iPod Flash (size of cookie)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    The new flash iPod.

• Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by OrbitPink

I doubt that any Apple iPod would forfeit the design that has made the iPod line so successful. The scroll wheel must remain if the iPod is to be successful, in any form.

While I think this is quite true, the interpretation of what this means can still provide a lot of room for creativity. I, for one, would love to see a display-less (I never thought of this until now), round iPod with a scroll wheel on the center/front of it. I think this keeps the essence of iPod while still being different enough from the rest of the players.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    > display-less (I never thought of this until now), round iPod with a scroll wheel

A scroll wheel without a display would be like trying to use the mouse with the computer screen turned off...

There has to be a screen with atleast five rows of text in order for the scroll wheel to function properly.

iPod micro: Thinner (and perhaps shorter) - but with the same UI and street cred looks (it will probably even keep the white ear phones), everything else would fail miserably.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kendoka

A scroll wheel without a display would be like trying to use the mouse with the computer screen turned off...

There has to be a screen with atleast five rows of text in order for the scroll wheel to function properly.

This is certainly not true. The click/scroll wheel is used for several functions:

1. skip forward/backward

2. play/pause

3. volume adjustment

4. menu scroll/selection

It is only the last function that is worthless without the menu...and that could be left off or replaced with a shuffle/no-shuffle setting.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

This is certainly not true. The click/scroll wheel is used for several functions:

1. skip forward/backward

2. play/pause

3. volume adjustment

4. menu scroll/selection

It is only the last function that is worthless without the menu...and that could be left off or replaced with a shuffle/no-shuffle setting.

In other words - one would only use the wheel to adjust volume... (1. and 2. are button clicks).

If screen-less, having a wheel (just for volume control) would be insane.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kendoka

In other words - one would only use the wheel to adjust volume... (1. and 2. are button clicks).

If screen-less, having a wheel (just for volume control) would be insane.

Insane? Okay. You're right...it is completely insane.

BTW...you do realize that the button clicks are a function of the (current) click-wheel design...and so the entire device accomoadtes all of those functions into a nice, compact, space-saving area.