The new benchmark! This time - DVD ripping.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello there guys 'n' gals,

Now as we all know we love our DVDs, however, getting your DVD off your shelf every time you want to watch a film is a hassle, so we turn to ripping the DVDs of their content to our HDs. My favourite DVD ripper app is with no doubt HandBrake which allows a variety of video formats and sound formats and is very easy to use.

Personally I go for a target size of 1200MB, with 160kbps AAC. This quality is great and perfect for my HD size, which is a LaCie 320GB Big Disk Extreme. Anyway, it takes me upon the average film (lasting two hours and ten minutes or so) 3.3 hours to rip a DVD at these settings. I'm using a Powerbook 1.33Ghz, 1GB DDR RAM, 80GB 5400rpm HD.

So, does anyone else use this app? And if so, how long does it take you to rip a DVD? I bet the G5s are hella fast.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    while we're at let's find out who uses illegal drugs!

dont steal movies. or music.

edit: ok i know youre not stealing, but youre still violating copyright laws.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    I would have to completely agree with ipodandimac. However, just for the fun of it I took my new DVD I just got and tried it to your specs. I have a Dual 2.0Ghz PowerMac G5 Rev. B with 512 MB of RAM and 2 160GB Segate's running RAID 0 'Striping' and it says it will take 52 mins, but the thing is it's dropping even faster then that. been at it 7 mins now and it's down to 40 mins remaining. I usually use MacTheRipper which will rip a DVD in 24 mins for me but it does not give you nearly the options this one does.

<legal>Like I said copying something that you have no purchased is illegal and I know everyone knows that. Don't steal from people if you expect someone to buy something you make.</legal>
  • Reply 3 of 25
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Nice that's very fast, sorry about the legal stuff guys, but how can this software be made and be advertised as a DVD ripper if it is illegal in any shape of form? Unless you'd want to rip your own DVDs...

Thanks for tryin thugh O4BlackWRX

Could you possibly try the H264 option in video encoding? I've tried but it said it would take hundreds of hours!
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

sorry about the legal stuff guys, but how can this software be made and be advertised as a DVD ripper if it is illegal in any shape of form?

i've often wondered that too. i guess its like the whole VCR thing.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

Could you possibly try the H264 option in video encoding? I've tried but it said it would take hundreds of hours!

What would you like for me to encode and I'll try it for you.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

What would you like for me to encode and I'll try it for you.

Any DVD would be great, one best for comparison would be one that's 2 hours long, and encode with a bitrate of 1024. For me a film on those settings would take me at least 80 hours apparently... I guess it could be because it's a relatively new format and not greatly optimised for. If you can encode it, could you provide a pic of a still frame, as I'd be interested in the quality of the encoding.

Cheers O4BlackWRX (btw, is your name the car you have or something?)
  • Reply 7 of 25
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

No, he's not. It's called Fair Use. Backups are included in that. Check the actual laws before swallowing what the RIAA and MPAA would have you believe.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

No, he's not. It's called Fair Use. Backups are included in that. Check the actual laws before swallowing what the RIAA and MPAA would have you believe.

hmm... thanks for the tip. i'll reconsider my stance
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

hmm... thanks for the tip. i'll reconsider my stance

Cool beans. Spread the word!

Now, it may be that you violate a *license* by making a backup for personal use, but such limitations in a license have been repeatedly shot down in court. If enough people make the same mistake you did though, public opinion may no longer hold that those rights are correct, and we'll lose them.

Stick up for Fair Use anytime you can.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Sweet! I thought it was something along those lines, afterall with games (most of them anyway) you're allowed to store a backup copy on your HD, and I thought that DVDs might be treated the same way... Anyway thanks for the official say on it Kickaha.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Cool program this Handbrake, I'm ripping in about 03:25. Powerbook G4 1.33, 60gb 7200rpm, 1.25 gb. My dual Xeon 3.0 does it in 00:38.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

There's also the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright ACt), which forbids circumvention of copy protection (e.g. DeCSS is illegal in the US). Curiously, though, the DMCA also has a section stating explicitly that defense to infringement, including fair use, are not affected by the Act. So that means that you can still legally make a backup, etc., for your personal use, but a strict reading of the DMCA would hold that the tools you'd use to do it are illegal. I don't think any court has ruled on how that collision is resolved. Though I noticed that those SIMA boxes that let you circumvent MacroVision are still for sale at Best Buy.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    so far I've used a three step process which is pretty easy..

mactheripper --> dvd2oneX --> toast

any progs. avail to split a 8gig dvd onto 2 single layer discs w/ minimal hassle? (entire content)

bah, dvd is boring... gonna have to buy all over again on hd-dvd.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Just ripped the Bad Boys 2 DVD which is 2hrs 26m and it took about 53 minutes using your settings.

This is on a Dual 2.5 G5 with 512MBs ram.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

uhg. go somewhere else if you're gonna be the internet police

Many people use these pieces of software for legal reasons.

Personally, I make copies of some DVDs and reduce them to fit on a CD so they can play in other computers or so that I can bring copies with me to school or on the road. It works well and for watching movies on a laptop, MPEG 4 compression is pretty good and similar to DVD quality.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Already handled, applenut. No need to be the forum police, that's our job. Thanks.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    I'm proud of my Dual 1Ghz Powermac, it manages a DVD rip at the same settings in about 1 hour 45 minutes basically just over twice as fast as my Powerbook. A G5 would be nice though.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Wow! Thanks mattyj, I was hoping to find a simple app to do just this so I can buy a big external drive and take my favourite movies away to university next year

I have a PB12, 1.33GHz, 512MB RAM, and it says 8hours for a 1:55 film. Its on 700MB file 128kbps AAC audio - how do these compression options effect speed?

I am using it to chat and surf also, dunno if you were doing anything else whilst doing it?
  • Reply 19 of 25
    If you have other apps running and are using Handbrake in the background, it'll easily more than halve the performance. I know changing formats can adversely effect performance, but as for size, 700MB will take more compression than 1200MB will, so I guess it could affect performance...

Hope this helps...
  • Reply 20 of 25
    I think it was because I was using the XviD codec. I read the FAQ and the guy says FFmpeg is the same but is far quicker. Am now doing 2 hour movies with 2 pass, video deinterlacing at 700kbps in about 5 hours with other bits running. At one pass I guess it'll take half the time, which sounds about right to me.

Can someone confirm that deinterlacing is a good thing? Is it where they have split the frame into lines and put them back together and doubled half of the rows to make the frame rate right for the different standards (PAL NTSC for example)?