iMac's

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So when will we see a 23" iMac g5 at 2+ ghz? Cause I want one

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Never. They will discontinue the brand name iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by debenm

So when will we see a 23" iMac g5 at 2+ ghz? Cause I want one

Only problem I see for now is cost. If the 23" displays were be more reasonably priced (and they would perhaps be so today if there was not this slowdown in LCD price drops the recent years), then I don't think there would be something preventing Apple from doing this.

And if you take into account the facts that: (1) the new iMacs use the same mount design as the new displays (available to sizes up to 30"), and (2) the 20" iMac G4 came into light a little less than two years after the introduction of the first 15" flat panel model, then you are tempted to assume that one of the new design goals has something to do with the possibility of having in 18-24 months from now 23" displays priced like the 20" ones today. And consequently a 23" iMac. Too hypothetical but not impossible.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    i had my 20" iMacG5 for 2 hours and i said to my girlfriend that when apple would build a 23" version of the iMacG5, in a couple of years, i would probaly buy it.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    Really? I finally got my mom comfortable enough to switch and my dad bought her a 20" and I almost think it's too big. If you need a 23" screen, I would assume that you are doing projects that probably require more power than the iMacG5.

Damn, with the bevel on the bottom that thing would be monstorous. Or, I guess with the extra screen realesate, they could do away with the bottom bevel? Just a thought.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    iMac's WHAT?

Apostrophe police!
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Chris is right.

The plural is "iMacs".

I have one iMac. I have two iMacs.

"iMac's" is the possessive.

My iMac's screen has one dead pixel.

wow, that sucks.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

wow, that sucks.

the dead pixel ?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    I have a G5 20" iMac and the screen at first was huge. After a little time it does tend to settle down in size a bit - you adjust to it and it seems a natural size.

I also have a 23" Al display at the office that I plug my PB into and it is still huge, but perfect for working - especially with multiple windows being worked on at one time.

Add the 23" to the iMac line? Would be grand, but prices must drop a lot before then. I can see the 23" display dropping $500 if the 30" follows the 23" price path - going from $3+ grand to around $2 grand. At that time the 23 might work for the iMac, but it will still be expensive, especially as these users will add a lot of RAM.

In time the display components will go down to the point where you'll see a 23" in the iMac and you'll be talking about a 30" for the iMac.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    I want a 20" iMac (23" would be better) with a built in tv tuner. Hook my harmon/kardon soundsticks up to it and I got a complete entertainment system perfect for college. Will apple ever make an iMac with a built in tv tuner. I hope so, and soon! I have the money!
  • Reply 10 of 29
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

the dead pixel ?

Its'' not' a dead' pixel' its' an' apostrophe'
  • Reply 11 of 29
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

Really? I finally got my mom comfortable enough to switch and my dad bought her a 20" and I almost think it's too big. If you need a 23" screen, I would assume that you are doing projects that probably require more power than the iMacG5.

hmmmmmmm, let me think.

nonsense

why would apple introduce a powermacG5 with the same specs as an iMacG5?

you get a not so fast computer with expansion, big deal. but you can finally hook a 23" cinema display to something that costs less than 2000 euri.

there are people who hooked a 20" or 23" cinema display to their 15"pbG4. in both cases they have more screen real estate than an iMacG5 23"inch would have. But the processorpower of such a combination is less than any current iMacG5.

i would have choose that configuration option in combination with a pbG5, but couldn't wait and the current offering of powermacs would have cost me at least 700 euri more than an 20" iMacG5.

if a 23" iMacG5 would be launched in a couple of years would it still have a 1.8Ghz processor?

i don't think so.

if a 23" iMacG5 would be launched in a couple of years would it stillhave a nVidea 5200 GPU?

nope.

of course it needs to have more power than the current iMacG5 offering because otherwise it wouldn't sell. at least not to me.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Since the original Mac, the screen size of these machines are increasing.

The first mac was a 9 inch display, then you have the Mac 2 with the 12 and 13 incher ... followed by the performa 5XXX with the built in 14 inch, then the original imac with the 15 inch CRT, then the imac lcd with the 15 followed by the 17 incher and lately the Imac G4 20 inch.

Now the Imac line start at 17 inch and finish at 20.

The market is for bigger screen. I have choose a 20 inch I mac and I am pretty with it. The big screen is a real plus. I don't see why it won't change in the future. The size of the screen will stop increasing, when they will reach a critical size.

This size is linked with the visual field. If the screen is so large that you have to turn your head way too much to go from one corner to one another, the screen will become unconfortable.

This is not the case with my imac 20 inch. I am very happy of this choice. I take a single imac G5 with a 20 inch display, over a dual G5 with a 17 inch display anytime.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    slightly OT but when are the iMacs due for a power boost?

nat
  • Reply 14 of 29
    I think that the problem with the iMacs are that they lack the graphical capabilities for some things. Doom3, for example. Because the graphics card is built into the logic board, it is hard for normal users to replace it. But, low and behold, it is a bad graphics card. If they put, say, an Nvidia 6800pro, I wouldn't mind. That is one of their, "performance" cards. But they don't, and I was going to wait for them to replace the logic board to get an iMac, but now I'm not so sure. Does anyone know if this will come to pass, the upgrading of the logic board, within, say, 3 months? Then again, Doom 3 isn't yet out for apples...boo...hoo...
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by pins and needles

Because the graphics card is built into the logic board, it is hard for normal users to replace it.

And for what kind of users is this easy?

Quote:

If they put, say, an Nvidia 6800pro, I wouldn't mind. That is one of their, "performance" cards.

And how it is supposed to cool the thing?

Quote:

Then again, Doom 3 isn't yet out for apples...boo...hoo...

This is something to expect, if you think a little about the following questions: (1) what is the Apple market share today? (2) In this market share, how many people have a Doom 3 graphics capable Power Mac G5 (iMac G5 is out of question)? (3) From those who have it, how many are going to play Doom 3 in their machines?
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by pins and needles

Because the graphics card is built into the logic board, it is hard for normal users to replace it.

Quote:

Originally posted by PB

And for what kind of users is this easy??

Ahem... It would seem that this will be easy for most kinds of users:

From Apple Support:

Quote:

iMac G5 parts you can install yourself

Think you need a new part? You can replace many of your iMac G5's parts yourself.

The iMac G5 is designed to make it easy for you to install replacement parts if you need to. The parts you can install yourself are:

AirPort Extreme Card

Memory - DDR 400 MHz (PC3200) SDRAM

Hard drive

Optical drive

Power supply

LCD display

Modem card

Mid-plane assembly (contains the main logic board, the G5 processor, fans, and so forth).

• Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

Ahem... It would seem that this will be easy for most kinds of users:

From Apple Support:

Replacing the logic board just to have a better graphics chip is a different problem.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Err yes ... What were they thinking ???
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Can anyone find some direction as to how I can remove the logic board and replace it?

Online? Or a book, or directions from yourselves?
  • Reply 20 of 29