Skippy the iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I was setting up my folks new G5 iMac when I noticed that I wasn't able to copy stuff from the DVD drive AND listen to something playing in iTunes without the audio skipping.

It's a 1.6GHz with 512MB of RAM. Surely I should be able to copy stuff from the DVD drive without iTunes having a fit? Brand new, professionally ripped DVD - not something I created myself.

Is this normal or should I be worrying about this? I haven't seen iTunes skipping since my G3/96MB RAM days...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Funny, I have the same problem on my PC. May just be an iTunes issue.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Just to be clear, you were listening to music on your hard drive through iTunes while copying a file from the DVD-drive and the music was skipping right?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

Just to be clear, you were listening to music on your hard drive through iTunes while copying a file from the DVD-drive and the music was skipping right?

Yep, that's right. The music file I was listening to was already on the hard disk. Is this a well known problem?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    No problems copying files form a CD and DVD on my 1ghz AlBook 768MB. Music playing from the internal HDD and files coping to that same HDD.

OS X 10.3.6, iTunes 4.7

seems like a strange problem.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Hey, my first post!

I also just got a new G5 iMac and the same thing happened to me. Well I read somewhere, possibly at this site even that you should open preferences and go to power management or power saver I forget which. I am on my pc at work, anyway there is a tab for processor speed. I believe default is automatic, which is ok for most things I guess but I set mine on highest and have just left it there.

Well that fixed it for me and hopefully you as well.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by podman

Hey, my first post!

I also just got a new G5 iMac and the same thing happened to me. Well I read somewhere, possibly at this site even that you should open preferences and go to power management or power saver I forget which. I am on my pc at work, anyway there is a tab for processor speed. I believe default is automatic, which is ok for most things I guess but I set mine on highest and have just left it there.

Well that fixed it for me and hopefully you as well.

I'll give that a go!

• Reply 7 of 8
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Yep, that's right. The music file I was listening to was already on the hard disk. Is this a well known problem?

Just ignore this if you've already worked through the following diagnosis.

iTunes will skip when playing from an optical disc which is being accessed by another program. It might be good to verify that you were playing the file from your music library on the hard drive rather than from an optical disc.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    You are correct on that dfiler. However when I first received my iMac I got a skip listening to a song on iTunes and just surfing the web.

I could not believe it, so I started loading the processor with other apps trying to duplicate it. I could not duplicate it very often but it did happen. It really ticked me off as I have two other macs and it had never happened to me. My first one being a lowly 500Mhz G3 iBook with 384Mb of ram. Love that iBook!

Anyway like I posted earlier setting the processor speed to highest did the trick. I am not a big gamer but I did buy halo just after getting the G5 iMac. As for the game I can only say WOW! Now having the processor speed on automatic I would occasionally drop a substantial number of frames, put it on highest and it seldom happens. Automatic seems to really lag.

I try to be carefull before putting it to sleep and let the fans cool things down a bit, as you can hear the fans at full speed and if you either click it to sleep from finder or hit the power button once it just shuts down and falls asleep immediately (kinda like me). I would think the fans would/should stay on for a short while.

Well I kinda went off topic but I just wanted to say that yes, I have had a song stutter on the iMac doing something other than a optical disk access.