PowerPC G6?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In the next 5 - 6 years (maybe even shorter time), will there be a PowerPC G6? Or do you think IBM will just let the G5 goes more speedy... Or maybe even totally different structure Mac (e.g. a x86 based Mac or something, as software sells is rising more then the hardware sells)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    There will never be a G6 Powermac.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

There will never be a G6 Powermac.

Are you being serious?

If so why do you say that. G# code is an Apple moniker not an IBM one, and I think Apple likes the G's.

But if you know something do tell...
  • Reply 3 of 32
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    i think that pontiac could have possibly put an end to the Gx moniker. But i also think that apple has a right to it, so i wouldn't count it out. Though i must say that we've been using the Gx for our processors for such a long time it might be time to change it. The G5 is going to be around for awhile anyhow, maybe where there are G5 ibooks they'll come out with something else, but there's a lot of room to grow in to right now.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    As long apple doesn't enter the car business they will have no problems with pontaic and the G6.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I didn't even know pontiac made a G6, and I doubt they (pontiac) would have any quarrel with apple in keeping the naming scheme they have been using for about 7 years.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I didn't even know pontiac made a G6, and I doubt they (pontiac) would have any quarrel with apple in keeping the naming scheme they have been using for about 7 years.

Yeah, if that type of thing was a big problem, I imagine Gulfstream would've said something about the G3's and G4's.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Of course there will be a G6 just as we all had to hold our breath waiting for a G5, IBM will probably develop an UL version of the Power5 or Power6 and have a PowerPC 9xx based on it. That is like asking Intel or AMD if they are going to develop a next-gen processor. Duh! Of course.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Of course there will be a G6 just as we all had to hold our breath waiting for a G5, IBM will probably develop an UL version of the Power5 or Power6 and have a PowerPC 9xx based on it. That is like asking Intel or AMD if they are going to develop a next-gen processor. Duh! Of course.

Of course! why not it was the same rumor mill with the G5 I remember reading/ hearing whether the next apple chip was going to be called the G5, and viola! it was! so a G6 is a no brainer. They could of course surprise everyone and have another name for it when there next line of chips comes out..
  • Reply 9 of 32
    It should be out sometime late next year. They are having problems with

the CPU and heat.

Matt
  • Reply 10 of 32
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Seeing how the G means Generation I do not see why there would not be a G6, unless Apple wanted to come up with a new marketing ploy for the new generation of processors.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Apple for the G6 will use an inhouse processor instead of Motorola or IBM.

They will design and produce there own processors.

Matt
  • Reply 12 of 32
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    ^

Riiiiiiiiight
  • Reply 13 of 32
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I was also thinking about the potential for problems with the Pontiac G6 name as well. Apple might want to neatly avoid a costly court battle.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    I don't think apple would have too much of a problem in court, I feel there's some sort of pre-existing "claim" of sorts to the Gx naming system. My worry (albeit and egoic one) would be someone over hearing me about my new G6 and then asking me for a ride. I'm sure steve gave all those at pontiac a call when he found out about their G6...and fired them all.

Quote:

Yeah, if that type of thing was a big problem, I imagine Gulfstream would've said something about the G3's and G4's.

Gulfstream's jet's are named, after the G200 series: GIII, GIV, GV so there would never have been a problem with that.

There's just going to be a point where running out to get the new G13 is going to be a bit absurd, y'all disagree?
  • Reply 15 of 32
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    G6 means the sixth generation of powerPC chip.

The fact that a pontiac hold that name is not a problem.

Mot released the PPC 604. There was a Peugeot car named 604. There was not any court trial for this.

There is tons of example like this.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    Land Rover sells (sold?) a "G4" version of the Discovery SUV.

Canon sells a digital camera called the "G5"

There are countless other examples.

Trademark law isn't going to stand in the way of Apple's use of the "G6" moniker if they choose to so.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Maybe Apple will adopt the new Intel naming system so customers will not be confused.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ompus

Land Rover sells (sold?) a "G4" version of the Discovery SUV.

Canon sells a digital camera called the "G5"

There are countless other examples.

Trademark law isn't going to stand in the way of Apple's use of the "G6" moniker if they choose to so.

Good example : G1, G2, G3, G5 and now G6.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I was also thinking about the potential for problems with the Pontiac G6 name as well. Apple might want to neatly avoid a costly court battle.

That's the only reason Pontiac did that.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    And Volkl made G1, G2, G3, and G4 skis. Not to mention the G10, G20, G30, G40, G11, G21, G31, and G41.