The AI/Audible book of the month club anyone?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am subscribing to Audible and gets two books a month. I tend to choose semi political science book and listen to them while commuting, cooking or riding my bike.

If anyone is interested it would be cool to listen to the same book and then argue it here. I would recommend "The future of freedom" by Fareed Zakaria.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I want in.

How would this work? Would I have to buy it, too or would you hook me up?

Would this play on the iPod?

I love political science!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I think it's a good idea. I'm not sure how well it would work here, to be honest, but it's worth a try. I think I'd rather just buy the book though, given that it's half the cost of the audiobook on iTunes.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    As an alternative to an expensive audiobook, the Radio 4 discussion programme "In Our Time" has a bunch of hour long discussions available in it's archive and the new episodes are available as mp3s in an RSS feed to podcast.

In Our Time archive

Info about Podcasting

The religious topics would be particularly entertaining.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I'm not so sure the concept has been well explained in the initial post. Are we talking about trading audio books or just all listening to the same book and having a discussion ala a book club?

Nick
  • Reply 5 of 7
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Ohh. Yes. I see that I didn´t make it clear.

Audible only lets you use the "books" on a limited number of computers. So you would have to buy a program for yourselves unfortunately.

So let me separate things:

1) Audible is highly recommended service. And with their subscriptions they give access to cheap high profile books.

2) Maybe one way of lifting the quality of discussion here is to discuss one novel but thoroughly explained idea, like they are done in books. So if someone have read a good thought provoking book please feel free to post in AO as an suggestion.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

If I find some place that rents them, I would consider doing that, but I cannot for the life of me justify paying $10 or more for a book I can get in printed form for between $4-8, keep on my shelf and enjoy in an entirely more satisfying way.

My local library has audiobooks on CD, which can be ripped with iTunes and with a little bit of fiddling around tranformed into iPod compatible audiobooks (which gives you speed-up and bookmarking features on more recent pods).

I've been using it for Michel Thomas and Pimsluer Language learning tools, which obviously benefit from the medium more than someone just reading the text of a novel. They also have a range of literature companions for students, kind of like audio cliff notes, with titles like 'first world war poets' etc. which I find interesting for poems and plays, particularly old fashioned english.

And since I've just found out that I can reserve books/CDs online at my library it's opened up a whole new world for my iPod.