will Quicktime NG be G5 only?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
still sitting in front of my goo' ol' Cube, waiting nights&days for finishing DVDs, looking jealous to iLife 04?

What do you think? Will the rumored QTNG being G5 only?

All the nice features of Tiger need some "basics" in the system?

btw: ? nice naming ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I think a more realistic question is will it be Mac-only.

I personally can't quite wrap my head around how it can take such extreme advantage of Mac hardware and also run on Windows as well as phones, cameras etc.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    what is quicktime NG?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

what is quicktime NG?

Quicktime NG (next-gen)

First major change in the .mov format since QT 3. Integrated H.264, MP4, and Wavelet technology.

Support for .ogg, heAAC, and FLAC audio. (these will also be available for playback in new iTunes)

Apple is currently negotiating to get the full trailer for Episode III and the full trailer for Batman Begins to be released on keynote day -- to view would require download of NG.

New Pro key needed. Lower Price $19

?_some rumours say
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

I think a more realistic question is will it be Mac-only.

I personally can't quite wrap my head around how it can take such extreme advantage of Mac hardware and also run on Windows as well as phones, cameras etc.

well Apple made some affords to integrate 3gg (<<correct?) into QT, we remember the demo with Phil Schller's mobile etc.

maybe this is the "NG" thing: different tools, all named QT, on a Mac with the most features, of course ?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Bingo.

My guess: QuickTime will be an umbrella of technologies, including widely-ported playback tools on many platforms (doesn't take a whole lot to do), but for content *CREATION*, the Mac will be *the* platform. That's where CoreMedia comes into play as the infrastructure. Use CoreMedia to make the media files, distribute as QT MP4, play anywhere.

This will be the split of QT Creation and QT Playback on different platforms, and it will be a good one.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Actually, I think ports to Windows will be easier, because all the cool platform-specific optimizations have been completely decoupled from QuickTime itself.

I recently ran the update function in QuickTime on my XP box at work. One of the components that it determined needed an update: "Core Foundation."

• Reply 7 of 17
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    iTunes for Windows isn't going away anytime soon.

Ergo, neither is Quicktime for Windows.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yo, integrating standards like heAAC, FLAC, and OGG is nothing but good. iTunes 5 will kick some SERIOUS ass. I mean they finally added the Duplicate song catcher thing. That made me a happy camper. heAAC will also make me a happy camper. Wavelet and H264 will freakin rock WMP. This decoupling of playback vs. creation is also smart business sense. Excellent. I'm so ready for iTunes 5 and QT 7! Just a few more months!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    There is no QuickTime NG. The one who sent in the rumor later posted fake shots of the app in action.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sopphode

There is no QuickTime NG. The one who sent in the rumor later posted fake shots of the app in action.

Umm, there will definitely be a QT7. I highly doubt it will debut at MWSF, rather at WWDC 05 or special event, but not this soon, me thinks.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Umm, there will definitely be a QT7. I highly doubt it will debut at MWSF, rather at WWDC 05 or special event, but not this soon, me thinks.

Yeah, the next major QT will be included with Tiger.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Maybe not. It depends on how fast they can revamp 12 years of legacy code that is still based on an OS model that they have officially killed.

CoreMedia is the, er, core, but they still have to produce a high level API that can provide the wide utility QT does now. Possible? Yes, absolutely. They may want to wait until CoreMedia has a bit more use/maturity before putting what is perhaps their biggest crown jewel on it.

QT7 will be a make or break situation for Apple's future media prospects.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Didn't Apple show off QTkit at WWDC? Isn't it shown in that Graphics State of the Union presentation that's online?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quicktime's a strange beast, especially to someone like me who doesn't understand the implementation side of things.

As I understand it, Quicktime actually contains a basic set of the Mac OS structure within it. Thus, if Apple ever decided to do a MacOS on Intel, Quicktime would be the key to a cross-platform implementation of the MacOS.

As time has marched on, the MacOS is now based on Unix technology, and any cross-platform hopes lie with Darwin.

Thus, Quicktime is now free to just be a purely media-focused app.

Which is a good thing. Am I right Kickaha?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Close. QT contains much of the memory model of MacOS *9*, simply because it was required to get it working on Windows. (This is why the download for QT/Windows was so much larger than QT/Mac - they had to provide rather large chunks of the inner workings of the OS to run it.)

Ironically, it still has that code, just so it can run on OS X... in a way, QT/Win paved the way for QT/X.

There has been an NSMovie hook to QT playback in Cocoa for a couple of years now - it's just extremely limited. QTKit has been announced to devs, but it's not a full QuickTime API, just better than NSMovie. I don't consider it QT7 in any way shape or form. I see it as a stopgap until the new API comes down the pipe in QT7.

One last thing... QuickTime isn't an app - it's a huge framework of libraries that provide functionality for working with time-coded media of any sort. (Pet peeve - I hate it when people confuse QuickTime Player with QuickTime the technology.)
  • Reply 16 of 17
    My bad. If we had a punishment forum on this board, I could be required to post "Quicktime's not an app" 500 times.

Thanks for the clarification. Reading your post, it struck me that Quicktime is the glue holding together a lot of Apple recent apps.

It must be an incredible task to get new frameworks up and running while ensuring that the Production Suite, the Audio apps and all the iApps don't get too broken in the process.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I thought H.254 is one of tiger's "hundred something" feature.