The old version of Pirates - where can I find it?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
All of this PC/Xbox hoopla about the new Pirates makes me miss the old one......

I know the game is old - it must be cuz i played it on c64, but i wouldn't mind playing again.

So:

a) was there a version made for mac?

b) can i run it on OS X? (I am one of them newfangled switchers - iBook g4-800) who never ran Classic MacOS of any flavor)

c) where can I find it?

d) if i can't run it in OS X, is there an emulator I could use to play it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lunchable Food Product

All of this PC/Xbox hoopla about the new Pirates makes me miss the old one......

I know the game is old - it must be cuz i played it on c64, but i wouldn't mind playing again.

So:

a) was there a version made for mac?

b) can i run it on OS X? (I am one of them newfangled switchers - iBook g4-800) who never ran Classic MacOS of any flavor)

c) where can I find it?

d) if i can't run it in OS X, is there an emulator I could use to play it?

a) Yes

b) Not natively... requires Classic... might even need booting in OS9 (or earlier)

c) The Lost Tavern

d) Classic should work.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I think you need to run something even older than os 9. There is an emulator called baselisk, but I've never gottten it to work properly. Even though I have a copy of pirates...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    That's a negaotry on the lost tavern - i can't find anything except dead links to microprose.

anyone wanna just email the files--they can't be that big, being like, what, 15 years old?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Macintosh Garden has both the original port

and Pirates! Gold

each about 7.5MB download... the user comments on each page provide some tips on usage in Panther and other helpful pointers for playability
  • Reply 5 of 15
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Download doesn't seem to work for Pirates Gold
  • Reply 6 of 15
    The PC version is up at the Microprose Abandonware pages

As for the Mac version...

Direct download link for PiratesGold.tmg.sit (7.8Mb) - tested working.

from a link here

and Google is your friend.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Pirates! Gold runs perfectly in Classic.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Arrrr!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    This is such funny timing! I just got two boxed sets of Pirates Gold (PC version) from one of the original developers. When I helped my friend move apartments the other day I saw the boxes sitting around in shrink wrap and I asked if he was a collector. I had no idea that he had worked on the game - he did some of the art and some of the 3d animation.

He just gave the boxes to me when I told him that I used to spend many hours traipsing around the Carribbean with my trusty Barque. Said he needed to get rid of a lot of stuff, but had been waiting to give it to someone who would appreciate it

I spent about an hour the other night getting it running under virtual PC (still a bit too slow between scenes on a modestly powered eMac), and then tried DosBox to see if that would run it faster. Thus far it crashes in Dosbox on install.

I was just about ready to look for a Mac native version when I saw your posts!

Its so perfect that you started a thread about this while I am sitting here looking at two boxes of the original - one still shrink wrapped! And I hadn't even thought about this game in like 10 years. Too wierd!!!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Curufinwe

This is such funny timing! I just got two boxed sets of Pirates Gold (PC version) from one of the original developers. When I helped my friend move apartments the other day I saw the boxes sitting around in shrink wrap and I asked if he was a collector. I had no idea that he had worked on the game - he did some of the art and some of the 3d animation.

He just gave the boxes to me when I told him that I used to spend many hours traipsing around the Carribbean with my trusty Barque. Said he needed to get rid of a lot of stuff, but had been waiting to give it to someone who would appreciate it

I spent about an hour the other night getting it running under virtual PC (still a bit too slow between scenes on a modestly powered eMac), and then tried DosBox to see if that would run it faster. Thus far it crashes in Dosbox on install.

I was just about ready to look for a Mac native version when I saw your posts!

Its so perfect that you started a thread about this while I am sitting here looking at two boxes of the original - one still shrink wrapped! And I hadn't even thought about this game in like 10 years. Too wierd!!!

Do you mean to tell me you broke the shrink wrap on original software classic before checking Google to find the dozens of PC download options? \
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Ok, am done complaining about how slow it runs on Virtual PC.

Now using the Mac version and the naval battles run so fast they are impossible. Anyone know of a way to slow down the clock on old games under classic? Someone suggested using developer tools to disable your L2 and L3 cache. . . that definitely sounds like you would have to restart the machine, and I am not even sure it would be slow enough.

Any thoughts?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Do you mean to tell me you broke the shrink wrap on original software classic before checking Google to find the dozens of PC download options? \

But there was air from 1993 trapped in there crying to get out. . . from back before pollution!

What was I gonna do? Sell it? Keep the box sealed on the shelf and play what I could download?

Seriously, having the manuals is cool. Games used to ship with a crapload of documentation, art, manuals and other stuff, like an old role-playing game. Granted, Pirates is a somewhat complex game, but this game booklet is like 100 pages thick with original art!

Also how can you beat: "Dos 3.3 and higher required for play"

I wonder what the Mac packaging said? What system was out then?

I'm gonna give the other box to a friend from work, who had a similar addiction in his youth. He is an x86 guy, but linux thankfully, so he will try to run it under vmware.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Thanks for the download link!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    runs verry well in VPC with windows98 on my PB12"... a bit to fast actually. I remember being so much better on those naval battles...
  • Reply 15 of 15
    All I had to do to get it to run in classic was set the display to 256 colors, then it ran pretty much flawlessly, though sea combat as a little fast.