Babylon 5: The Memory of Shadows

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I've been following the rumors for months now, but it looks like this new production will be a feature film which starts production in April.

Here's the scoop...

Now I don't know how reputable they are and JMS hasn't confirmed the details yet, but he has confirmed the existence of the project. A feature film would be incredible, albeit a bit far fetched. But who knows, maybe this will start a run of movies, except that the odd and even ones will be good.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I'm happy to hear that the description of the movie mentions Galen from the sadly cancelled Crusade series. I'd like to see if the movie wraps up any of the details of what happened with quarantined Earth and the search for a cure for the Shadow-engineered plague.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I'm happy to hear that the description of the movie mentions Galen from the sadly cancelled Crusade series. I'd like to see if the movie wraps up any of the details of what happened with quarantined Earth and the search for a cure for the Shadow-engineered plague.

I agree. I'm very excited that Galen's in it.

When JMS commented on Richard Biggs death, he mentioned that he had to rework portions of the story. The big question is, will other characters be in the film? Londo, G'Kar, Sheriden, Garabaldi anyone? If Ivonova is in it I'd die happy!

I don't know how much you know about the planned Crusade story arc, but I expect that the movie may indeed pursue areas that the show would have covered.

After all, will we ever hear about the Telepath war?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Maybe thee finest science fiction series EVAR...

ANYTHING new would be welcomed.

This maybe goes in Software, maybe not. It won't run on a Mac. That's why I'll post here in Xool's thread. There is a PC-only space sim called "I've Found Her". Available here:

http://ifh.firstones.com/

Maybe there's a way of porting it to the Mac, I don't know. Either way, it is the most beautiful space sim I have ever seen. It's true to the series and incorporates "real" space physics! Which can be annoying if you expect to zoom around like you're in an atmosphere... It's an incredible experience once you get the hang of it.

It was developed by a non-pro collection of B5 lovers. I can't say enough about it. An astounding work of art. Check out the trailer.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I love B5, great series.

"I've found her" looks pretty nuts too. I remember I used to play the Babylon 5 Mod for Escape velocity that was a very good mod, lots of fun.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    B5 was amazing. Better than nearly all SCiFi that has ever made it to the big screen. I would love to see anything they come up with-big or small screen.

While we're on a SciFi topic, I thought the SciFi channel's version of Battlestar Galactica last year was very good and I'm interested to see how the new series works out next year.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I think B5 sucked bigtime. An incredible shallow analogy to the world, where "the humans" represent the US while G'kars race are agressive arabs, and Garabaldi's the selfish and stupid europeans. Boardering on racism. The "humans/the US" have to save these other parodies from themselves...

/rant
  • Reply 7 of 16
  • Reply 8 of 16
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

I think B5 sucked bigtime. An incredible shallow analogy to the world, where "the humans" represent the US while G'kars race are agressive arabs, and Garabaldi's the selfish and stupid europeans. Boardering on racism. The "humans/the US" have to save these other parodies from themselves...

/rant

A flawed metaphor. In B5 the humans were the least advanced and powerful race ( so how does that compare to the U.S.? ). The thing the humans had going for them was the fact they were willing to sponsor a place where all races could meet. B5 was a fine show and you need to rethink your comparisons. Also I think you were talking about Lando not " Garabaldi " as he was also human.

Sheesh!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I agree. I'm very excited that Galen's in it.

When JMS commented on Richard Biggs death, he mentioned that he had to rework portions of the story. The big question is, will other characters be in the film? Londo, G'Kar, Sheriden, Garabaldi anyone? If Ivonova is in it I'd die happy!

I don't know how much you know about the planned Crusade story arc, but I expect that the movie may indeed pursue areas that the show would have covered.

After all, will we ever hear about the Telepath war?

I was hoping the telepath war would be part of some series. I always loved Checkov's (forgot who he played in B5) Psi-Corp character. Evil and evil.

My biggest vote would have to be for Londo. He had great lines and acted them well. "Them? Those are my three wives, famine, pestilence & death"

Classic.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Bester is good stuff.

If we do the Telepath War, Bester is involved for sure. In fact I bet G'Kar is as well. And Leeta of course.

But really, who else of the Interstellar Alliance could not be involved. Sheridan would and with Leeta and Garabaldi's deal, I'd expect he'd be involved too. Sure, these could be side plots, but some of this stuff could actually pay off. The good thing, is I'm pretty sure the actors would love to reprise their roles.

Anyhow, don't want to get myself too worked up. At this point I'm assuming nothing. Hell, perhaps the thing won't make it!

The never-ending agony of a B5 fan.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

A flawed metaphor. In B5 the humans were the least advanced and powerful race ( so how does that compare to the U.S.? ). The thing the humans had going for them was the fact they were willing to sponsor a place where all races could meet. B5 was a fine show and you need to rethink your comparisons. Also I think you were talking about Lando not " Garabaldi " as he was also human.

Sheesh!

yeah, I was thinking about Lando. Stupid Roman empire meets napolen era character.

If the methafor is flawed, don't blame me. It's pretty obvious that B5's races depict different cultures on earth, with a lot of tolkienish dribble mixed in. This is an old Sci-fi trick. You have the japanese elfs, the arabic orcs, the gnomish franch-europeans, and the americans... er, I mean modern humans...
  • Reply 12 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Lando = slick haired friend of Han Solo.

So many things wrong with New's post, I don't even know where to begin. How the hell were the Narn aggressive Arabs? If you recall, the Narn were oppressed by the Centauri. The Centauri don't represent Europe, but just any old failing empire.

It's not a secret that JMS borrows heavily from LotR, but it's not like it's an exact copy. Okay, so the Vorlons, Shadows and other First Ones cross into another world like the Elves go to the Gray Havens...So what. Okay, so the MInbari are very much in tune with spirituality and all things natural, like the elves. But the rest of the B5 races cannot be freely associated with race in Middle-Earth. If anything, the Narn, Centauri and Humans would simply be factions of the same Human race in Middle Earth.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Lando = slick haired friend of Han Solo.

So many things wrong with New's post, I don't even know where to begin. How the hell were the Narn aggressive Arabs? If you recall, the Narn were oppressed by the Centauri. The Centauri don't represent Europe, but just any old failing empire.

And the arabs were under the europeans until well into the 50s...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Bester is good stuff.

If we do the Telepath War, Bester is involved for sure. In fact I bet G'Kar is as well. And Leeta of course.

But really, who else of the Interstellar Alliance could not be involved. Sheridan would and with Leeta and Garabaldi's deal, I'd expect he'd be involved too. Sure, these could be side plots, but some of this stuff could actually pay off. The good thing, is I'm pretty sure the actors would love to reprise their roles.

Anyhow, don't want to get myself too worked up. At this point I'm assuming nothing. Hell, perhaps the thing won't make it!

The never-ending agony of a B5 fan.

Bester! That's the guy!

I had forgotten about the pact made between Garibaldi and Leeta. She'll definitely have to remove the "I Robot" block Bester implanted so Garibaldi can get revenge. I figure that Bester will find some way to escape though.

Man all this talk makes we want to catch B5 from beginning to end again. Of course that would take Sci-Fi replaying it on TV as I don't have the DVDs.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Right on Xool...G'Kar (Andreas Katsulas) absolutely ROCKED! He stole every scene he was in...

Alfred Bester was a big influence on J. Michael Straczynski.

I highly recomend Tiger, Tiger AKA The Stars My Destination (1956) or The Demolished Man (1951).

Along with Phillip K. Dick and Rod Serling, Bester's intense phycho-dramas dressed as fantasy/science fiction are unmatched.