The Apple Store Scammed Me!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
here's the story:

i have a 3 year old G3 iBook whose keys started to pop off about 3 weeks ago. my applecare ended on dec 1, and i went to the apple store on nov 29. i talked to the genius and he said the damage wasnt covered because it was "preventable". he said i could order a new keyboard for about $100, and i did. so i called up this morning applecare hotline to see if it came in yet or was shipping, and he said that the replacement was covered, but the apple store guy worte down on the "paperwork" that i came in on dec 2, when my app was up. he tried to freaking scam me for 100 bucks. now i have applecare on my side and im going back to the store to pick up my keyboard on mon, when there will be hell to pay...

i love apple and i am a loyal consumer to this store. oddly enough this same guy annoys me everytime i walk in because he must assume im an ordinary "know-nothing consumer" that can be fooled and stalks for a purchase. all i can say is to be careful when working with apple stores, because u never know....

from now on, im gonna order online, even though i like to go and enjoy buying a brand new, (shiny and dentless box) and taking it home.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Dude, that sucks. But with every other store I deal with, I get it in writing. Period. Every time. They hate it, but I won't leave the store without it in writing, no matter what the promise is.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    i asked but he wouldnt give me a copy because he said he was supposed to finish it and then send it out...how much paperwork could there possibly be for a new keyboard.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    my mother just called with another bad apple store genius story.

My brother's iBook finally died. It is part of the logic board recall and he was holding out since it was working fine. Well, it died. So, they drive up to the Westchester mall and get there around 8pm. He tells the genius the problem and says he's here to have him send it back. The genius pays no attention and asks if he has an appointment. My brother and mom say no, they just came up because all he has to do is send it out since it's a recall product. The genius then begins to tell them how they have no idea how much paperwork it takes to fill out and that it will take 20 mins to fill out everything and he has an appointment so he can't do it since the store closes at 9.

What the fuck is that? So, they hung around the store a bit more to see the appointment and it was some old couple having him install OS 9 on their G4 tower and showing them how to eject a disc either by going to the special menu or dragging to the trash. After the appointment the store needed to close and he said he couldn't do it. My mom and brother, being very upset asked for his card and number and he said he didn't have a business card and only gave them a store card. That's bullshit as I know all apple employees have their own business cards. So, my brother is writing a letter to Apple and my mother is going to go back and complain to the manager.

So, my mom and brother were sent away. And forced to make the drive (about 30-40 mins) once again.

Horrible service
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

my mother just called with another bad apple store genius story.

My brother's iBook finally died. It is part of the logic board recall and he was holding out since it was working fine. Well, it died.

no offense, but how stupid do you have to be to keep using a computer knowing that its logic board is going to fail and that you could replace it for free???
  • Reply 5 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Timing? I have a flaky Enet port that I'm holding out on fixing until certain major deadlines are over. In the meantime, I use WiFi.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

no offense, but how stupid do you have to be to keep using a computer knowing that its logic board is going to fail and that you could replace it for free???

um, when a computer is used for school and projects and papers and turning it in when its working perfectly fine means being without a computer for at least a week maybe?

typical apple jackass response. thank you. you can always count on that from people around here.

BTW,

my brother received a call today (voicemail). He had sent his letter/email to Jobs at [email protected] and the voicemail said that Mr. Jobs had asked her to follow up and contact you, please call me back at (number).

Pretty cool.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

um, when a computer is used for school and projects and papers and turning it in when its working perfectly fine means being without a computer for at least a week maybe?

typical apple jackass response. thank you. you can always count on that from people around here.

well whatever. when i know something is broken, i get it fixed. is it worse to go without a computer for a week or risk a logic board failure AND not having it replaced for free?

but anyways, thats cool about the email.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Well considering that the extension program only applies to logic boards that actually are having problems then they didn't really have much choice did they? Not all logic boards sold during this time are going to fail. A good number did and that is why Apple introduced the repair program, but not every one is going to be replaced.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 9 of 13
    If people have to go the head of the organisation to get some service, that is a problem.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

well whatever. when i know something is broken, i get it fixed. is it worse to go without a computer for a week or risk a logic board failure AND not having it replaced for free?

but anyways, thats cool about the email.

mac users seem to have this weird problem of blaming the user first. it's something that turns a lot of people off from the mac in the first place
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I'm not sure what the deal is with the Apple Store . My mother went to buy a G5 iMac a few weeks ago at the ApSt in oak Brook Illinois. She wanted more RAM. They told her that she should order it herself and bring the Mac and the RAM back to them for installation!? Strange. I would think they would have tons of RAM in store and just pop it in in when A customer wants an upgrade. Anyway, she just ordered the whole thing from the Apple Store online and got what she wanted.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Beige_G3

I'm not sure what the deal is with the Apple Store . My mother went to buy a G5 iMac a few weeks ago at the ApSt in oak Brook Illinois. She wanted more RAM. They told her that she should order it herself and bring the Mac and the RAM back to them for installation!? Strange. I would think they would have tons of RAM in store and just pop it in in when A customer wants an upgrade. Anyway, she just ordered the whole thing from the Apple Store online and got what she wanted.

Maybe it was just an employee that wanted to see her get a better deal. I would never advise purchasing RAM for the computer companies (Apple, Dell, Gateway), but instead get the minimal RAM and upgrade it yourself from some place like Crucial.

Andrew
  • Reply 13 of 13
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Andrew is right, the store was trying to save her money. (So it was probably a reseller, and not an actual Apple Store. )

Apple overcharges for its add-on RAM. It's far, far cheaper to buy compatible RAM from another company and have it installed. At a reseller where I worked, we did that all the time to save people money. Normally, we kept the RAM in stock, but sometimes it sold quicker than we could keep it in.