I know nobody cares, but...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is the "General Discussion" forum, so ...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/09/nig...ing/index.html

"Dimebag" Darrell is one of my top three idols. And Vinnie Paul (if he is among the fallen) is a drum god. This is a beyond a travesty. And should not happen anywhere, period. It should be known, this ranks up there with Lennon being shot (which I'm told he died today also). Yes it does.

And before anyone goes saying "someone named 'Dimebag' deserved it." You need to check yourself and realize that these people were great insperations to individuals, myself included, wheter you listen to heavy music or not.

RIP

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The shocking thing is that it wasn't a rappper being shot at.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    The shocking thing is that in happened on stage in full view. A bloody awful thing to do .
  • Reply 3 of 28
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. SG

It should be known, this ranks up there with Lennon being shot (which I'm told he died today also). Yes it does.

what are you on?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

The shocking thing is that it wasn't a rappper being shot at.

yeah rappers invented shootings, you're a racist pig, scott.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Loving the tone of this thread - not.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Hmm. I thought racism had to do with the colour of the skin, not the music of choice.

Talking about racism and music: http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=67855
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

yeah rappers invented shootings, you're a racist pig, scott.

All rappers are black now?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

All rappers are black now?

you're saying hip-hop culture is not afro-centric?
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

what are you on?

Mostly emotion.

I'm speaking from an entertainers standpoint. Just because Lennon was a more popular entertainer than Dime, doesnt make his death any more in vein. These people were insperations to others, period. Lennon wasn't everyone's idol, neither was Dime, but they did encourage and inspire people, and did so in a healthy way, staying true to themselves, and what they believed in. Dime died with guitar in hand for god sake. Not everyone finds insperation the same way. Its the same "generation gap" that most everyone faces with their parents. And I think its sad that not everyone can respect anothers point of view on that.

If people wanna base ones legacy on record sales and overall popularity, they can go right ahead. Life is more important than statistics. I grew up listeing to Pantera, they were my Beatles, same with thousands of others. I'm not saying Dime = Lennon, no way. And I apologize if my Lennon remark came off as ignorant. For what they were able to achieve, being an idol for people, is something, unfortunatly, not everyone can achieve. And its too bad they both had to fall the same way.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Let's all get sanctimonious and pretend that rap starts are not either being shot at or shooting at other people at a much higher rate than any other group in music. Anyone that says otherwise is a "racist".
  • Reply 11 of 28
    exactly. the loss of lennon impacted society and culture.

of course any loss of life is a shame. but to equate the loss of "dimebag" to the loss of Lennon is completely unneccessary and an insult to lennon's legacy
  • Reply 12 of 28
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

The point is that Pantera as a heavy metal influence could have easily been replaced by any number of bands. There was no replacement for the Beatles.

Another point is the question of pro-peace activism. Were Pantera and Damageplan activist bands? Did Dime Bag write lots of songs that inspire love and tolerance, like "Imagine" and "Give Peace a Chance"?

<lyrics>

Truly inspiring.

Gee, I'd have thought liberalism and moral relativism would be a bit less judgmental towards anyone's viewpoint or statements or lyrics.

Surely the quoted lyrics are just the other side of the same coin to Lennon's esteemed songs.

Please tell me there isn't, like, a type of artistic elitism on behalf of Beatles/Lennon fans that would judge one over the other?

Let's not pretend Lennon wasn't human and didn't have the same apathy/ennui/hate/despair/rage/contempt/outrage that punk/metal/goth/industrial bands XYZ have. That he took a different approach than "dimebag" did is not for us to judge. It's only a sign of the times.

Besides, expecting there to be bands/people to be as influential as the Beatles/Lennon were, overlooks the differences in the music industry (demographics/reach/infrastructure/politics/ownerships) between then and now.

With "overchoice" (in the "Future Shock" sense) and myriad specialized sub-genres (and with elitist/cliquish lifestyles tightly tied to them) a Beatles-type phenomenon is less and less likely.

For the record, I've almost never listened to Pantera and never heard of the new band, nor am I particularly fond of the Beatles (if only due to incessant hype and peripheral-overplay for 35 years of my life).
  • Reply 13 of 28
    well tonton, you've chosen to compartmentalize John Lennon by two songs that don't come near expressing some of the pent up rage that was inside him at various points in his life.

think about his scathing records directed to paul (which were never returned in kind) or the first four records after he left the beatles, a lot of rage there....
  • Reply 14 of 28
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

The point is that Pantera as a heavy metal influence could have easily been replaced by any number of bands. There was no replacement for the Beatles.

That's your opinion.

Music is extremely subjective.

Just because you don't appreciate that genre of music doesn't make your statement that Pantera was just like any other band a truth or a fact.

It's your opinion and it's quite irrelevant.

If they are mourning, let them mourn. Don't diss them for it.

Pantera was/is a huge influence to that sect of music. This is a huge loss for those fans.

Basically, you seem to be saying my God (Lennon) is better than your God (Dimebag).

Absolutes like that are never true.

And for the record, Lennon is a God for me. He and the Beatles truly changed my life. Never bought a Pantera record, nor am I into that genre, but the dude had talent.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

That's your opinion.

Music is extremely subjective.

Just because you don't appreciate that genre of music doesn't make your statement that Pantera was just like any other band a truth or a fact.

It's your opinion and it's quite irrelevant.

If they are mourning, let them mourn. Don't diss them for it.

Pantera was/is a huge influence to that sect of music. This is a huge loss for those fans.

Basically, you seem to be saying my God (Lennon) is better than your God (Dimebag).

Absolutes like that are never true.

Well said. We are turning into a bunch of people who can't tolerate those with a different viewpoint.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Well said. We are turning into a bunch of people who can't tolerate those with a different viewpoint.

no, we are turning into a society who needs to outdo each other or be equal

why did a comparison to John Lennon need to be brought up at all. The original poster even knew it would be controversial and argued when he tried to strengthen his statement by saying "Yes it does"
  • Reply 17 of 28
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

why did a comparison to John Lennon need to be brought up at all.

Because to him, Dimebag was as important to him as John is to you.

Can't you understand that?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    applenut likes to find opportunities to put people down, particularly in matters of taste. I wouldn't stare too deeply into this.

Metalers have a tendency to die young, even those that don't really live more dangerously than do other rock stars. "Spinal Tap" turned this into a joke, which was actually pretty funny.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

applenut likes to find opportunities to put people down, particularly in matters of taste. I wouldn't stare too deeply into this.

I'm not putting anything or anyone down. If you knew anything about me you'd know that I take the loss of any life very seriously and emotionally. I do however, take issue with the need to compare this loss of life to the death of John Lennon and say it is of the same magnitude. that is all. The original poster knew it would be a controversial statement and therefore anticipated this thread turning more into defending that then commenting on the loss of dimebag.

I've learned to take any comment you make not too deeply so hearing that from you really doesn't resonate at all.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    You are precious.