iPod micro questions...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just a few thoughts. It appears to be a reasonable assumption that Apple will update the iPod mini to 5gb, and hopefully bring out an iPod micro for students like myself.

Assuming the iPod micro is a reality, will the battery life be any better? I assume that flash memory takes far less power than a hard disk, as in my opinion, the mini battery life sucks.

Secondly, has anyone any idea as to what the battery type of the micro is likely to be? A AAA battery does not seem to bo classy enough for Apple, so I'm assuming internal, charged over USB/FireWire?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Flash does use less battery power as does any device without a display. But there's also the fact that a smaller player has a smaller battery. Do you plan on listening to your iPod (whatever type) for over 8 hours continuosly? Just asking.

When Apple releases the rumored flash pod then you'll have all the answers. Until then, "they don't discuss future products" as you probably know.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Flash does use less battery power as does any device without a display. But there's also the fact that a smaller player has a smaller battery. Do you plan on listening to your iPod (whatever type) for over 8 hours continuosly? Just asking.

It can be useful not to have to charge it every night. For example. if I'm going to stay with my parents for a few days, it would be nice to take some music on the train there and back, and not have to worry about charging it when there. My Mum's old iMac doesn't have Firewire, so I'd be forced to take a mains charger or my iBook just to charge it. Something closer to 20 hours would be far better - my old Sony MiniDisc would last days of normal usage between charges.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

When Apple releases the rumored flash pod then you'll have all the answers. Until then, "they don't discuss future products" as you probably know.

i think iPod micro will have a screen. Jobs was very negative about the flash based MP3s last year at MWSF, he didn't like their usability. I think we have to see a screen.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

i think iPod micro will have a screen. Jobs was very negative about the flash based MP3s last year at MWSF, he didn't like their usability. I think we have to see a screen.

I'm not sure I agree. First dropping the screen is a great way to drop both cost and power consumption. The capacity could be small enough that it is billed as just a "Load. Play. Go." kind of thing. Minor controls for skip forward/back/pause/shuffle on/of...and you're set.