startup problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Whenever I restart my PowerBook 867mhz 12" it goes through the startup process until i see my desktop picture (no dock, menu bar or finder items) and hangs there with the spinning beachball for about 3-4 minutes.

I first noticed this after upgrading to 10.3.6. Upgrading today to 10.3.7 did not help this. I don't restart often, but when I do this is infuriating.

I have no 3rd party mods running, and no startup items. I've tried fixing permissions.

12" PB 867

640 MB RAM

40 GIG HD

Any ideas of what to try next? Otherwise my system works fine.

Best,

NeilyB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Do you have any network drives? Do you authenticate against a different machine?

Check also /Library/StartupItems.

Do you have a huge tif or eps as your desktop picture?

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    no network, not authenticating, and it happens even w/ no desktop pic.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NeilyB

Whenever I restart my PowerBook 867mhz 12" it goes through the startup process until i see my desktop picture (no dock, menu bar or finder items) and hangs there with the spinning beachball for about 3-4 minutes.

I first noticed this after upgrading to 10.3.6. Upgrading today to 10.3.7 did not help this. I don't restart often, but when I do this is infuriating.

I have no 3rd party mods running, and no startup items. I've tried fixing permissions.

12" PB 867

640 MB RAM

40 GIG HD

Any ideas of what to try next? Otherwise my system works fine.

Best,

NeilyB

this is exactly the same as my 600 MHz iMac G3! It's getting really annoying now.