FrontPage on VPC sucks, any way to run it over a network off of a PC?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there fairly simple way to run frontpage off of a PC at my house over my LAN on my mac?

I was thinking maybe remote desktop but I am not familiar with the Mac enough to know if there is such a thing or if anyone has already done it. Besides, if it were popular I would have probably dug up something in the search but you don't know until you ask.

Eric

Comments

• Reply 2 of 18
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Even for free at http://www.realvnc.com/

and the X client at http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/

YMMW with the speed
  • Reply 3 of 18
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Is there fairly simple way to run frontpage off of a PC at my house over my LAN on my mac?

I was thinking maybe remote desktop but I am not familiar with the Mac enough to know if there is such a thing or if anyone has already done it. Besides, if it were popular I would have probably dug up something in the search but you don't know until you ask.

Eric

Why don't you get a webpage editor that doesn't generate all of the incompatibilities produced by FrontPage?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Can you suggest an editor that is easy to use, and is on both the PC and Apple platform? I have Adobe GoLive for the Mac but I am not sure that it was like I thought it was going to be. Maybe it will be better than front page?

The website for work has to be able to edited on a Windows machine.

ERic
  • Reply 5 of 18
    What about Macromedia's Dreamweaver, or if that's overkill, Contribute? I'm assuming you don't want a text editor, but something cross-platform and more or less WYSIWYG.

This isn't meant to be arrogant, but people who do this sort of thing for a living have told me that FrontPage is a last resort only for them, that it's not very good insofar as producing code that renders consistently on different browsers, or even produces standard HTML language.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    That's been a big empty spot in Mac software...a cheap and easy website creation tool. Yes, Frontpage creates some of the worst, non-standards websites this side of Word's HTML output, but what else is there, really, short of hand-coding HTML? Sadly (fortunately?) it's Windows-only.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    WYSIWYG is a must because I don't want to go back to the days I used notepad to do all of my website creations. That sucked!!

I am going to give GoLive a shot. Maybe it will do because I am not doing anything special with my site now.

www.bargerandsons.com

I would like to be able to stream QT video from it one day but I guess that can wait.

Eric
  • Reply 8 of 18
    One last thing, the dynamic html stuff in Frontpage makes editing the site nice. Now my top, left and bottom bars are the same and kept up to date by editing just one speical page. THat is a must feature.

Eric
  • Reply 9 of 18
    There's plenty of cheap and easy web tools for Macs, just that they're not developed for Windows too. Create, Freeway and others are good, but they're Mac-only.

Maybe give Macromedia's Contribute a try. I believe that its main selling point is that you use templates and can add/remove and alter the content at will, something along the lines of the dynamic HTML description you made WRT FrontPage. The idea is that a non-coder type can drop their own content onto the app and upload a webpage with minimal upkeep and alteration to the layout.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Why not just use text editor, most developers and even designers (if not involve other technology) use it at my work.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Just use Dreamweaver... or BBEdit

and CSSEdit for CSS.

I do all my webdeveloping on my powerbook..no need for windows for that.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Dreamweaver is far from perfect but it is the best out there for WYSIWYG. It is also good for just editing the code but i have been told that BBedit is better for that.

I have to say that Frontpage is a bit easier than Dreamweaver but becuase of its compatibility issues Dreamweaver wins by far.

I was disappointed by GoLive considering how awesome Photoshop is. GoLive makes really complicated code (weird tags too). It also has some weird way of doing rollovers that are not as compatible as DW's. It is also complicated at times
  • Reply 13 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Can you suggest an editor that is easy to use, and is on both the PC and Apple platform? I have Adobe GoLive for the Mac but I am not sure that it was like I thought it was going to be. Maybe it will be better than front page?

The website for work has to be able to edited on a Windows machine.

Er, since any *decent* HTML Editor will produce *gasp* HTML... any editor on each machine should work. It's only if you're dealing with braindead editors that you need to start worrying about vendor lock-in. *cough*MS*cough*
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

Dreamweaver is far from perfect but it is the best out there for WYSIWYG. It is also good for just editing the code but i have been told that BBedit is better for that.

I have to say that Frontpage is a bit easier than Dreamweaver but becuase of its compatibility issues Dreamweaver wins by far.

I was disappointed by GoLive considering how awesome Photoshop is. GoLive makes really complicated code (weird tags too). It also has some weird way of doing rollovers that are not as compatible as DW's. It is also complicated at times

I started with BBEdit as a code-editor..but i changed to Dreamweaver for its better php-syntax highlighting...

I don't use the WYSIWYG thing..i tried once and it gave me a headache
  • Reply 15 of 18
    WYSIWYG should be a lot better than what it has become. I remember, back in the day, working in Adobe PageMill and thinking "This is how it should work!"

Then WYSIWYG flew off the tracks...
  • Reply 16 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Or you could try the editor in Mozilla. I find it easier to use then even those big expensive apps.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    for HTML editors on the Windoze side, I use Crimson Editor
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Yes, it exists:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherpr...edesktopclient

Thank you! That works absolutely perfect and is very quick.

I will try and run autocad 2005 LT this way and do a comparison with VPC.

Eric