To increase market share, why doesn't Apple give an iPod away with a new computer?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
If Apple really wants to use the iPod to as a marketing tool to increase their computer market share, why don't they basiclly give the iPod away with a new computer?

I'm sure they wouldn't have to give the iPod away, but maybe make it for $100 or something with the purchase of a new computer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Oh, I don't know, probably something to do with making money.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Why not just follow the logic all the way and give away a Mac with the purchase of an iPod.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Why not just follow the logic all the way and give away a Mac with the purchase of an iPod.

best idea yet! (from a consumer perspective)
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I think the plan is to keep increasing the iPod's price and features, until it is able to replace the iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Yes, Virginia, the iPod flash is being included with each Mac...

But seriously, why give away something they can't keep in stock?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    well, while this is a not very thought out idea it is on the right track

I dont understand why Apple did not implement a promo for an instant rebate when buying an a mac with an iPod this holiday season. The iPod is THE gift of the holidays. Some estimates are saying Apple is going to sell over 4.5 million iPods this quarter. That is 4.5 million people purchasing an apple product, many of which are going to an Apple Store to purchase it or to an Apple section of another store. This is many people's first intro to Apple and the mac and first experience of seeing their products and using them. If Apple was running a promo right now where an iPod was 99 bucks or 199 with the purchase of any mac i think they'd get a lot of sales. People are going and paying 300-500 bucks for an iPod. an iBook starts at 999, iMac 1299. It's more money but the deal could just get some impulse buyers who wouldnt normally get a mac.

It's time for the iPod to start impacting Mac sales. I want to see mac sales over 1,000,000 a quarter....now. It's inexcusable.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I got my 10GB iPod about a year ago for less than $100 when i bought my PowerBook. It was an education deal. I saw another deal this year for students only that discounted iPods with computer purchases. So, your idea is not that far off. Its just that they limit it to the eductaion crowd, those most interested in iPods I guess.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jessearl

If Apple really wants to use the iPod to as a marketing tool to increase their computer market share, why don't they basiclly give the iPod away with a new computer?

Wouldnt it be nice if they could keep them in stock at their current pricepoints...EVERYONE IS SOLD OUT OF IPODS THAT MEANS THAT THEY ARE HOT.

Another prespective:

Why doesnt the resteraunt give me a free slice of pie, after all, i did just buy a steak dinner!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    The problem is that for each one new switcher, there are between five and ten regular Mac users. And lots of them are buying iPods anyway. So you'd be giving away like $1000 profit just to get one new Mac user. 5 current Mac users would save $200 each if the IPod was only $99 and that would only influence one person to switch.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spindler

The problem is that for each one new switcher, there are between five and ten regular Mac users. And lots of them are buying iPods anyway. So you'd be giving away like $1000 profit just to get one new Mac user. 5 current Mac users would save $200 each if the IPod was only $99 and that would only influence one person to switch.

sacrifices must be made in order to increase marketshare. that one person soon becomes a customer for applecare, .mac, apple software, future apple computers, mac os x updates, etc. look long term, not today.

also, the deal would be getting the iPod for a little below cost. the larger margins of the computer would make up for most of the loss.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    They were practically doing this all year. Buy a laptop, get $200 off an iPod. But they stopped for the holidays, I assume because they'll sell plenty of Mac and iPods without the help. Every time I've been to an Apple Store it's been packed, and everyone says the iPod the "the" gift of 2004 (yes, I'm giving one, too). I wouldn't be surprised if the rebate comes back after the holidays.