virtual pc??

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
so im about to make the switch, and then i came across this virtual pc programm. is it worth getting? what cons does it have? should i just forget about the pc software i own, and get mac versions?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I use it ot run MS Access databases or Visual Basic projects but if you want to play windows games forget it, its just too slow. Remember that you would need a fast mac and a lot of RAM to make VPC usable
  • Reply 2 of 7
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    It really, really depends on what you need it for.

If you just want to run Access once in a while, or use IE on Windows for certain websites, it can be worth it.

If, however, you need the Windows system to respond quickly, run heavy apps or games, you might as well spend a few hundred dollars more for a cheap PC.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ok, sounds like its not really worth getting. my sister wanted to run sims + all her add ons, but i guess shell be selling them and using that money to buy mac versions.

thanks for your help!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    How well does VPC 7 work on an iMac 20" 1.8 Ghz G5? I am considering getting it while I am still a college student and can get a discount.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    See Alberto's answer. It really depends on what you're using it for. General Office apps should be fine, however games won't be fast enough. I think someone's mentioned in another thread using AutoCAD without too much problem.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

See Alberto's answer. It really depends on what you're using it for. General Office apps should be fine, however games won't be fast enough. I think someone's mentioned in another thread using AutoCAD without too much problem.

When you install VPC does it give you your equivalent speed for a PC? how do you know if you buy software if it will run on your computer?

Macaddict16
  • Reply 7 of 7
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Yes, I can use AutoCad 2005 LT with no problems. A little lag and the mouse cursor stays in the picture over the cross hairs but all in all, not bad for a quick edit or short drawing. I wouldn't want to use it all day at work though.

Btw, I have a 20" G5 iMac with the 160 gig hdd and 1 gig of ram, and super drive. I love it!!

Eric