What are you giving/getting for Christmas?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, I recently went on a spree that amassed several items for friends and family, and I'm determined to spend the rest of the available funds for the same cause.

Who knows, maybe this will pay back someday.

Thinkgeek has been a great source, (seeing as those are the types of friends that I have ), including a binary clock, caffeine products, etc. And copy of The Onion Ad Nauseum Volume 14 for one of my more cynical friends.

I have the feeling that I'll be giving a lot more than I'll be getting this year, and that's probably appropriate as I approach adulthood.

All on my list is an MX510. All I want, all I need. I already gave myself the gifts of an extra gig of RAM, I thank myself for feeling the holiday spirit.

What have you all expecting/giving this Christmas?

note: I have completely discarded the concept of Christmas as a religious holiday, it's degenerated (or rather, evolved, since I'm of the secular variety) so much from its origins that it's barely a pious event anymore.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Pssh. Adulthood.

Adulthood for males is all about letting someone else worry about giving gifts.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I'm not yet sure about what I'm giving. I'm going to venture out early on Saturday this weekend and hope that inspiration strikes.

The only good idea I've had so far is picking up a couple of knock off bags in Chinatown (NYC) for my kid sister. Every time she visits me she leaves with a $15 version of the latest LV or Gucci or whatever (by the time they've fallen apart they're not cool anymore, so they suit her needs perfectly). If I can bribe one of my fashionista female friends to accompany me shopping and tell me what's hot in handbags I should be able to keep my sister stocked for another year.

My two brothers are easiest to shop for. I just get them stuff I'd want myself. Only one of them will be home this year, so the process will be even easier.

Parents are trickiest. I can't think of anything they want or need (aside from a long vacation). The main pitfall I need to avoid is getting them the same stuff as last year.

My girlfriend and I have agreed to exchange gifts after the holidays, as we both have a bunch of stuff to get for others. It's her birthday next week though, and I'm definitely not off the hook on that one.

Friends will get cheap, vaguely amusing plastic crap. Probably purchased en masse at Kid Robot and Toy Tokyo and assigned as gifts later. These two stores have generated some really great gift ideas in the last few years, and I think both do online sales. Check them out.

No idea what I'm getting. Don't really want or need anything that I could reasonably expect anyone to buy me (Nokia 9500, Studio Electronics SE-1X). Buying gifts for others and trying to find something you know they'll go nuts over is more fun anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Last year I got world peace. Unfortunately it was broken and the shop wouldn´t replace it
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Last year I got world peace. Unfortunately it was broken and the shop wouldn´t replace it

You shouldn't have taken the tags off.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

did they save the receipt?