16x DVD±R drives

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anybody got any experience of 16x DVD±R drives?

Have you managed to burn a disc at 16x yet? Are they reliable?

I believe that if you use good quality media, you can burn 8x blanks at 12x & 16x speed. There do however seem to be a lot of people saying they can only burn at 8x.

I haven't seen any 12x or 16x media out there.

Just wondering if its still an immature technology?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    I installed a Pioneer DVR-108 in my PowerMac G4 1.25 MDD Tower. It?s a 16x DL DVD+/-R burner.

After flashing the firmware to version 1.14 I have been able to burn 8x at 12x without any problems.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member

I guess it's time to invest in a 16x drive then!

I noticed that Verbatim have announced 16x DVD+R media, but I can't see 16x DVD-R yet?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    Quite honestly, I don't think there is demand for 16x DVD-R media. The +R format pretty much seems to be today's standard.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    16x DVD-R media has not been released yet, but it's coming soon. -R is the standard in my house...

For more that you ever wanted to know about burning, read http://www.cdfreaks.com/
  • Reply 5 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    That's interesting!

I didn't realise that it's only the last zone (4.0GB~4.4GB) that is written at the full 16x.

0.0GB~0.4GB @ 6x

0.4GB~1.9GB @ 8x

1.9GB~4.0GB @ 12x

4.0GB~4.4GB @ 16x

I had assumed that the whole disc was written at 16x? So if you're like me and your rarely write a full disc, then you'll never see the speed benefits...

...bummer