Realistically...how long before updated Powerbooks hit the stores?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm one of those people that's waiting for the new powerbook, but I don't want to wait six months. Realistically, what would be everybody's guess as to how long before a new Powerbook that's announced in January hits the store shelves? Let's include 2 scenarios since both would undoubtedly differ in production time:



1)a Powerbook with a speedbump and new hardware .





2) a G5 Powerbook. (which then could have first run bugs that would have to be worked out.)

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 14
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,435member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by 4metta

    I'm one of those people that's waiting for the new powerbook, but I don't want to wait six months. Realistically, what would be everybody's guess as to how long before a new Powerbook that's announced in January hits the store shelves? Let's include 2 scenarios since both would undoubtedly differ in production time:



    1)a Powerbook with a speedbump and new hardware .





    2) a G5 Powerbook. (which then could have first run bugs that would have to be worked out.)




    I'd say Powerbook g4 Speedbump in Jan.



    Powerbook g5 around may-june era.



    That's my guess.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Simple revisions like speed-bumps are almost always available immediately or very quickly (with some exceptions like the 2.5 Ghz G5). New models seem to always have a delay.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    There's no room for even a minor speedbump. I agree with emig647 about a G5 powerbook suddenly being announced may/june timeframe, but I don't think there'll be any new powerbooks before then. We might see a 1.5GHz iBook before then.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by 4metta

    I'm one of those people that's waiting for the new powerbook, but I don't want to wait six months. Realistically, what would be everybody's guess as to how long before a new Powerbook that's announced in January hits the store shelves? Let's include 2 scenarios since both would undoubtedly differ in production time:



    1)a Powerbook with a speedbump and new hardware .





    2) a G5 Powerbook. (which then could have first run bugs that would have to be worked out.)




    i'm betting you could go to an apple store on Jan 12 and pick up a new pbook (assuming its a G4).
  • Reply 5 of 14


    They announced all-new PowerBooks at the MWSF expos in 2001 and 2003 with updates in between. If they stick to this every other year release schedule then we should see something entirely new in January.



    They could break with tradition and announce updated models though. The new 7448 G4 chip could mean the following lineup:



    12" with 1.5 GHz G4

    15" with 1.5 GHz and 1.7 GHz G4

    17" with 1.7 GHz G4



    I wouldn't mind seeing the 15" 1.5 GHz G4 model drop to the $1999 price point and if it had the new 7448 processor it would have better battery life as a bonus.



    I would like to see a 13" widescreen model (1152x768) replace the 12" we have now but I think they would likely save it for the G5 introduction.

  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by 4metta

    I'm one of those people that's waiting for the new powerbook, but I don't want to wait six months. Realistically, what would be everybody's guess as to how long before a new Powerbook that's announced in January hits the store shelves? Let's include 2 scenarios since both would undoubtedly differ in production time:



    1)a Powerbook with a speedbump and new hardware .





    2) a G5 Powerbook. (which then could have first run bugs that would have to be worked out.)




    1. January depending if Freescale has anything better than what's currently shipping.



    2. We could have a PowerBook G5 now if Apple wanted to make a DTR ntebook. Even if IBM did make a lower power version, it would be a miracle to ever see one in a 1 inch Powerbook. Doing so would be sorting of like stuffing a big block Hemi in a Dodge Neon.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    So you would wait until buying a 15" PB right? im planning to do that now - but i could wait till january. do you think thats better?



    i want the best thing for the price...



    thanks for your help :-)



    greetz from vienna,



    Flippo
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Certainly. It's only a month away. Might as well wait.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    i guess (read: hope) we'll see g5 powerbooks in january. the time between the last update and mwsf seems too long for a g4 speedbump. more advanced cpus from freescale are still months away imho.

    just be sure to wait till mwsf; you'd regret buying now whatever steve announces.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Flippo

    So you would wait until buying a 15" PB right? im planning to do that now - but i could wait till january. do you think thats better?

    i want the best thing for the price...

    thanks for your help :-)

    greetz from vienna,

    Flippo




    I was thinking of waiting but I really needed a laptop for work and wasn't going to spend $1000 now on an iBook and turn around and spend another $2000-$3000 in January for a PowerBook so I bought a PowerBook now.



    I got a 15" 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD and 128MB ATI vidcard and use it daily with Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, watching DVD's (plane rides suck), Quickbooks and email/internet and it very quick and zippy. I don't regret it at all because it is a very powerful and portable machine.



    rberry88
  • Reply 11 of 14
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,435member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by rberry88

    I was thinking of waiting but I really needed a laptop for work and wasn't going to spend $1000 now on an iBook and turn around and spend another $2000-$3000 in January for a PowerBook so I bought a PowerBook now.



    I got a 15" 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD and 128MB ATI vidcard and use it daily with Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, watching DVD's (plane rides suck), Quickbooks and email/internet and it very quick and zippy. I don't regret it at all because it is a very powerful and portable machine.



    rberry88




    You'll regret it if 1.5ghz dual core or 1.6ghz g5 comes out in 3 weeks. Both which I doubt, I believe it will just be a 1.7 - 1.8 ghz g4 update.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by emig647

    You'll regret it if 1.5ghz dual core or 1.6ghz g5 comes out in 3 weeks. Both which I doubt, I believe it will just be a 1.7 - 1.8 ghz g4 update.



    All in all i will wait! thanks for that guys! The other question is a financial one now:



    what will a speedbump or even a hotter g5 powerbook cost then?

    will it be in the price sector of 2700 to 3000 dollars then and the actual models go down? or do the actual ones go down and the new ones go up to more than 3000$ ?



    thanks for all the answers...



    greetz from vienna,



    Flippo
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Is the PowerBook future hardware? Shouldn't this thread be locked by some insane MOD because Powerbooks have been around for several years now... Come on - all the iPod threads are being moved - why not this one?



    For what its worth - No NEW PB in Jan



    G4 PB speedbumps - March 2005



    G5 PB (announced) August 2005
  • Reply 14 of 14
    i wouldn't mind a speed-bumped price-dropped book, means i'd be able to afford a reasonable amount of ram.
Sign In or Register to comment.