new iLife at MWSF?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
hi

do you think that a new iLife 05 will be released at MWSF? (my brother wants to buy an iBook and we are wandering if we should wait after MWSF to get some updates APPs)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by mat79

hi

do you think that a new iLife 05 will be released at MWSF? (my brother wants to buy an iBook and we are wandering if we should wait after MWSF to get some updates APPs)

its a good bet there'll be iLife05
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I have to disagree. Although I would want to see a new iLife (with DL burning support etc.), I don't think it's going to happen.

iLife has always followed OS X updates. It's another way for Apple to squeeze a few extra dollars from it's customers. iLife 05 will arrive a month after Tiger.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

I have to disagree. Although I would want to see a new iLife (with DL burning support etc.), I don't think it's going to happen.

iLife has always followed OS X updates. It's another way for Apple to squeeze a few extra dollars from it's customers. iLife 05 will arrive a month after Tiger.

always meaning once of course
  • Reply 4 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    iLife 05 will almost certainly follow Tiger's release, but for good solid technical reasons, paranoid delusions aside.

CoreMedia (Core{Audio, Video, Image}) provides such an amazing leap forward that iLife 05 is more or less assumed to be built on it.

Now, it may be that CoreMedia will initially ship as underlying frameworks for iLife the way parts of it did with Motion, but I suspect that they'll just hold off and release it as 10.4 only.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

iLife 05 will almost certainly follow Tiger's release, but for good solid technical reasons, paranoid delusions aside.

CoreMedia (Core{Audio, Video, Image}) provides such an amazing leap forward that iLife 05 is more or less assumed to be built on it.

Now, it may be that CoreMedia will initially ship as underlying frameworks for iLife the way parts of it did with Motion, but I suspect that they'll just hold off and release it as 10.4 only.

You are completely correct on the technical side. But what I wrote was not a paranoid delusion. Remember when Apple first released iLife? Apple said it themselves that they needed to recover some of the development costs of the iLife apps. (I think Steve Jobs mentioned it at some Expo.)

Marketing will force the iLife to follow OS X releases in order to maximize profit. Just like they have been doing in the past couple of years.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

You are completely correct on the technical side. But what I wrote was not a paranoid delusion. Remember when Apple first released iLife? Apple said it themselves that they needed to recover some of the development costs of the iLife apps. (I think Steve Jobs mentioned it at some Expo.)

Marketing will force the iLife to follow OS X releases in order to maximize profit. Just like they have been doing in the past couple of years.

10.3 doesn't come with garageband or idvd, but it does come with iphoto 4 imovie 4 and itunes 4.7. What's wrong with iLife '05 in Jan, tiger later on (without iLife) and then iLife '06 with tiger support! EVEN more money
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

10.3 doesn't come with garageband or idvd, but it does come with iphoto 4 imovie 4 and itunes 4.7. What's wrong with iLife '05 in Jan, tiger later on (without iLife) and then iLife '06 with tiger support! EVEN more money

Hi,

Unless things are different in the UK Mac OS X 10.3 does not come with iPhoto 4 or iMovie 4. It probably includes version 2 of both of those apps. Once iLife 04 was released they stopped giving it away, you only got it for free if you bought a new Mac. iTunes is the only part of the iLife suite that's still free. As much as I'd love to see an iLife 05 in January, what Kickaha said makes perfect sense. Maybe what they'll do is announce a release date for both Tiger and iLife 05, and maybe bundle them together for a little savings. This is purely a guess on my part, and is not based on anything factual or otherwise.

Cheers,

Marc
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by mslifkin

Hi,

Unless things are different in the UK Mac OS X 10.3 does not come with iPhoto 4 or iMovie 4. It probably includes version 2 of both of those apps. Once iLife 04 was released they stopped giving it away, you only got it for free if you bought a new Mac. iTunes is the only part of the iLife suite that's still free. As much as I'd love to see an iLife 05 in January, what Kickaha said makes perfect sense. Maybe what they'll do is announce a release date for both Tiger and iLife 05, and maybe bundle them together for a little savings. This is purely a guess on my part, and is not based on anything factual or otherwise.

Cheers,

Marc

UK is different:

UK

US

And all the brits complain about the yanks getting special deals!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Well I'll be! I had no idea; thanks for enlightening me.

Regards,

Marc
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by mslifkin

Well I'll be! I had no idea; thanks for enlightening me.

Regards,

Marc

I know I can't understand it myself. It could be an error?! But it did used to say iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I know I can't understand it myself. It could be an error?! But it did used to say iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3

Maybe they wanted to reduce support costs for the really outdated versions of these programs.