shuffle), it's just fine.

I can easily see this design working, especially for (relatively) low capacity players. If you only have 256MB or 512MB of capacity, one playlist and shuffle on/off is probably enough organization.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Exactly.. but most nerds who buy the 40GB iPod did it because they don't want to take the time and build their playlists.

A lot of people get the iPod and every 3 minutes, they viciously attack the thing to get it to play a specific song buried deep within.

Playlists are an art, and most people don't want to take the time and organize a few.

Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

They're mockups. Well-done mockups, granted.

I don't really see a problem with the screenless interface either, for a lower-capacity player. I've gone back to using the iPod 'phones because of the remote, and most of the time my interface to the iPod is volume, previous track, next track and play/pause. For most of what I need when I'm listening to music (most of the time I have my entire library on shuffle), it's just fine.

I can easily see this design working, especially for (relatively) low capacity players. If you only have 256MB or 512MB of capacity, one playlist and shuffle on/off is probably enough organization.

• Reply 15 of 26
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    I bet Apple will sell a $39 or $49 accessory that attaches like the current ipod remote control but instead contains a small scrolling LCD. That's one way to bring the starter price down.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kendoka

"iPod micro"

1 Gb. $149.

2 Gb. $199.

Available in white/silver and a Special Edition matching the new PBG5 (which might even have a slot for the micro-pod)...

Or how about an iPod that fits into the PC Card slot? Don't worry about a special slot on th PBook just make the iPod have a special adapter to slide into the laptop.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Apple has not requested that the images be removed.... which means, well you all know. Phoney. It may well be that the flashpod will have a two line screen, but I'd think it could be on the edge as you wear it looking down to see song titles. A separate "remote" with screen is cumbersome and adds to the overall cost. In 4 weeks or so, we'll know for.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by OrbitPink

I doubt that any Apple iPod would forfeit the design that has made the iPod line so successful. The scroll wheel must remain if the iPod is to be successful, in any form.

Anyone who thinks the flashPod will differ in basic form from the iPod mini needs to read this post over and over until it sinks in.

The flashPod will look exactly like the iPod mini, just thinner, lighter and less expensive. Anything else waters down the brand and creates consumer confusion.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    miuPod

µPod

iPod µ

Hmmm... Olympus would have Apple's ass for that
  • Reply 20 of 26
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Apple has not requested that the images be removed.... which means, well you all know. Phoney. It may well be that the flashpod will have a two line screen, but I'd think it could be on the edge as you wear it looking down to see song titles. A separate "remote" with screen is cumbersome and adds to the overall cost. In 4 weeks or so, we'll know for.

Apple doesn't ask for mockups to be removed, which is why AI uses them.

slughead: The current flash market necessarily consists of people who either have a few CDs, or have only ripped a few of their CDs, or who organize playlists. The amount of memory on the players requires this, and it's 40% of the market.

This particular nerd has spent very little time organizing playlists for his 40GB iPod—he tends to just hit play and shuffle through the whole list.

[edit: I must be asleep. Moving to Digital Hub.]