iPod mini, finders keepers...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    segivius and mslifkin, my third post in this thread applies to you two also.

Have a great day, Randy
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Good job MagicFingers for picking up a cheap iPod. Personally I think it is a great lesson for the person that lost it. I once left a Walkman at the park (hey it was the 80's I was 11, I saved for months to buy it) and looking back that was one of the best things that happened to me because now I take care of AND keep track of my stuff. Yea it sucked but it taught me a lesson that if I want to keep something I have to be responsible for keeping track of it. Now I would just make sure that your kids keep track of their stuff so that the same thing doesn't happen.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeff79m

Good job MagicFingers for picking up a cheap iPod. Personally I think it is a great lesson for the person that lost it. I once left a Walkman at the park (hey it was the 80's I was 11, I saved for months to buy it) and looking back that was one of the best things that happened to me because now I take care of AND keep track of my stuff. Yea it sucked but it taught me a lesson that if I want to keep something I have to be responsible for keeping track of it. Now I would just make sure that your kids keep track of their stuff so that the same thing doesn't happen.

The thing is, you could have learned two valuable lessons, had the person returned your walkman to you. (There is no analogous method of finding the owner of a tape Walkman, but let's pretend you had a tape with your info written on it).

Lesson 1: Keep track of your stuff.

Lesson 2. Return things to their rightful owners if at all possible.

You'd have learned lesson one up until the person gave it back to you. Then you'd have learned how nice it can be to return a missing item to someone.

Instead you learned that people suck when they don't return things. Again, I realize that doesn't apply to your situation since it was impossible to determine the owner of the tape Walkman - unlike the iPod example in which it's highly likely the info is embedded in the song files or it's registered.

Why learn half of the Golden Rule?

It isn't like MagicFingers seems to think it is: "Do unto others...then split!"

You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

- Judaism and Christianity. Bible, Leviticus 19.18

Whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them.

- Christianity. Bible, Matthew 7.12

Not one of you is a believer until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.

- Islam. Forty Hadith of an-Nawawi 13

A man should wander about treating all creatures as he himself would be treated.

- Jainism. Sutrakritanga 1.11.33

Try your best to treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself, and you will find that this is the shortest way to benevolence.

- Confucianism. Mencius VII.A.4

One should not behave towards others in a way which is disagreeable to oneself. This is the essence of morality. All other activities are due to selfish desire.

- Hinduism. Mahabharata, Anusasana Parva 113.8

Tsekung asked, "Is there one word that can serve as a principle of conduct for life?" Confucius replied, "It is the word shu--reciprocity: Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you."

- Confucianism. Analects 15.23
  • Reply 24 of 43
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Now I would just make sure that your kids keep track of their stuff so that the same thing doesn't happen.

Hey, maybe he could steal the iPod from his kid soon after giving it to him. Then get his friends to teach the same lessons with this life-lesson iPod. Kind of a Pay-It-Forward type deal!

A stolen iPod: $50

A Life Lesson your child will never forget: Priceless.

--B
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I'm very glad that some people still have integrity.

I think that MagicFingers is this guys evil opposite twin.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Ok with my Walkman it did not have my name on it there was no way for anyone to return it to me. Also did I not read that MagicFingers looked to see if there was contact info on the iPod to return it to the owner and there wasn't? So what is magic fingers supposed to do stand in front of his friends house and ask every person that walks buy if they lost something of value. And depending on where his friend lives this could not yeild any result.

This brings up another question. Since value of an item is defined by the owner of the item. How do you detemine if you should hunt down the owner till the day you die or say cool I got this new nifty thing?

Also would Jesus pick up a dollar and then attempt to find its rightful owner?

And would this change if he found $100.00 or $1000.00?
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:

Ok with my Walkman it did not have my name on it there was no way for anyone to return it to me. Also did I not read that MagicFingers looked to see if there was contact info on the iPod to return it to the owner and there wasn't? So what is magic fingers supposed to do stand in front of his friends house and ask every person that walks buy if they lost something of value. And depending on where his friend lives this could not yeild any result.

This brings up another question. Since value of an item is defined by the owner of the item. How do you detemine if you should hunt down the owner till the day you die or say cool I got this new nifty thing?

Also would Jesus pick up a dollar and then attempt to find its rightful owner?

And would this change if he found $100.00 or $1000.00?

There is a serial number on the iPod. If the original owner registered their iPod with Apple it would be relatively easy for Randy to determine who the original owner is. Even if Apple refused to give Randy the owner's contact information (for the sake of privacy) I'm sure that Apple could inform the owner that their iPod had turned up. But since (according to Randy) "...it was a windows format so I felt no compassion for the guy". Yeah, like it really would have mattered if the former owner had used a Mac. Class act. Now I know that good ole Randy (self proclaimed "bad ass mofo" as described in his profile) will probably tell me (again) to go procreate with myself, but hey, such is life.

And as for what Jesus would do if he found a dollar, or $100, or $1000, or $10 million, I believe he would return it (not only attempt to, but successfully return it) to its rightful owner.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    I guess I really should read every post before I shoot my mouth off. I had not realized that MagicFinger had told you that and I defiantly do not agree with that. That is really cool if Apple would do that, though I do not know that they would. My main point was that sometimes you lose things and it sucks and you learn not to let it happen again. I believe that if you find something of value you should attempt to determine the original owner but if you are not able to determine this then I think yes finders keepers. When I pick money up off the ground and I do not see anyone that it might belong to I keep it (the most I have ever found is $5.00). I have watched money fall out of peoples pockets before and no I do not wait for them to leave and then take there money. I pick it up and give it to them. Out of all this I think what Apple should do is set up a lost and found webiste that lets you enter the serial number and then emails the owner so they can be reunited. Then Apple could even promote it as a sudo insurance plan.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Hey, maybe he could steal the iPod from his kid soon after giving it to him. Then get his friends to teach the same lessons with this life-lesson iPod. Kind of a Pay-It-Forward type deal!

A stolen iPod: $50

A Life Lesson your child will never forget: Priceless.

--B

where might people be buying iPods that only cost 50 bucks?
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

Ok with my Walkman it did not have my name on it there was no way for anyone to return it to me.

I already indicated that the situation was different for you. Read carefully.

Quote:

Also did I not read that MagicFingers looked to see if there was contact info on the iPod to return it to the owner and there wasn't?

He looked for Contact Info and that's it. (To his credit, at that point, as far as he knew, he had made the effort). But then we informed him that the M4P files (if present - not guaranteed) might contain the rightful owner's email and also that Apple keeps track of the serial number if the person registered. It is apparent that now that he has 2 likely methods of finding the owner, that he never really cared anyway, judging by his reactions.

Quote:

So what is magic fingers supposed to do stand in front of his friends house and ask every person that walks buy if they lost something of value. And depending on where his friend lives this could not yeild any result.

That is all moot, since you apparently didn't follow the thread closely enough. (I mean that seriously, not bitchingly). We're saying if he were truly interested in returning it, it could be done easily - not as you have described.

Quote:

This brings up another question. Since value of an item is defined by the owner of the item. How do you determine if you should hunt down the owner till the day you die or say cool I got this new nifty thing?

Hey, make up your morals/ethics to fit your whims and be happy. But don't expect a thread full of agreeable responses.

Quote:

Also would Jesus pick up a dollar and then attempt to find its rightful owner? And would this change if he found $100.00 or $1000.00?

Moot games. We're talking about an iPod mini which could potentially be returned with 5-minutes worth of effort.

But he doesn't want to, and that's fine. But the feigning interest in returning it was obviously just blurted out so as to sound "ethical" just before claiming ownership and bragging.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

where might people be buying iPods that only cost 50 bucks?

Read the original post:

Quote:

my friend found an ipod mini in his yard this morning, called me up (knowing I'm an apple freak) to inquire about it. I fiiled him in on the mini and then 30 minutes later it is mine for $50.

--B
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Read the original post:

--B

duh... my bad.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    randy,

i'm not piling on you. we have all done things etc...

it's one thing to do something that might be unethical depending on the perspective but it's another thing to brag about it.

why don't you just delete this thread?

or,

if you find the rightful owner and return the ipod, i will paypal you $25 towards a new one for you son.

i'm not judging you or anything of that sort because i have done things and do things i regret. for whatever reason your story just stuck with me.

as always,

chung lee
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by chunglee

if you find the rightful owner and return the ipod, i will paypal you $25 towards a new one for you son.

so you're going to pay him to do the right thing? what he should have done in the first place. that's like if i rob a store, and someone says, "if you return the money, i'll give you a reward"

sorry, just my 2¢
  • Reply 35 of 43
    WWJD? Nah....WDJD. What Did Jeff Do?
  • Reply 36 of 43
    only for selfish reasons. this isn't a reward to randy, all my sympathies go to the original owner. i just want them to get it back.

i know what it's like to lose an ipod.

chung lee
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by chunglee

only for selfish reasons. this isn't a reward to randy, all my sympathies go to the original owner. i just want them to get it back.

i know what it's like to lose an ipod.

chung lee

Chung,

A noble gesture indeed. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to do any good. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see that happening.

Regards,

Marc
  • Reply 38 of 43
    rara Posts: 623member
    Wow. Just imagine how great your son is going to feel on Christmas morning! That's awesome.

Now imagine how great he'd feel if he lost it coming home from school one day.

That's how some kid is probably feeling right now.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

WWJD? Nah....WDJD. What Did Jeff Do?

what a nice kid
  • Reply 40 of 43
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Write

Buy your friend selling it to you, he is legally a criminal and selling stolen goods, even though he found it in his yard. Bad karma. I wouldn't have hesitated for one second to turn it over to the police, and put a few posters seeing if anyone lost it.

it's not stolen goods.

Look dude who found the iPod mini do the right thing. Tell the police, if no one claims it you get it back, guilt free. Also most people don't go to the police station when they lose something! Just make the effort