When Tiger goes on sale, do you purchase the full version or an upgrade?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I haven't seen a preorder on Apple's website. Coming from Windows you can upgrade or buy the full version. How does apple work with Tiger comes out?

I like how Apple does a family bundle with 5 licenes included for a little more. First class operation.

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    No such thing as an upgrade. It's a full version purchase.

Typically it's been:

$129 single-user license

$199 family pack (5 user)

I'd expect similar when Tiger rolls out.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Correction: the retail box is the upgrade.

The retail box is inherently an upgrade for anyone who buys it because they already have some previous version on their Mac. $129 is the upgrade.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Correction: the retail box is the upgrade.

The retail box is inherently an upgrade for anyone who buys it because they already have some previous version on their Mac. $129 is the upgrade.

Further clarification: but there's no discount for having the next-to-most recent version on your Mac. It's the same price whether you're upgrading from 10.3, 10.2, 10.1 or 7.6.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Only $70 bucks if you're a student/educator or have access to one that will do you a favor!
  • Reply 5 of 51
    jonejone Posts: 102member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Only $70 bucks if you're a student/educator or have access to one that will do you a favor!

Wouldn't that just make it technically illegal if you're not one? And even if you really are a student, don't the agreements only allow you to use it for educational/non-commercial purposes, and no longer once you're not a student
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by JonE

Wouldn't that just make it technically illegal if you're not one? And even if you really are a student, don't the agreements only allow you to use it for educational/non-commercial purposes, and no longer once you're not a student

...so say I buy a $4000 machine from Apple as a senior in college and I graduate after 6 months. What do you think I should do, throw away the computer, or smash it in little pieces and send it back to Apple as a verification of me agreeing to not use it once I'm not a student?

funny how everyone thinks its their business what people do or don't do...
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Further clarification: but there's no discount for having the next-to-most recent version on your Mac. It's the same price whether you're upgrading from 10.3, 10.2, 10.1 or 7.6.

Won't it work like Panther? When I got my G5 last year I got Panther for twenty bucks when it came out after typing in my serial number on Apple's site and placing an order for it. I thought you were entitled to two OS upgrades for cheap if you recently bought a Mac.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    rara Posts: 623member
    You're entitled to one OS upgrade for cheap if it's released within a certain time period of when you bought your computer.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Only lasts for like six months.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

And even if you really are a student, don't the agreements only allow you to use it for educational/non-commercial purposes, and no longer once you're not a student

Not from what I see. Perhaps you're thinking of the ADC student discount. Edu terms and policies are here:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...ndividual.html
  • Reply 11 of 51
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Only lasts for like six months.

Oh well.

I've been watching the WWDC dev videos and the amount of new stuff in Tiger is amazing. Paying full price will be worth the amount of effort Apple is putting into this update.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I agree with the statement above me. Paying full price is no problem. What is $60 more? Nothing in the big scheme.

I am pumped!!

Eric
  • Reply 13 of 51
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Well, as another person said, you certainly aren't going to stop using something once you're not a student/educator. That would be like apple leasing the software to you, and that's not how it works. You BUY things. I don't know what the agreement says, but I'm quite sure it doesn't say that.

Second, using someone else's student discount is no more illegal than say, having a friend who works at some store buy something for you with their employee discount, which might be technically illegal but come on!

I'm not saying one should go out of one's way in pursuit of the student discount, but if you've got a close friend who has it and you don't, I don't see anything wrong with asking for a favor.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    It's a kind of reverse shoulder-tap, and who's ever restrained from tapping on principle?

--B
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

It's a kind of reverse shoulder-tap, and who's ever restrained from tapping on principle?

--B

That's quotable! I love it!

-B
  • Reply 16 of 51
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

...so say I buy a $4000 machine from Apple as a senior in college and I graduate after 6 months. What do you think I should do, throw away the computer, or smash it in little pieces and send it back to Apple as a verification of me agreeing to not use it once I'm not a student?

funny how everyone thinks its their business what people do or don't do...

More like, you should stop and read through what the poster wrote.

He was saying not to use the education discount once one isn't a student. Not that you have to stop using the machine you bought as a student.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

More like, you should stop and read through what the poster wrote.

He was saying not to use the education discount once one isn't a student. Not that you have to stop using the machine you bought as a student.

actually i think he was replying to the person who said wouldn't the software be illegal once you were no longer a student.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

...That would be like apple leasing the software to you, and that's not how it works. You BUY things. I don't know what the agreement says, but I'm quite sure it doesn't say that....

Incorrect. Here's a quote from the Software License Agreement for Mac OS X:

The software (including Boot ROM code), documentation and any fonts accompanying this License whether on disk, in read only memory, on any other media or in any other form (collectively the ?Apple Software?) are licensed, not sold, to you by Apple Computer, Inc.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

Oh well.

I've been watching the WWDC dev videos and the amount of new stuff in Tiger is amazing. Paying full price will be worth the amount of effort Apple is putting into this update.

could you give a brief list of everything that will be new

except for spotlight, automator and dashboard?
  • Reply 20 of 51
    jonejone Posts: 102member
    No, I really doubt it's illegal once you leave, but you may still be bound under the educational/non-commercial license. That is, assuming Apple has such a license. I've seen some pretty strict edu licenses, as well as OEM ones, too.

Sure you could have a friend do it for you, just like a friend could buy you alcohol or copy a CD for you. I suppose in this sense nobody is going to do anything about it.