Comments

• Reply 101 of 178
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hdcool

I don't care what apple's plans are for the next powerbookline

all i want is a better battery!

and Tiger

i think I'm going to wait till tiger comes out before buying my powerbook g5/g4 dual-core whatever it is. It does look amazing. Better battery would be good, i want it to be thin though as well.
  • Reply 102 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

i think I'm going to wait till tiger comes out before buying my powerbook g5/g4 dual-core whatever it is. It does look amazing. Better battery would be good, i want it to be thin though as well.

will it be full price to upgrade from panther to tiger, if i, say, buy a new model pb in january and they release tiger a couple of months later?
  • Reply 103 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by drsuse

will it be full price to upgrade from panther to tiger, if i, say, buy a new model pb in january and they release tiger a couple of months later?

I hope Apple offers some kind of coupon where you will be able to upgrade to Tiger for less.
  • Reply 104 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by s_sarinana

I hope Apple offers some kind of coupon where you will be able to upgrade to Tiger for less.

yep, $180 CDN is a little steep especially after spending $3000 CDN on a new PB + paying for accessories + applecare.
  • Reply 105 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by s_sarinana

they did with the PowerMac, but only after it was announced! What are those software coupons you get with new Macs for anyway?
  • Reply 106 of 178
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

I don't think so. How long was it from the PowerBook G3 till the iBook G3?

2 years

How long from a PowerBook G4 to a iBook G5?

2 and a half years

While I'm not suggesting that an iBook G5 will be here in 3 years I really don't think it'll be as soon as 2005. The iBooks are selling really well and i see minor revisions on the horizon but nothing major till 2006 (or late 2005 but not a G5). Apple like to have a couple of processors in their line-up. It's useful if there are supply issues.

(BTW a PowerMac G4 was two years earlier than a PowerBook G4)

There is a reason to think that this time the lag wll be shorter. The G3 and G4 are very similar - they run the same software. Sure, Altivec is nice and speeds things up, but there is no software that can't live without it. My G3 iBook runs everything any other Mac runs.

The G5 is 64-bit. If Apple are planning to support 64-bit applications, they need to get their entire lineup to 64 bits ASAP. They can't have things like Photoshop 8 runs on all Macs, but if you want Photoshop 9 you can't use an iBook. That's why I think they'll do whatever it takes to get a 64 bit processor into the entire lineup. They can cripple the speed, they can crippple the altivec, but they need the 64 bits in there.
  • Reply 107 of 178
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dazabrit

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

Oh, come on! You know the answer. It starts with an H
  • Reply 108 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by synp

There is a reason to think that this time the lag wll be shorter. The G3 and G4 are very similar - they run the same software. Sure, Altivec is nice and speeds things up, but there is no software that can't live without it. My G3 iBook runs everything any other Mac runs.

The G5 is 64-bit. If Apple are planning to support 64-bit applications, they need to get their entire lineup to 64 bits ASAP. They can't have things like Photoshop 8 runs on all Macs, but if you want Photoshop 9 you can't use an iBook. That's why I think they'll do whatever it takes to get a 64 bit processor into the entire lineup. They can cripple the speed, they can crippple the altivec, but they need the 64 bits in there.

64-bit does not equal (why does that symbol not work?) G5 (necessarily)
  • Reply 109 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by synp

there's no way any major company will release 64-bit only software any time in the next few years - that would cut off a huge proportion of computer users. perhaps there'll be software that comes with a 64 bit g5-optimized version, and a normal 32 bit version in the same package.
  • Reply 110 of 178
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drsuse

there's no way any major company will release 64-bit only software any time in the next few years - that would cut off a huge proportion of computer users. perhaps there'll be software that comes with a 64 bit g5-optimized version, and a normal 32 bit version in the same package.

Yeah, and knowing how eccentric Apple owners are I can just imagine the flood of lawsuits against Apple when they do go all 64 bit. You?ll see thread after thread on how it?s unfair that Apple forgot about G3 or G4 owners.
  • Reply 111 of 178
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think they are trying to throw us off by saying that.
  • Reply 112 of 178
    I can think of only one good reason that we aren't going to see a G5 Powerbook anytime soon, but it is a very good reason:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6677040/
  • Reply 113 of 178
    Quote:

read my post above, different people have different needs some people don't need dual monitor support, it's available now but not in the iBooks, nor is firewire 800, a G5 is a pro processor it wont be in the iBooks for ages!

(Edit: video mirroring to dual monitor support - you all knew what I meant though!)

Fast Firewire and dual monitor support are specialty items (if you can really call them that, since even the lowliest PC gets dual monitor, with just about any new graphics card ), but a 64 bit CPU is not. Tiger is going 64 bit (with 32 bit support) and apps will be all the better operating at 64 bit. The G5 is not a "PRO" processor, otherwise it would not be in the iMac, which is the desktop version of the iBook.

The G5 is Apples next CPU. As soon as they have 'em in enough quantity and Apple is 110% sure they will work flawlessy in a notebook enclosure, they will go into everything possible. The CPU is the heart of the machine. What distinguishes the pro line from the consumer line are peripheral features, look, and speed. The iBook has had a G4 for almost a year during the current Pbook G4 lifespan. No "PRO" vs. consumer difference there other than, you guessed it... Peripheral features, look, and speed.

I say it again. The Powerbook G5 should be revealed in January. Later in the year, we should see G5 iMacs. Even later, we should see G5 iBooks. If not late 2004, then early 2006. Apple wants both the Pro and consumer lines to be G5. They can distinguish from there based on peripheral features, looks and speed. The G5 needs to be there for Apples software advancements. End of story. I cannot imagine a G5 iBook selling less than a G4 iBook. Apple is riding on a high right now and they want to keep the momentum. A G5 iBook would show that they are serious. Look for it late 2004 or early 2006.
  • Reply 114 of 178
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Hey guys;

Just because Apple moves all of their system software to 64 bits does not imply that 32 bit software will fail to run. Apple should ultimately be able to have all current 32 bit software running under a 64 bit variant of MacOS/X without any performance penalty. That is what the PPC hardware is designed to do.

Now that doesn't mean that things won't get screwed up a bit software wise. Or that some applications will have specific issues. It just means that 32 bit support under a 64 bit OS should be realtively clean.

In any event I would be rather surprised if Apple ever releases a version of MAC OS/X that is 100% 64 bit. There would be little benefit for many applicaitons and utilities under OS/X.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Yeah, and knowing how eccentric Apple owners are I can just imagine the flood of lawsuits against Apple when they do go all 64 bit. You?ll see thread after thread on how it?s unfair that Apple forgot about G3 or G4 owners.

• Reply 115 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

I can think of only one good reason that we aren't going to see a G5 Powerbook anytime soon, but it is a very good reason:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6677040/

Hey, I have six kids right now. This could be touted as a feature!
  • Reply 116 of 178
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

Hey, I have six kids right now. This could be touted as a feature!

Mmm, yeah I can see the ad now. Buy a PowerBook G5, get one hell of a contraceptive.
  • Reply 117 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

otherwise it would not be in the iMac, which is the desktop version of the iBook.

One thing I will mention, the iMac is a consumer computer, yes the iBook is based around it but the iMac G4 was out in early 2002, the G4 iBook in late 2003 - almost two years later. The PowerBooks have been close to the iBooks for a while now, but that's not a problem, that's not why it wont go in, iBook users want word, excel, not high graphics, they want long battery = G4. PowerBooks users want Power, yes we will see a G5 in an iBook but not soon, the G4 iBook is only a year old.

Btw you must mean 2005, not 4? Also G5 iMac is out (do u mean eMac?) Jobs did say the G5 is the future but I see iBook using a new G4 chip next, you may be right, the iBook getting close to the PowerBook could be a sign of things to come, but it puts people off PowerBooks if the iBook is so close. Although companies such as Dell have very similar line-ups with the same processors for completely extreme pricing, but then different processors for similar prices. I don't know which way Apple wants to go, in some ways it may be good to have a G5 iBook, not for PowerBook sales though.

All I care about is having a fast laptop (2GHz G5 ideally!!!), dual monitor, good GPU, backlit keyboard, thin and good battery oh and an optical drive (DVD-RW dual layer would be a bonus as iLife doesn't support external dual layer drives at the mo)!
  • Reply 118 of 178
    My money says that G5-based powerbooks are on tap for MWSF. I own a 12" pb that I bought immediately following the keynote of their initial announcement in Jan 2003. It's still a great machine and I love it, but...

If you go to the Apple online store today and go through the ordering/configuring process for a 12" powerbook and a 12" iBook, you can get the following results:

12" PowerBook

- 1.33GHz G4

- 80GB drive (max)

- 1.2GB RAM (max; 333MHz)

- NVIDIA GeForce (64MB video RAM)

- with DVI output port

- Airport extremen built-in

- Bluetooth built-in

- Combo drive (you can get a SuperDrive)

- PRICE: $2,499

12" iBook

- 1.2GHz G4

- 80GB drive (max)

- 1.2GB RAM (max; 266MHz)

- ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 (32MB video RAM)

- no DVI output port (only VGA)

- Airport extreme built-in

- Bluetooth ($50 option)

- Combo drive (SuperDrive not available in 12")

- PRICE:$1,700

While some of the PB spect are better (processor & memory speed and graphics), the basic box is the same and I can't see why anyone considering a 12" PowerBook would not be nearly equally satisfied with a 12" iBook.

And while a speed bump would be nice for the 12" PB, I personally think that that won't cut it.

It will have been a full two years since the basic PB as we now know it came to market. It's time for some WOW! factor in the PB sphere once again. The iMac got it this year. The G5 PowerMacs are solid, steady and still relatively new where speed-bumps are what matters.

I just took the 12" as an example and with th exception of the 17", the other 2 PB vs. iB models are just too close. I'm way happy to see where the iBooks have gone as they are emerging as a really solid platform for students and teachers at all levels. But...the PowerBook line needs to make a move and my money says it's to the G5 space.

Just a guess from a happy 12" PB user.
  • Reply 119 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by bobmonsour

While some of the PB spect are better (processor & memory speed and graphics), the basic box is the same and I can't see why anyone considering a 12" PowerBook would not be nearly equally satisfied with a 12" iBook.

I agree they are too close, if i didnt want an external monitor and such a high resolution on my screen the iBook would do it for me too. Let's just wait a month and see!
  • Reply 120 of 178
    Quote:

... if i didnt want an external monitor and such a high resolution on my screen the iBook would do it for me too...

With my 12" PB (pre-DVI), I have a 20" ViewSonic monitor attached to the VGA port (same as on the 12" iBook) and it supports 1600x1200 resolution; that compares pretty well with the Apple 20", with a max resolution of 1680x1050.

Looking forward to what Santa Jobs brings...