No G5 PowerBook?

Comments

• Reply 121 of 178
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    What i find worthless is the 14" ibook. Why have it? It's the same as the 12" since it runs the same EXACT RESOLUTION!! This makes absolutely no sense to me. I did feel like I was going to break the ibook when I was on it. I'd much rathe prefer a powerbook.

I'd also like dual trackpad buttons, but I'm sure i'll never convince anyone else of that . Just annoying having my left hand up on the keyboard to touch cmd.
  • Reply 122 of 178
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

What i find worthless is the 14" ibook. Why have it? It's the same as the 12" since it runs the same EXACT RESOLUTION!! This makes absolutely no sense to me.

It makes sense to people for whom the 12" screen makes everything a little too small and hard to read.

A lot of people like big, easy-to-read screens.
  • Reply 123 of 178
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

I'd also like dual trackpad buttons, but I'm sure i'll never convince anyone else of that . Just annoying having my left hand up on the keyboard to touch cmd.

SideTrack can turn the corners of your trackpad into a Ctrl+click or Cmd+click.

Amazon also has the 8-button Logitech MX 510 Red for $32 + free shipping.

--B
  • Reply 124 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

SideTrack can turn the corners of your trackpad into a Ctrl+click or Cmd+click.

Amazon also has the 8-button Logitech MX 510 Red for $32 + free shipping.

--B

Wow bergz!!! SideTrack is awesome!!!!!!!

And you can't always use a mouse everywhere you go. =)
  • Reply 125 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

It makes sense to people for whom the 12" screen makes everything a little too small and hard to read.

A lot of people like big, easy-to-read screens.

I understand that, but why not add the ability to jump the resolution to at least 1152x870. To me there isn't that big of a difference (size wise) between the icons on a 12 vs a 14.
  • Reply 126 of 178
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Wow bergz!!! SideTrack is awesome!!!!!!!

I know. I read about it on AI first, and had the same reaction as you. Then, when browsing for a replacement for NetMonitor, I came upon MenuMeters, loved it, never realizing it's from the same guy. Raging Menace is just this guy who makes these utilities he'd like to have himself (according to the bio on the Raging Menace site.) I bet he'd love getting bought out by Apple. That would be like the best compliment for a hobbyist.

--B
  • Reply 127 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

I know. I read about it on AI first, and had the same reaction as you. Then, when browsing for a replacement for NetMonitor, I came upon MenuMeters, loved it, never realizing it's from the same guy. Raging Menace is just this guy who makes these utilities he'd like to have himself (according to the bio on the Raging Menace site.) I bet he'd love getting bought out by Apple. That would be like the best compliment for a hobbyist.

--B

Wanted to try MenuMeter but unfortunately it doesn't work with 10.4 Tiger yet. I'm on Tiger 8a323a 24/7 right now so i don't have a choice. It looks really cool though. I can see why it would work great for a powerbook.

I'm selling my Rev B g5 dual 2.0 and going to get a powerbook next rev ASSUMING they are going to be something other than a g4... even though I firmly believe they are going to be. If that's the case I'm going to get a new g5 in June or so.
  • Reply 128 of 178
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

What i find worthless is the 14" ibook. Why have it? It's the same as the 12" since it runs the same EXACT RESOLUTION!! This makes absolutely no sense to me. I did feel like I was going to break the ibook when I was on it. I'd much rathe prefer a powerbook.

Completely agree with both comments, i was advising my sister on a new laptop and as thinking about quark usage and thought maybe a 14" would be better - but the same resolution, that's just stupid! And a two button track-pad definitely, how about a scroll wheel on the side like some sony's as well (neither going to happen - Santa Jobs doesn't like two buttons)!
  • Reply 129 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Completely agree with both comments, i was advising my sister on a new laptop and as thinking about quark usage and thought maybe a 14" would be better - but the same resolution, that's just stupid! And a two button track-pad definitely, how about a scroll wheel on the side like some sony's as well (neither going to happen - Santa Jobs doesn't like two buttons)!

A scroll slider would be cool.

One of the reasons I like the thinkpads is because of the eraser head. They have a middle third button for that control, when you hold it down it turns the eraser head into a scroller... very cool and convenient. I couldn't imagine having a laptop without that.
  • Reply 130 of 178
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I understand that, but why not add the ability to jump the resolution to at least 1152x870. To me there isn't that big of a difference (size wise) between the icons on a 12 vs a 14.

Why is it that some many have trouble with the orignal response. big fat characters on screen are appealing to some. Currently it may not be possible to get good results with the higher resolution screen.

Yeah it will be great when we have a completely resolution independant system. That is not the case at the moment so opting for the chunkyer screen is a real solution for many. I don't believe that Apple is far from offering higher resolution screens in a portable but it must meet consumer demand first.

The other issue is manufacturing and warranty demands. Last I knew those larger pixels are more reliable and easier to manufacture. Frankly I would rather see the need for more pixels in the iBook line solved by an even larger screen with the same size screen elements as now seen on the 14" ibook. That would be real progress.

Dave

Dave
  • Reply 131 of 178
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    FYI, Mac OS X 10.3.7 update has the same kernel extension references that 10.3.6 had. PowerBook updates are awol since they appeared in 10.3.5.
  • Reply 132 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

FYI, Mac OS X 10.3.7 update has the same kernel extension references that 10.3.6 had. PowerBook updates are awol since they appeared in 10.3.5.

I just want to know how do you find the computer numbers?
  • Reply 133 of 178
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    check the very first post of this thread
  • Reply 134 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Yeah, but as I pointed out in another forum if a new xServe is to debut soon, wouldn't you think you'd see RackMac 3,2 in there too? And it's not there. Think Secret has reported that xServe updates are expected any day now. So even though the PowerBook kernel extensions are AWOL, the xServe 3,2 thing should give one hope about PowerBook G5s!
  • Reply 135 of 178
    what's AWOL?
  • Reply 136 of 178
    AWOL = Absent WithOut Leave (military term, usually)

I think people are far too optimistic about a G5 Powerbook in January. While I would jump for joy and order one almost immediately to replace my beloved G4 Powerbook, I do not believe that Apple will have managed to solve the technical problems of such a machine by then. I think we're going to see a G5 Powerbook, but it'll be mid-2005 at the earliest before it's announced. Some of the new IBM processors appear to have the potential to be suitable for such a use, but they're far too new for Apple to even have built prototypes with them yet.
  • Reply 137 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by MattW

AWOL = Absent WithOut Leave (military term, usually)

I think people are far too optimistic about a G5 Powerbook in January. While I would jump for joy and order one almost immediately to replace my beloved G4 Powerbook, I do not believe that Apple will have managed to solve the technical problems of such a machine by then. I think we're going to see a G5 Powerbook, but it'll be mid-2005 at the earliest before it's announced. Some of the new IBM processors appear to have the potential to be suitable for such a use, but they're far too new for Apple to even have built prototypes with them yet.

oh yeah, i knew that I was reading it wrong! I really want a new PowerBook, I'm just hoping it'll be a G5, if it's a big performance boost in Jan i might make it, otherwise I'll be waiting for a G5. I want to start my degree with a decent computer that will last performance wise!
  • Reply 138 of 178
    If anyone cares,

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRisc4pe.kext/Contents/Info.plist on 10.4 Tiger 8a323a contains the exact same info as 10.3.6 and 10.3.7...

<dict>

\t\t<key>PowerMac7,2</key>

\t\t<string>PowerMac7_2_PlatformPlugin</string>

\t\t<key>PowerMac7,3</key>

\t\t<key>PowerMac8,1</key>

\t\t<string>SMU_Neo2_PlatformPlugin</string>

\t\t<key>PowerMac9,1</key>

\t\t<key>RackMac3,1</key>

\t\t<string>RackMac3_1_PlatformPlugin</string>

</dict>

Oh well
  • Reply 139 of 178
    Quote:

If anyone cares,

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRisc4pe.kext/Contents/Info.plist on 10.4 Tiger 8a323a contains the exact same info as 10.3.6 and 10.3.7...

<dict>

\t\t<key>PowerMac7,2</key>

\t\t<key>PowerMac7,3</key>

\t\t<key>PowerMac8,1</key>

\t\t<key>PowerMac9,1</key>

\t\t<key>RackMac3,1</key>

\t\t<string>RackMac3_1_PlatformPlugin</string>

</dict>

Oh well

maybe they'll release a special version of OS X for the PowerBook, like they did for the PowerMac G5. \
  • Reply 140 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

maybe they'll release a special version of OS X for the PowerBook, like they did for the PowerMac G5. \

Doubtful ...