MCE Technologies upgrades...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just wanted to ask if anyone has had any experiene with MCE Technologies upgrades, especially the iBook. I sent my iBook G3 to them almost six weeks ago, and still don't have it back yet. Here is the basic story:

I sent my iBook in for a combo drive upgrade on November 1st and they received it on the 5th. On the 23rd, I get an e-mail saying the combo drives are in short supply, and that they will install a super drive instead and ship it that day.

On the 30th, I call to ask about the status and am told that there was a bad batch of super drives. New ones should be in the next day, then my laptop will ship back to me.

Today, I call again and am told that a combo drive was installed, and should ship today. So far, I haven't rec'd a shipping notification from them, and am a little dissapointed.

I guess it wouldn't have been so bad if they would have made the effort to contact me instead of my having to call. Also, maybe I am wrong in this, but since I was promised a super drive because of the delay they should honor that.

Today, I sent a polite e-mail to customer service telling them the above, and that overall I don't know if I could recommend their service to anyone else. Maybe they will reply, but I cannot be confident of that.

Does anyone here have any experience with their work? If so, I would like to hear it, and hope what happened to me doesn't happen to anyone else.

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Sounds a little shady if you ask me. Six weeks? Thanks for the heads up, I was considering a similar upgrade, and now I now it would never be worth that.

Let us know if the machine is OK when you get it back.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Here is the latest update...

My iBook shipped late yesterday according to an email i received. So far, I have not received a reply to the message I sent to customer service concerning my experience. Though I probably shouldn't expect one too soon. The only thing in the message I received yesterday was a tracking number, etc..

The laptop is supposed to arrive Friday, so we will see what happens then.

More updates later.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Update time...

My iBook arrived Friday afternoon, and the CD tray will not eject on its own, or with a paper clip inserted into the eject hole. I also tried ejecting through iTunes with no luck either.

The CD will make a clicking noise sometimes, and other times the bar and arrow symbol does not even appear. This is kind of strange.

So... I called MCE and let them know what is going on. After talking with a service rep, he transferred me to the president of the company. He said that my account would be credited back what I spent. Also, the service rep gave me a return authorization to send it back for repair.

Since it doesn't work at all, I feel like being at a point of having to send it back in. Hopefully they will be able to repair it, and get it back to me quickly. It was nice of them to offer to credit my account back, but I am more concerned about having my laptop work properly.

This the story so far. I am sending the iBook out today FedEx overnight priority. They should have it Monday morning, and then I will call to find out what is going on. I will let everyone know what happens then.