MLB Winter Meetings

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hudson to LA?

Pedro to the Mets?

Pavano to the Yankees?

Big Unit stays put?

Wells to the Red Sox?

How has your team faired so far this off season and especially the past week. The Yankees look to be a team this off season making deals in fear and uncertainty.

Jaret Wright has never pitched over 200 innings in a season. Yet, the Yankees throw him 21 million. Pavano is coming off one solid year in a weak NL East, yet the Yankees are throwing 40 million at him. They also look like they could very well sign Milton, Johnson, and/or Beltran relatively soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Pedro to the Mets?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    The Sox are desperate for pitchers for some reason. Why would they want a 42 year old pitcher who should of retired this past season permantly. Also, Clemens might retire.... AGAIN!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I'm extremely happy. Considering how the NL East is such a weak division, and the NL as a whole isn't as offensive-minded as the AL, I think Pedro will be awesome as a Met. It also helps that Shea is such a good pitcher's park and Pedro's numbers there are very good.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Pedro to the Mets?

Gag me.

Figures that Minaya built his reputation as doing lots with little, and now that he's with the Mets it's the same old "how many tens of millions can we throw away on overpriced, over-the-hill veterans?" Been there, done that for the last six years - it doesn't work! Instead, they could have re-signed Leiter for half of what Pedro's asking. WTF?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Well, so far for the Cubs they've resigned Nomar and Walker, which I suppose is a good thing so long as they both can stay healthy. We still need pitching in the bullpen, especially a closer. And Sosa is a liability, but with the recent steroid issues and his lofty contract, I doubt there will be any takers. I still think he can perform, but the rift between him, Dusty and the rest of the clubhouse will have adverse effects.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Gag me.

Figures that Minaya built his reputation as doing lots with little, and now that he's with the Mets it's the same old "how many tens of millions can we throw away on overpriced, over-the-hill veterans?" Been there, done that for the last six years - it doesn't work! Instead, they could have re-signed Leiter for half of what Pedro's asking. WTF?

I love Al Leiter, I really do. He was great during his 7 years in Flushing, but it was time for him to go. He was too close with Fred and Jeff Wilpon for his own good. He's nothing more than a 5/6 inning pitcher who walks too many batters. I wish him the best in Florida, but it was time for him to move on.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Let's recap current news ans stuff.

Pedro goes to Mets(confirmed and complete)

Big Unit goes to Yanks( deal almost sealed)

Vasquez goes to Dodgers( if Big Unit goes to Yanks)

Wells to Sox

Clements to sox

Varitek to Mets is a new rumor. Pedro wants him on the team.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The NL East doesn't seem like such a weak division to me (relative to the Mets) considering Atlanta hasn't lost it since the stone age. And now they have Huddie too.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The NL East doesn't seem like such a weak division to me (relative to the Mets) considering Atlanta hasn't lost it since the stone age. And now they have Huddie too.

Pitching wise it's pretty good with the Mets' rotation, Atlanta's pitching and Florida's pitching, but offensively it's not very good.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Yeah, because Laroche, Andruw Jones, Chipper Jones, Johnny Estrada, etc. they all suck.

And speaking of pitching, The As 2005 season is officially over. What few fans they could drag out to the Coliseum on weekends probably aren't going to be too excited about watching a team with a rotation of Zito, whatshisface, whozzat, whadda, and neverheardofhim.