Movie pod ?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Movie producers seem less hysterical than the RIAA suits but the fileshareing clock is ticking for these guys and it seems that ''legal'' downloading of movies is coming sooner than later because of

this

Apple would seem the most likely candidate to pioneer this move because

Hollywood respects and trusts SJ and Apple

iPod and iTunes execution was almost flawless

More money for studios that hold rights to older films

Photo iPod is selling surprisingly well and it would seem

a short hardware jump to ''movie iPod'' especially with

the ability to watch films from pod to TV.

Unlimited iMovie store for hard to get films

Bandwidth is of course a problem but that is changing

Is this discussed in Cupertino? Is it a big gamble for Apple?

Will Sony (who own a big movie studio) do it first, if at all?

What is the downside?

It is coming but in what form?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Movies will be really tough since the major studios are afraid of downloads and file sizes would be huge. TV shows should be relatively easy, affordable and have reasonable file sizes. Look to Best Buy and Circuit City and the DVD market for TV shows seems to be exploding. Sports events are already downloaded to some degree and it's easy to imagine all the major sports going that route. Hopefully they will edit out most of the wasted time so games would be much shorter and thus have reasonable file sizes.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    The thing that makes all this totally unreliable is that they will soon be streaming movies to theaters via restricted satellite digital download, and it's possible that the satellite streaming will be coming in over cable systems soon as well, but it will be more like PPV.

Until it's decided what is happening in the very near future in regards to the way movies are delivered to the public it is highly irresponsible to make a new product that could be totally useless within 2 years when it takes products about 2 to 3 years for the public to build up a comfortability with them.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    snipe--how could you be a member here at AI since 2001 and not notice the other million threads that have been started about video ipods and a video dowload store? oh i see, you're in future hardware, not the digital hub.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

snipe--how could you be a member here at AI since 2001 and not notice the other million threads that have been started about video ipods and a video dowload store? oh i see, you're in future hardware, not the digital hub.

maybe I am missing something. Of course ipodandimac I have followed the threads regarding video iPods and agree with most who feel that watching video of any kind on a small screen would have little appeal. I am looking for a small portable device to carry downloaded movies to a large screen in my den, bedroom or living room. I love my iPod but I really like it plugged into

my stereo system. Handier for me than airtunes. Download the film or whatever and watch on TV.

My point is with 60 gb and today's announcement of 80 gb how much more would Apple have to go to make a ''Pod" that takes video, add remote features and use the screen to select what movie, special features, outtakes and all the things a dvd offers. NO MIDDLEMEN. Producer to consumer. Cuts costs, adds profits. So the arguement I would like to hear is Apple cannot do this or would not do this because it has no appeal ( which may be the case)

So on one small iPod you have your music, movies, pictures (and you don't have to Put MS media centre in your living room.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I thought I totally answered that question in my post.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

The thing that makes all this totally unreliable is that they will soon be streaming movies to theaters via restricted satellite digital download, and it's possible that the satellite streaming will be coming in over cable systems soon as well, but it will be more like PPV

From a straight business point of view Theatres, satellite services, cable etc

are all middlemen between product and consumer thus raising prices or lowering profits. As far as being irresponsible in releasing a product that

could be dead in 2 years then you could say Apple has been guilty of this several times. Innovation implies risk
  • Reply 7 of 10
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Earphones have pretty good sound quality. Not as good as a good speaker system, but well beyond acceptable. Listening to music with earphones is cool.

A 2" or 4" LCD screen is far inferior to a bargain-basement 19" TV or a 12" iBook screen. Watching a movie or a TV program on the former is an eye-straining, fun-free experience. Watching a movie on the latter is OK.

I like watching television, but I wouldn't want to watch it on something so small it would fit in the palm of my hand. To avoid eye-strain you need to have the image as far as you can reach. Try doing this with an iPod and its screen looks very small indeed.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by snipe

As far as being irresponsible in releasing a product that

could be dead in 2 years then you could say Apple has been guilty of this several times. Innovation implies risk

Apple has learned a lot from past mistakes, and they never make leaps into such ares that not blind to them. The stage has been set for the delivery system to change, and they will doubtfully go ahead on something without knowing what the exact changes are going to be. No one is that stupid.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Digital Hub...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

Moving to Digital Hub...

thank you