Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3237329.stm

It's almost worth going to France for!

I was joking Powerdoc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Quote:

It is neither very wide nor very deep, but it has provided an opportunity for France to launch another costly and bold "Grand Projet".

Gotta love one of the few, written-in slants the BBC has.

To me, it looks like another boring, cable-stayed bridge. I would not want to be the one responsible for fixing the cables, which are known to snap from time to time in these designs.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    It's nice but not a new design.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Gotta love one of the few, written-in slants the BBC has.

To me, it looks like another boring, cable-stayed bridge. I would not want to be the one responsible for fixing the cables, which are known to snap from time to time in these designs.

I'm sure that if they can get the cables up there in the first place, it's not too much of a problem to replace them.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    OK everybody know that they have built, and opened the bridge, why doesn't everybody cry me a river, and get over it!
  • Reply 5 of 23
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    well Frenchies,

I like your new bridge, even if everyone else has sour-grapes for it. Damn haters.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
  • Reply 7 of 23
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

It's nice but not a new design.

There is a finite range of possibilites with something as direct and unadorned as a bridge. You have your compression structures and your tensile structures. In each of those categories, you have your arches, beams and trusses or your cable-stayed and suspension jobs. Everything else is pretty much a variation of those typologies. Sometimes you have a beam bridge with an arch as a brace. Sometimes you have an arched bridge and the beam deck acts as the bracing. Sometimes, the cable-stays are on one side, and the deck is cantilevered. Sometimes, they're right up the middle. Some bridges curve. Some bridges are actually a series of smaller bridges. The Brooklyn Bridge is a suspension bridge, a truss bridge and a cable-stayed bridge all in one!

The trick of a nice cable-stayed bridge is its connection at the top of the pier, where the cables intersect. Is it nubby or is it more elegant? It's going to be really big in any case.

As far as the cables themselves, they actually have giant machines to string the things up, bundle them, tighten them and anchor them. It's a big expense to do it, but it's not like these things are guitar strings. Besides, they're designed for a lot of flexure (ever stand still on a traffic bridge and feel it hop up and down?) and redundancy in case of some failures, up to a point of course.

The thing that I always think about when crossing a big bridge is that they mostly look the same when you're actually driving over them: same road, same barriers, same lines, same vehicles. If you're paying attention to all the stuff you're supposed to be paying attention to, then you don't really notice you went over the bridge at all except for the expansion joints. And the tolls.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

well Frenchies,

I like your new bridge, even if everyone else has sour-grapes for it. Damn haters.

Thanks Mark, this bridge is very nice, and I will use it certainly.

Contrary to what some posters have said, this bridge is not a waste of money. First you have to pay to take it, but it will save you more than an half of hour of time. This brigde is an element of an important highway to interconnect two regions of France.

This bridge has been designed by a US architect (or a british one). The effel company build it. The design is indeed not knew, but there is some interesting variations.

The bridge is not straight, there is a slight curve made by the architect for a better looking.

The way it was build was original (not for the pilar)

it's the highest bridge of the world : you drive at 240 meters above the river. The total height is 340 meters, and the bridge is 2,5 km long.

It worth 400 millions euro.

There wasn't any serious accidents among the workers who build it (like the effel tower)
  • Reply 9 of 23
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

This bridge has been designed by a US architect (or a british one).

Brit. Norman Foster. The guy who did the Erotic Gherkin in olde Londontowne.

I'd like to see the size of its piers where it touches the ground! Some bridges, particularly suspension bridges, have enormous footings that are the size of several football fields, bigger than some towns.

Anyway, I can't wait for this bridgeThe Straits of Messina bridge[/url] to go up. It will connect the Calabria province in Italy to Sicily. No as tall but really, really, really long.

• Reply 10 of 23
    The stills I have seen don't do it justice.

I was watching TV footage of the bridge bathed in sunlight with broken clouds rolling through underneath; it looked gorgeous.

That, when added to the fact (judging by Doc's comments) that it saves so much time and the traffic reduction it means for the village underneath, it seems very worthwhile.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    My dad loves bridges. But he hates France (redneck). This would provide much consternation... I must inform him immediately.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Hell's bells, that's a nice bridge.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    What a refreshing project. I admire any group who goes forward with such a project. The result of the millau bridge is nothing short of beautiful and an inspiration to any who admire artful application of technology. I would love to see this bridge in person. Next October when Heather and myself travel to Paris we can find a way to also visit and cross over this structure.

Well done !!

Fellowship
  • Reply 14 of 23
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Here's some more and better pictures.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

My dad loves bridges. But he hates France (redneck). This would provide much consternation... I must inform him immediately.

• Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Brit. Norman Foster. The guy who did the Erotic Gherkin in olde Londontowne.

I'd like to see the size of its piers where it touches the ground! Some bridges, particularly suspension bridges, have enormous footings that are the size of several football fields, bigger than some towns.

Anyway, I can't wait for this bridgeThe Straits of Messina bridge[/url] to go up. It will connect the Calabria province in Italy to Sicily. No as tall but really, really, really long.

Thanks for the precision.

The base of the pilar are 200 square meter thick : rughly 14 meters of lenght.

At the top it's only 30 square meter.

Foster consider they are thin (the size of a tennis field) : in comparison to what you mentionned you are right.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Meanwhile, back in can-do old USA, the replacement for the eastern span of the San Francisco Bay Bridge (partially damaged in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake) is years behind schedule and ruinously over budget.

What should have been a signature span to rival the Golden Gate has gradually been whittled down to "a freeway on stilts"-- the state just decided to toss the "self supporting suspension" section in favor of an elevated causeway.

Meh.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

ruinously over budget.

It's remind me, the Tunnel fiasco. A financial disaster that ruined many little shareholders.

Luckily, it wasn't the case for the brige : a miracle for a french project ...
  • Reply 19 of 23
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Common Man

This said a lot about the Lonestartimes.

Very fairplay.