Inside Mac OS X Tiger build 8A323

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by oceanzen

By far the best thing about Tiger for me, will be the fact that it is 64 bit and so should show considerable difference to the speed ( I hope).

First of all, Tiger isnt 64 bit. It is 32 bit, with specific 64 bit optimizations for the G5's.

Secondary, 64 bit isnt gonna give you more than 0-5% more speed.
  • Reply 42 of 69
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Targon

sounds like u are suggesting some cryptic method of entering a preference to use a stylesheet in the 'com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist'.

i entered in the terminal

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 OWUserStyleSheetLocation

command not found

a simple UI pref woiuld be nice

Here's an idea... if you don't like OW, you don't like the workarounds people have given you, and you are going to complain at each stage when people are trying to help... don't use it.

defaults is in /usr/bin/defaults - try typing it that way.
  • Reply 43 of 69
    So if Tiger was purely 64-bit, it would run at least twice as fast as Panther does?
  • Reply 44 of 69
    *Sigh*

No.

64-bit *ONLY* refers to memory access and bus-wdith. It has jack all to do with computation speed unless you're dealing with massive amounts of data, and then it only has to do with getting data to/from the CPU.

In some cases, it can actually slow down computation by a few percent.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

shibnitz(n): 1. Da bomb. 2. r0x0rs. 3. bitchin'. cf. Spotlight.

Your variant of shiznitz?
  • Reply 46 of 69
    An new information about this build? Screenshots?
  • Reply 47 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

Your variant of shiznitz?

I am but a trendsetter.

Oh and lookie here: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041211-4454.html

Turns out WinFS, the behavioural user-end equivalent of Spotlight, isn't even going to see the light of day by Longhorn *Server*. They're thinking another 4 years out at this point. Wow.

(Note I said behavioural user-end equivalent because while it is radically different under the hood, the goal was to provide the same sort of metadata flexibility to the user that Spotlight will offer - *without* requiring developers to go insane rewriting their back ends, or users to learn a whole new approach at one shot.)
  • Reply 48 of 69
    Quote:

(Note I said behavioural user-end equivalent because while it is radically different under the hood, the goal was to provide the same sort of metadata flexibility to the user that Spotlight will offer - *without* requiring developers to go insane rewriting their back ends, or users to learn a whole new approach at one shot.)

Yep, it's been suggested that Spotlight is a first step on Apple's path for future filesystem-related enhancements rather than forcing developers/users to take one long WinFS-type jump. Seeing Spotlight as a beginning rather than the end gives it a fairer comparison with WinFS.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    Yeah, Apple has learned this lesson well: train the users slowly, with neat new tools in certain apps that they learn to love, and then deploy them across the board after they've been fine-tuned.

Eg, smart playlists, iTunes' search field. iTunes was the proving ground, and it has turned out to be a fantastic UI addition. So much so, that we're about to see it in darned near every app Apple ships. Address Book, Mail, Finder... anything that deals with collections of data (which is most things we do on the computer, in my experience) is about to get a huge upgrade thanks to this little pair of ideas.

The march to a database based filesystem really started with iTunes, if you think about it. Users are now prepped and not only are they not *afraid* of the new UI features, they can't *wait* for them.

That's salesmanship.

Longhorn's approach was going to force users to get comfy with a radically new approach all at one shot. "You're going to use it, and you're going to *like* it!" Ditto for the developers. Getting developers on board with CoreData means that when the inevitable shift occurs under the hood, those devs will be already ready for it. Slick.
  • Reply 50 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Targon

My criteria again if u missed it, 'a small light app to simply open an excel file'.

Targon, check out the program icExcel.

It just might be what you are looking for.

http://www.panergy-software.com/prod...cel/index.html

I'm not connected with the developer and I haven't actually tried the program myself...
  • Reply 51 of 69
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Can anyone comment on whether or not Mail.app plays better with Groupwise appointments now? The current version doesn't indicate that calendar items have been moved to the calendar folder and are unread (and so I miss appointments). I'd love to switch back to Mail.app from Entourage, but these "hidden" appointments are a deal-breaker.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eric_Z

Hmmm, does anybody know if smart folders are fully scriptable? So that there'd be a easy way to, say, show the 20 most used aplications that isn't in the dock. As i imagine that the current interface doesn't allow you to do that, or...?

I don't know about that, but I do know that SpotLight is integrated in Automator so you can use its results to create Workflows.

Mike
  • Reply 53 of 69
    Quote:

The march to a database based filesystem really started with iTunes, if you think about it.

Thanks for the reminder. Forgot I've even used iTunes as a simple example to explain why Spotlight will be cool.

And CoreData will be the shiznitz, too.
  • Reply 54 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

dose QUICKTIME MPEG4 AVC/H.264 encode/decode work in these builds or is it not present?

Ahhh good question. Anyone? ... Anyone?

Any hint of native HDV support?
  • Reply 55 of 69
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

And CoreData will be the shiznitz, too.

CoreData rulez?. Definitely.
  • Reply 56 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

Ahhh good question. Anyone? ... Anyone?

Any hint of native HDV support?

Removed
  • Reply 57 of 69
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

Thanks for the reminder. Forgot I've even used iTunes as a simple example to explain why Spotlight will be cool.

I find there's one other simple thing which makes Spotlight and iTunes searching so super useful, and that's live searching as you type. You don't have to type something, then wait for results, then reselect the search box, change your search, rinse and repeat, it's so much simpler... In iTunes, half the time I don't even finish typing my search phrase, as after a few letters I see the track I was after anyway.

I wonder if Microsoft will pick up on this - I've not used their new desktop search toolbar, but the demo flash suggests that it isn't the case.

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 58 of 69
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MasonMcD

This?

3G

awesome, thanks

if you do any encoding can you give your machine's specs (processor, ram) what source file is and destination, and approx speed?

for example, if you have 1 minute of DV material and convert it to a 512kbs MPEG4 AVC/H.264 file, can you tell me how long it took to do? Is there option for double pass?

The more the info, the better!

Thanks
  • Reply 59 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

awesome, thanks

if you do any encoding can you give your machine's specs (processor, ram) what source file is and destination, and approx speed?

for example, if you have 1 minute of DV material and convert it to a 512kbs MPEG4 AVC/H.264 file, can you tell me how long it took to do? Is there option for double pass?

The more the info, the better!

Thanks

Removed
  • Reply 60 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

CoreData rulez?. Definitely.

I am confused about a lot of the details on CoreData. Could you go into any details about what advantages it offers?