Briefly: iBook repair upgrades, Tiger, iTunes, iCal

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Offers Free Super-Sizing of iBook Repairs

In an article published last month, AppleInsider reported that some iBook owners participating in iBook repair program may receive surprise processor upgrades as part of their repair. The reported stated Apple may decide to substitute 700MHz logic boards for some 600MHz iBook models that are in need of repair, due to "unforeseen inventory constraints" of the 600MHz iBook logic board and G3 processor. But according to one reader, the surprise processor upgrades may extend beyond 700MHz.

"I recently sent my 700MHz iBook in to have the logic board replaced after experiencing horrible display problems. I am thoroughly impressed with AppleÂ?s service, they paid for shipping both ways, and the turnaround time was excellent. Â*I sent the iBook in on Friday and it arrived at my house via DHL Monday afternoon," the reader said. "It gets better, my processor is now 900MHz, a free 30% increase!"

The substitutions are likely a result of Apple's Expanded iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program, which covers repair or replacement of logic boards in iBook models manufactured between May 2001 and October 2003 that are experiencing video-centric component failures. If you own an iBook that is covered by this program, but has yet to be repaired, you should be aware that (for most customers) the program expires in five days.

Testing Tiger

According to various web reports, Apple this weekend performed a Software Update test through a recent pre-release version of its upcoming "Tiger" operating system. The test, which reportedly updated Tiger build 8A323 to build 8A323A, consisted of a small bug fix patch that was distributed over Tiger's update Software Update mechanism.

Apple Releases iCal 1.5.5 Update

Apple today released iCal 1.5.5, an update to its bundled calendaring software. It includes improvements in iSync synchronization on computers running Mac OS X version 10.2. The free update is available via the Mac OS X Software Update Preference Pane and is 7.0MB.

Web Addresses Delaying Two New iTunes Stores?

According to New Zealand's Stuff, the long-awaited expansion of Apple's iTunes online music store into New Zealand and Australia appears to have hit a snag with Web addresses itunes.co.nz and itunes.com.au now registered by third parties.

"The website itunes.co.nz was registered in October to Dunedin firm Dave Gee Online. Dave Goosselink, sole owner and operator of the firm, says the site was originally intended to be an affiliate of other online vendors for iPods. Since he couldn't interest any of the New Zealand online vendors, his site currently links to an iPod page on Amazon.com[...]The site itunes.com.au is owned by Capitol Bar and Lounge on the Gold Coast. Spokesman Cameron McCrae says the company registered the site two years ago and plans to use it to host an Internet radio site."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Quote:

According to New Zealand's Stuff, the long-awaited expansion of Apple's iTunes online music store into New Zealand and Australia appears to have hit a snag with Web addresses itunes.co.nz and itunes.com.au now registered by third parties.

i doubt that registering the itunes domains has anything (directly) to do with the launch of the itunes music store.

itunes.co.uk and itunes.ca aren't currently owned by apple and the uk and canada have the iTMS.

its not like it matters anyway - if u want to download itunes the program u go to the apple site, or for the store u use itunes - having itunes.com.au will likely only confuse people as to where to buy from!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I agree, I can't see how these domains are holding up the iTunes Music Store for those countries. When Apple is able to open those stores, just direct everyone to iTunes.com, download the software and pick the store you want.

Even though countries have their own co.?? domains, .com still rules across the globe.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    It's good to hear that Apple is taking care of those who had the misfortune of not realizing that Apple "consumer" portables SUCK!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Bah, the consumer portables are Apple's best deal in computing. The upgrade from 600MHz to 900MHz is good because IIRC, the 700MHz-900MHz processor is the newer version (Safari) which has some additional improvements.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Bah, the consumer portables are Apple's best deal in computing. The upgrade from 600MHz to 900MHz is good because IIRC, the 700MHz-900MHz processor is the newer version (Safari) which has some additional improvements.

Glad you like them, but after 5 out of 7 bad iBooks I will never purchase another one, EVER. It?s not just me either; there?s a guy sitting next me now who is in the process of getting his 1ghz iBook fixed for the 3rd time this year. It?s not only the cheap materials that kill it but the fact the machine looks like shitt after a couple of weeks. Thing scratches if you breathe on it.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Relic

Try an inexpensive Dull notebook for a while - I'm sure you'll really be happy with the quality it provides, as well as the standards of customer & tech support. My original 667 PB has been replaced with a 1.5, my wife now has an iBook and there is also a new G5 20" iMac. The last PC - a Dull - is sitting in the office gathering dust until it is sold.

The only time I had a problem with a PB (after 200,000 miles on business trips) I found that the service was outstanding. If you get a new tech in the repair facilities you might have to have it repaired again, but your 5 out of 7 sounds a bit queer.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Glad you like them, but after 5 out of 7 bad iBooks I will never purchase another one, EVER. It?s not just me either; there?s a guy sitting next me now who is in the process of getting his 1ghz iBook fixed for the 3rd time this year. It?s not only the cheap materials that kill it but the fact the machine looks like shitt after a couple of weeks. Thing scratches if you breathe on it.

Aren't you the same guy that claimed he destroyed 3 PowerBooks in one year?

Jesus, what do you people *DO* to your laptops in Switzerland, go tobogganing on them?!?

The more I hear about your experiences, the more I'm thinking it's user error/abuse.

Had this PB for just over a year, never sent in for repair, one scratch. My wife's iBook? Sent it in for the logic board replacement, that's it, it looks like new. We don't exactly baby them, either.

Try not beating the crap out of your equipment.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Don't know what he keeps doing to his laptop, but my 1.5 yr old G3 laptop still looks good as new. I just had the motherboard fixed for a video problem (which I'm assuming was part of the whole repair program), sent it out Wednesday, got it back Friday. It was the first problem I've had with the machine since I got it (well, I lost one of the feet on the thing, but it never wobbled when I used it - go figure - and they replaced that too when I sent it in).

You all do realize these things are computers, and not just walkman's that you can just throw around, right?

The only thing that pisses me off is I sent them a 900MHz G3, and they sent me back a 900MHz G3. What? No free upgrade?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Aren't you the same guy that claimed he destroyed 3 PowerBooks in one year?

Jesus, what do you people *DO* to your laptops in Switzerland, go tobogganing on them?!?

The more I hear about your experiences, the more I'm thinking it's user error/abuse.

Had this PB for just over a year, never sent in for repair, one scratch. My wife's iBook? Sent it in for the logic board replacement, that's it, it looks like new. We don't exactly baby them, either.

Try not beating the crap out of your equipment.

We use are or iBooks as snow shoes during the winter.

The Powerbook are good never said otherwise, I haven't had many problems with them. I went through two not three Powerbooks because I buy one every 6 months regardless of state.

The iBooks, well........ they SUCK!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TheFly

I agree, I can't see how these domains are holding up the iTunes Music Store for those countries. When Apple is able to open those stores, just direct everyone to iTunes.com, download the software and pick the store you want.

Even though countries have their own co.?? domains, .com still rules across the globe.

For Apple UK, you have to go to http://www.apple.com/uk/.

That's teh address they direct you to on all the adverts. They could do something like that...

Amorya
  • Reply 11 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

The Powerbook are good never said otherwise, I haven't had many problems with them. I went through two not three Powerbooks because I buy one every 6 months regardless of state.

Well, that confirms some suspicions.

Quote:

The iBooks, well........ they SUCK!

Again, going to have to point to user error on this one. Your reported experiences are so far afield of other users I know, it isn't funny. Not saying they didn't happen, just that perhaps the cause is not what you believe it to be.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Just wondering what have been peoples experiences with the iBook replacement policy? I'm think about calling to get mine replaced before the free replacement runs out. I actually had my screen go all lines once so I called about getting my board replaced but they said it needed to happen more frequently. I'm afraid that now it will fail after the replacement period is up.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Not saying they didn't happen, just that perhaps the cause is not what you believe it to be.

I see. well maybe you should get out of this board for a while. Go surf the iBook forums over at Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ringo20000

Just wondering what have been peoples experiences with the iBook replacement policy? I'm think about calling to get mine replaced before the free replacement runs out. I actually had my screen go all lines once so I called about getting my board replaced but they said it needed to happen more frequently. I'm afraid that now it will fail after the replacement period is up.

Well, I don't think they replace the powerbook, just the mobo. I just had mine done (although it probably 'helped' that I ended up losing the display completely, after being intermittent for the few days before I called), and I got it back in two days (out wed. AM, back fri. AM). Truth is, though, that I don't know if its really fixed or just going to have the same problem another 1.5 years from now.

My biggest irritation was that my backup firewire disk, when hooked up to my desktop Mac, just disappeared from the desktop, and the directory went bad on it. I fixed the disk, but I couldn't boot from it on my iBook when I got it back, so I had to reinstall the OS from scratch. Waste o' time.