.plist that controls the "aqua.jpg" pic behind the Login pane?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I want to edit the blue default desktop pic behind the Login pane. I know the OS uses the pic named "Aqua Blue.jpg". I want to use another pic. Where is this .plist value at?

(Yes, I know I can "trick" the OS by just renaming my pic of choice to "Aqua Blue.jpg", but I think thats sloppy.)

Im gonna add my corporate logo to the Login background.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    resexcellence.com has a lot of hints in this regard

otherwise, I'd also look around osxhints.com

let us know too if you find out
  • Reply 2 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Check to see what user `loginwindow` is being started with, probably root but I'm not positive (could also be windowserver, for example). To do that, you'll need to SSH into the box while you're at the log in screen, and run something like `ps axww | grep loginwindow`.

Now assuming it's root, you could just try and activate that user, log in to its GUI, set the desktop background and log out. Might work.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Hmm.

/Library/Desktop Pictures/Aqua Graphite.jpg

/Library/Desktop Pictures/Aqua Blue.jpg

are hardcoded into loginwindow. Not sure about the first, I presume it's used for OS X Server?

You /could/ technically edit the binary to change these strings but I would strongly discourage that.

Sorry, I can't find a solution right now
  • Reply 4 of 7
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    If it's hardcoded just rename your desired pic to replace the above ones. remember to back the old ones up if you still need them around for something else.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Now assuming it's root, you could just try and activate that user, log in to its GUI, set the desktop background and log out. Might work.

Didn't work for me. I logged in as root and set the desktop pic to be a bright orange image to test. Logged out and even rebooted to test it. The Login window still has the default Apple "Aqua Blue.jpg" desktop image behind the Login pane. I tried it on 4 Macs running Jag and Panther. No luck.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    http://www.keakaj.com/visage.htm this app let you customize all this stuff... but it aint compatible with Panther. Hmm. Emailing the author may get you some answers
  • Reply 7 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Just rename the AquaBlue to AquaBlueDesktop or something, and rename the file you want for your Login Background to AquaBlue.jpg.

I personally use the plain blue, it looks better during startup and shutdown, more consistent.

It would be nice if there was a pref for this, though.