HELP: 15" Superdrive or Combo

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys. More than a month ago I was told by my local apple store that my powerbook was on its way. However due to continuous delays I am told it might arrive next week at the earliest. At this point I don't know if I can wait anymore. This purchase has been months in the making.

I am told that there is a 15" Combo Drive available and I am considering getting it instead.

One of the reasons why I opted for the SD model is the backlit keyboard which is a feature that I have always wanted in a laptop (for use when all the lights are off). I know I will also be loosing the DVD-RW capability and getting a lower capacity drive and memory (If ever, I will definitely pay for an additional 256MB or 512MB RAM with my savings).

But aside from these above mentioned items what else is the difference? Is there a compelling reason to get the SD over the Combo Drive model.

Will 1.33 GHz vs 1.5 GHz make a big difference?

Here are my common tasks and the programs I will be using.

1.) Webdesign (Dreamweaver)

2.) Graphic Design (Photoshop)

3.) Amateur Video Editing (Final Cut)

4.) Office Applications...lots of work on Word, Excel & Powerpoint

5.) Email & Internet

6.) Page Layout & Design (In Design)

7.) Music (I-Tunes)

Your input and suggestions highly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Well, if you're doing video editing you might want that Superdrive for burning your finished project to DVD.

In my opinion the backlit keyboard is overrated. I've checked it out a couple of times just for grins but otherwise have no use for it. I don't like to sit around in the dark and use my computer. It's hard on my eyes.

I'd opt for a faster 5400 or 7200 rpm hard drive over either of the features you're concerned about. A faster drive would make a significant difference in performance, especially for video.

Not sure why you're having to wait so long. I'd be tempted to cancel the order and order from Apple online. That way you can customize it and will probably have it within a week; sooner if you don't customize. If you don't need to customize, consider one of the online "warehouse" stores to save on sales tax.

Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I'm from the Philippines. And based on my computations it is cheaper to get from an Authorized reseller than from the Apple store. Apple online is not an option because they don't send to this region.

Thanks for the input. So what you are saying is get a faster drive and more RAM than fuss about the Superdrive and the Backlit Keyboard?

Josh
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by cyberprince

Thanks for the input. So what you are saying is get a faster drive and more RAM than fuss about the Superdrive and the Backlit Keyboard?

I'd have to think long and hard about the Superdrive if I planned on doing video editing. iDVD won't work without an internal Superdrive, and it's a nice program. The backlit keyboard is nothing but a gimmick, in my opinion. I don't think you would miss it.

I have a PowerBook with a 4200 rpm drive. Occasionally I boot from an external 7200 rpm Firewire drive and the performance difference is quite noticeable when opening/saving files, opening applications, booting up, etc. I maintain a website with thousands of elements. It takes "forever" to open the site in GoLive with that slow drive. My next computer will have a faster drive, for sure.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Backlit keyboard, useless. You shouldn't be looking at the keyboard anyway. Since it doesn't cost Apple anything to make, I think they should put it on all PB as a matter of style / a small extra perk. And turn the effect up as well. People are complaining it doesn't show until it's really dark.

Superdrive, what Dave said. iDVD is the real reason for SD. I went with the combo and there's only one thing I would have liked to do with DVD, burn PS2 games. My friends can do that for me. When you go external you can keep up with the latest developments like the dual layer stuff, not possible with Superdrive.

1.5GHz vs 1.33GHz - only upgrade if you have lots of extra cash, the percentual difference is nonexistant. I don't think you could notice it if you sat at your 1.33GHz computer and someone had come and replaced the processor with a 1.5GHz unit without you knowing it.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    One more comment on the backlit keyboard: I have to look at the keyboard when typing numbers and special characters. When the symbols on the keys are lighted, it actually makes them harder to read in some cases because the light makes the symbols blend with the gray/silver colored keys. Again, I reiterate it's a worthless feature, IMHO.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by cyberprince

Hey guys. More than a month ago I was told by my local apple store that my powerbook was on its way. However due to continuous delays I am told it might arrive next week at the earliest. At this point I don't know if I can wait anymore. This purchase has been months in the making.

you can wait another week or two, if you've waited this long...you ordered the superdrive model in the first place!

btw, lotsa haters on the lit keyboards...is it not useful in the dark? i have never used it, so wondering if anyone who uses their computer in the dark likes it.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    All this talk about getting a faster RPM drive has really made me weigh my options even more.

This just in a few minutes ago. A friend from another forum is selling a 7 month old 17" Powerbook for the price of a new 15" Superdrive version.

It's almost maxed out with 128MB Video Card and also a 80GB 5400 RPM drive instead of the 4200 RPM that comes by default. I think it only has 512MB RAM. What do you guys think?

So many options, my mind is going crazy. I just want a powerbook right now. Its so complicated!

Still haven't made up my mind regarding the Superdrive, but yeah it's the Superdrive model that I ordered in the first place.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Some of the information in this thread is incorrect re: iDVD

iDVD will be installed and will work even if your machine doesn't have a superdrive. You can take the files and burn them somewhere else, or save them for later.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by sworthy

iDVD will be installed and will work even if your machine doesn't have a superdrive. You can take the files and burn them somewhere else, or save them for later.

Really? This must have changed since iDVD first became available. At that time it required an internal Apple superdrive. Sorry if I've mislead anyone.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Really? This must have changed since iDVD first became available. At that time it required an internal Apple superdrive. Sorry if I've mislead anyone.

This feature was intro'ed in iLife '04. It's new--relatively.