Apple Store-What desktop program do they use?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Anyone that has been to an Apple Store has surely seen the desktop weblinks that they have on theire computers there. What I'd like to know is what program are they using to do that?

Thanks-

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gigawire

Anyone that has been to an Apple Store has surely seen the desktop weblinks that they have on theire computers there. What I'd like to know is what program are they using to do that?

Thanks-

It is probably made by Apple specially. Don;t you think? Have you tried asking them at the Apple store.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Not sure what you mean. Are these icons that go to certain web sites when double clicked? I'll look for them next time. Are they on all the machines or just the cash registers?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

Not sure what you mean. Are these icons that go to certain web sites when double clicked? I'll look for them next time. Are they on all the machines or just the cash registers?

Ya, they're on all the demo machines. There are, I think, 4 icons. One leads to the online version of that Apple Store, one opens iCal and displays the calendar for that Apple Store, and i don't remember what the other 2 icons do, but it is similar to that. I have a friend at the Apple Store, and neither he, nor anyone else there, knows what program it is since the computers are managed from Corporate. I was hoping maybe someone in this forum would perhaps not know the exact answer, but offer something comparable, as I think it is a great tool for those just getting started, without completely stripping the experience down to a handful of dock icons, or a simple finder. Also, you can not move or adjust the capsule within which these 4 icons reside, but expose will clear them off the desktop or shuffle the capsule around as it would a normal app. I'll try to get up to the Apple Store soon and get a screen grab of it.

cheers-
  • Reply 4 of 16
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I would bet they're simple widgets Apple made specifically for their own use that act as little programs when placed on the desktop (or dock.)
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Yup, its internal Apple code. I asked a tech about it. Its kinda cool. "Active Desktop" LOL
  • Reply 6 of 16
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    How is this different than just dragging a URL to the desktop?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    It's called DesktopButtons and was written internally at Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Curious myself I performed a Google search which led me to a .mac public folder containing a "DesktopButtons.pkg" file. Problem is, I can't check it out since I'm traveling with my work PC only. It does, however, contain a readme file which makes it seem like the real thing:

Apple Store Desktop Buttons Installer

You will need to know your 3-digit store number to perform this installation.

To remove the Desktop Buttons application from a computer:

run the installer again

when prompted for the store number, press the Uninstall button instead.

The Desktop Buttons application puts a group of four buttons on the computer's desktop. These allow the customer to:

make a reservation for the Genius Bar

open iCal to view a calendar of store events

view the Apple Web Site for more information

sign up for a mailing list or reserve a product which is currently out of stock

If you need to quit the Desktop Buttons application temporarily, you can run the Quit_DesktopButtons AppleScript in the "/Library/DesktopButtons" folder.

To run the DesktopButtons application again, launch it from the

"/Library/DesktopButtons" folder or restart your computer.

Now, it can't be that difficult to guess a valid 3-digit store number, can it?

Someone try it out and let us know if it works:

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...cty=US&lang=en
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Not happening here:

I downloaded the package but it gives me the error:

Code:

The Installer Package "Desktop Buttons" cannot be opened.

The archive for this package was not found.

So I can't get past that to even try to install it. Anyone else??

rberry88
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by rberry88

Not happening here:

I downloaded the package but it gives me the error:

Code:

The Installer Package "Desktop Buttons" cannot be opened.

The archive for this package was not found.

So I can't get past that to even try to install it. Anyone else??

rberry88

It looks like it's just the package receipt, not the actual full installer package itself.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Torrent for Desktop Buttons (works, I tried it)

Some I guess are having trouble with it...it's not really any use though, you can't add or subtract things.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    Breakthrough!

I got past and now it asks for a 3-digit store number, but it quits if you try a wrong number...

1 number down...999 to go (?)...
  • Reply 13 of 16
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trtam

Breakthrough!

I got past and now it asks for a 3-digit store number, but it quits if you try a wrong number...

1 number down...999 to go (?)...

Is is 002? Like if you open the package and the read the StoreCode text file?

Oh, and it also seems to go to a webpage. Don't know why but it may have something to do with the code.

BTW, It doesn't do anything for me, I'm just reading it with Hexedit.

Edit: Just checked the site and it is not accessible for me. Might be some kind of verification.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Is is 002? Like if you open the package and the read the StoreCode text file?

Oh, and it also seems to go to a webpage. Don't know why but it may have something to do with the code.

BTW, It doesn't do anything for me, I'm just reading it with Hexedit.

Edit: Just checked the site and it is not accessible for me. Might be some kind of verification.

when i click the link it just goes to a website - what do you do with the code.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The link is a Bittorrent link. You need to download Bittorrent and use that to download the file.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gigawire

Thanks-

Gigawire,

I was able to get a copy of the application from my local store and it still functions normally . However, it is completely useless as it can't be modified.

The good news is that there is a shareware application that does the same thing called DockTop.

http://homepage.mac.com/jonn8/docktop/

mattybinks