No G5 PowerBook?

Comments

• Reply 141 of 178
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

maybe they'll release a special version of OS X for the PowerBook, like they did for the PowerMac G5. \

We all have the right to dream. However, I don't see a Powerbook G5 coming this January. Not because the last updates lack the reference to the alleged Powerbook, but because the problems IBM faced this year, caused a major slowdown in the G5 progress by many months, perhaps a year. The time (autumn 2003) when S. Jobs in an interview said he would not expect a Powerbook G5 before the end of 2004, IBM had not have yet hit the head in the wall. If you make such considerations, you do realize that a Powerbook G5 would not be possible before the autumn of 2005. And that, only if things go without more problems on the IBM side.

Given the current publicly known G5 status, we will see a Powerbook G5 this January only if IBM pulls a rabbit out of the hat.
  • Reply 142 of 178

PowerBook G5s will be announced on January 11th and shipping by late February running 10.3.8. PowerBook G4 prices will be quietly dropped the same day.
  • Reply 143 of 178
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

PowerBook G5s will be announced on January 11th and shipping by late February running 10.3.8. PowerBook G4 prices will be quietly dropped the same day.

where's the proof?
  • Reply 144 of 178
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Proof...we don't need no stinking proof.

But, there is the fact that it will be 9 months with only a wee bit o speed bump to the PowerBook lineup. IBM has been saying publicly that Power Tuned laptops are capable of housing a 970fx and the fact that promotions end Jan 10 on PowerBooks and PowerMacs. Not to mention rumors here and MacRumors and ThinkSecret that discuss the low-power 970fx....well, and Apple included the SMU specs in 10.3.5. I guess it wouldn't floor me if we didn't hear their announcement on Jan 11th, but I still would bet that we will.
  • Reply 145 of 178
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Proof...we don't need no stinking proof.

But, there is the fact that it will be 9 months with only a wee bit o speed bump to the PowerBook lineup. IBM has been saying publicly that Power Tuned laptops are capable of housing a 970fx and the fact that promotions end Jan 10 on PowerBooks and PowerMacs. Not to mention rumors here and MacRumors and ThinkSecret that discuss the low-power 970fx....well, and Apple included the SMU specs in 10.3.5. I guess it wouldn't floor me if we didn't hear their announcement on Jan 11th, but I still would bet that we will.

No-one's denying that there will be a new PowerBook in Jan. BUT I am seriously doubting the G5 which i was adamant would appear until very recently. I would love a 2Ghz G5 in Jan but i don't think it's going to happen.
  • Reply 146 of 178
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    Basing all this on hearsay is retarded. No one knows what is coming. We all assume or want something, but flatout saying that the PB G5's "are coming in January" or "are not coming in January" is going to make someone look really stupid. I want a PB G5 so bad because it is time for me to upgrade come the new year. Do I know it's coming? No. Do I assume its coming (in January, that is)? I dont know.

There is plenty of evidence to support the G5 (No update when iBooks did, way over standard Rev. schedule, Apple being VERY quiet about it, etc.) but there is equal evidence to support that it won't be here (HEAT [anyone that owns a Pmac G5 knows], stock of G5's, new 1.7 G4, Apple being VERY quiet about it [realy could go both ways], etc.)
  • Reply 147 of 178
    I haven't seen any post as sensible as that for a while
  • Reply 148 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by propropro

I haven't seen any post as sensible as that for a while

maybe so but retarded is a bit strong! If you look at Apple's patterns there are predictions you can make, everyone here is making an estimate in order to make a more informed decision - there's nothing wrong with getting excited over new computers.

You're in a post entitled new powerbook G5 soon? what else would it be based around, apple are so secret there will be little facts here.
  • Reply 149 of 178
    Well, I just meant ryanh had made a good summary of the situation of all of us.

Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

there's nothing wrong with getting excited over new computers.

I'm a PC user and a student who has been working several months to buy a Mac, and currently waiting for a new PB to switch, so I think it's clear I'm really excited about it! I expect to buy a PB by spring (May?) and it's possible that what we will see in MWSF is what I will get. If you ask me, a PB G5, but... well, I'm only daydreaming.
  • Reply 150 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by propropro

Well, I just meant ryanh had made a good summary of the situation of all of us.

I'm a PC user and a student who has been working several months to buy a Mac, and currently waiting for a new PB to switch, so I think it's clear I'm really excited about it! I expect to buy a PB by spring (May?) and what we will see in MWSF is what I will get. If you ask me, a PB G5, but... well, I'm only daydreaming.

i'm in the same situation as you, and am having sleepless nights over what computer i should get.
  • Reply 151 of 178
    Only that the PB will be my FIRST Mac, so my excitement is greater than yours :P (just joking )
  • Reply 152 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

Basing all this on hearsay is retarded. No one knows what is coming. We all assume or want something, but flatout saying that the PB G5's "are coming in January" or "are not coming in January" is going to make someone look really stupid.

Yep, my life revolves around this RUMOR site and looking stupid is definitely going to affect me socially and morally.

RUMOR sites are based around predictions, hearsay, and sometimes insider info, but sources of the latter have shrunk to near non-existence. What else would you like me to base my RUMOR-beliefs on?

Retarded?
  • Reply 153 of 178
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Retarded?

Anyone can have his opinion. But if he believes it is retarted to discuss rumors, i don't see the point to post his opinion in a board discussing rumors. Unless he wants to insult the people who participate in such discussions.
  • Reply 154 of 178
    Speculating is fine. I was talking about the people that are concretely saying they are coming or they are not coming.

I have no problem discussing the rumours and why or why not you think that the G5 PB's will be here or not. But too many, in this thread and others, have been going off about how they won't be here and how useless apple is or how they will be here. I don't see a point in doing that. No one knows. That's all I'm saying.

I appologize, perhaps saying it was retarded was too strong. I wasn't calling anyone retarded, persay, but the act of doing that was.
  • Reply 155 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

I appologize, perhaps saying it was retarded was too strong. I wasn't calling anyone retarded, persay, but the act of doing that was.

No problem. I won't lose any sleep over it. I still say that we have been waiting a LONG time for updated PowerBooks - not just simple tweaks and bumps they last saw 9 months ago (well, 9 months from mid-January anyway). Seeing Apple has not updated them on their 6-month past schedule, seem a bit odd. And the fact that a few months ago they published PowerBook specs that showed the use of the 970fx (or variant of - the AppleMacRISC4PE kernel extension from Mac OS X 10.3.5). Just seems it is coming soon or later, and I feel sooner is the operative here.
  • Reply 156 of 178
    Agreed.

I'm just torn because of the business vs. technological view.

From the business standpoint, Apple almost HAS to release a G5 powerbook. Technologically, I don't know if it is possible.

Where did it show that a PB was using a 970 variant?

*EDIT* NM, just read your post again. 10.3.5. Got it.
  • Reply 157 of 178
    Jeez, I post a prediction and you call me retarded. Nice. I really wish people would stop using that word too. It makes you sound like a bunch of little brats that are too young to know any better. But you do. For those of us who help out the handicapped it is particularly annoying and unsettling to hear it used that way all the time. Grow up.
  • Reply 158 of 178
    Well, I did appologize and I will appologize again to you personally.

But just to let you know, it is actually a PC term.

But lets drop this and stick to the actuall thread. Sorry for sparking this.

So.... Powerbook G5's: too hot on the crotch? Thoughts?

That was a joke.

Also, Twinbrook, why do you think that they will be released? That's all I really want is for people to add atleast some educated reasoning to their rumour mongering.

Now if you'll excuse me, I just finished my last final exam for the fall term and these beers aren't going to drink themeselves.
  • Reply 159 of 178
    The reason why Twinbrook, Rhumgod, me, and all the others who believe the G5 pbook is coming in MWSF is that there is proof of it. Back when 10.3.5 came out, 2 mysteroius Powerbook numbers showed up. Those numbers are Powerbook 7,1 and 7,2. Which also leads me to the fact the 12" Powerbook might be killed since there are only 2 numbers. The powerbook numbers use the MacRISC4??(don't remember the exact letters after the 4) architecture. The Powermac G5, Xserve G5, and iMac G5 also use the same architecture. With no updates to the powerbooks when they updated the ibooks and were not updated soon after, it makes you think why would it take so long to get a simple faster G4 revision to the pbooks. We all know it won't be the dual core G4 or the PPC 7448, the predcessor of the 7447A. The dual core G4 was just sampled in October. So you expect them around WWDC time at least. The PPC 7448 won't even be sampled intill January. That is why I think G5 pbooks are coming.
  • Reply 160 of 178
    Interesting.

Did the numbers disappear in .6 and .7?