DVDs Not Passing Verification

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've tried burning some backup files to DVD, but after many, many attempts, the disks always fail verification. I've tried burning from the Finder and using Toast 6 with the same result.

What steps should I take to diagnose and repair my DVD drive before I take it in to be looked at by a professional?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    they fail the verification of the disc burning?

if so, do they however mount properly? can your read the data after the failed verification? if the data is correct, ignore the error.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Yes, they fail the verification of the disk burning. How do I test whether the data is readable? There are 4.3GB of files, and it's impractical to open everyone.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I used diff when I had that problem. It took awhile (maybe 30-45 min), but you can do other stuff while it's thinking about it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    What is diff?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    "diff" is a command line utility, that can be run from the terminal. It compares the differences between files. A better (quicker) test would be to use the "md5sum" command in the terminal, and compare the numbers it give for the source and burned files.

I'll have a think about how this should work.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

"diff" is a command line utility, that can be run from the terminal. It compares the differences between files. A better (quicker) test would be to use the "md5sum" command in the terminal, and compare the numbers it give for the source and burned files.

I'll have a think about how this should work.

Yep, that would work too, as long as the command has a recursive option. Good idea.