iPod shortage strikes again

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    There is no iPod sales forecasting problem at Apple. There is no production management problem at their suppliers. Or... at least none of the arm-chair CEOs here have any true indication otherwise.

Apple keeps doubling production without building up excess inventory. This is a sign of success, not failure.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    by the way, i read online earlier this week about how there wasn't any "must have toy" this year, but i think there is... and it's suitable for all ages!

• Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Nothing is easy. But the words 'too hard to do' should not be in a company's vocabulary if it pertains to do-able things and, most importantly, if that company wants to be a successful one.

First, I didn't say "too hard to do"...second, it could be nearly impossible...or, at the very least, unprofitable and impactical, to do this in the short run.

Quote:

There is no long-run maximum capacity. A company may be bound to a limited capacity in the short-run, but their capacity should be expanded in the long run. Everything is fixed in the short-run, including the production capacity, but nothing should be fixed in the long-run, with the exception of, perhaps, salaries (by long-run, it is meant a fiscal year).

And we are talking about the short-run. So you've help make my point.

Quote:

Obviously, we haven't heard the economic terms yet. Human resources may also mean knowledge, ideas, management, physical labor, etc.; all of which are a result of, or pertain to, people. But to make it clear, I meant, employees, otherwise known as, personnel. This may range from the package guy, up to the Division manager, so, lets not make it sound like I was being 'harsh' by using a term that is not offensive at all.

Sorry...I simply hate the term as it reduces people to nothing different from a pallet of steal or a barrel of oil. I know the economics terminology. I simply think it is degrading.

Quote:

And you know that reality... how?

I was simply stating that there is economic (and business) theory...and then there is reality...and sometimes theory hits a speed bump or road block at reality. (e.g. just turning up new production capacity.)

Quote:

You know what this begs for? Adequate Supply.

Yes, and by most accounts there appears to be.

Quote:

Well, the current demand may be pumped up by the Christmas season, and it may not reflect the actual, real-term demand out there.

What do you mean by "actual demand"?

Quote:

But, since some of the largest retailers/online stores, don't have them in stock, there are 2 options:

1. Not enough supply from Apple.

2. Not enough stock in these respective companies.

The first one may not be the case now, but the second one relies on the first one, so if its the second one, the first one may have a finger in all of this.

All quite correct. But given that other retailers seem to have supply, the probability of #2 appears to be higher.

Quote:

How do you know they did?

How do you know they aren't?

Look, you were the one that said (stating as if it were fact):

"They should have produced more before the Christmas season and not worry about new factories and their costs now."

Quote:

Why was Apple unable to meet ALL demand last year? The exact same problem they might (to be correct here) have this year. Their supply strategy is not (as far as I can tell) the strongest part of the company. Or their economists/predictors are just not up for the task.

They certainly have appeared to have problems in the past. We don't really know if there are any problems (on Apple's part) at all this year. One news report doesn't make it a problem. It is only one report, and one lacking adequate facts.

Quote:

A classic example of Apple losing 1 customer due to supply constraints. Isn't this what we are debating here? WHY lose this 1 (and perhaps, many more) customer[s]?

The real question is whether the marginal revenue lost if greater than the margin cost to have provided that supply. Again, assuming there really is a shortage.

Quote:

But iPods are neither rare, nor hard to find. So, why does the customer need to worry about it?

Then I guess there isn't a problem now is there?
  • Reply 24 of 36
    The shortage is in just most of the retail stores besides Apple's. The send iPods to their own stores first and then to everyone else. If you check their online website it still states 1-3 days shipping for all but 1 mini iPod (Gold).

Macaddict16
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Hmm, good thing mine was ordered as a gift in October, huh? (And not given to me until yesterday! )

I just have to figure out how to make it work with the comp :'(
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

P.S. Just to be clear: this is not a discussion on which Apple store or thirdy-party store is loaded or not with iPod, this is a discussion about Apple, the company, and its strategy of supply and predictions of the market.

Well, yeah it is in a way. Because it was sparked by the original article which I now believe to be bull-shit. I've looked online and locally and I can find no place I could not buy any iPod I wanted. So what you are arguing about is a nonexistent problem.

I guess if you want to rant that apple doesn't know what they are doing because they might have a problem that they don't have--well, then, I guess there's not much point in discussing it.

But until someone names a place I can't get an iPod, I don't believe it is a widespread problem.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macaddict16

The shortage is in just most of the retail stores besides Apple's. The send iPods to their own stores first and then to everyone else. If you check their online website it still states 1-3 days shipping for all but 1 mini iPod (Gold).

Macaddict16

Which retail stores, exactly. None of those I've checked. Which one have you tried to buy an iPod at and been unable to?
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Lest you think I'm blowing smoke, link here. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

20 Gig model, ships in 1-2 business days. Amazon has no shortage.

Even the discount websites have them: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/search/se...=1&incimage=on

If Best Buy has a shortage, it is because Best Buy didn't order enough. But it doesn't look like Apple or customers will be suffering from this so called shortage.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Maybe it is just in my area because every iPod retailer is out of stock. Best Buy, C.C., CompUSA, even Target. Best Buy had some of the Photo ones and the U2 but that was it, everyone else had nothing. It is not just one store eaither the closest one of these that had one in stock was an hour away and I have at least 3 of each retailer within about 30 min.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macaddict16

Maybe it is just in my area

And your area is???
  • Reply 31 of 36
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    The local comp usa in my area had them last week when I happened by. I was in an apple store yesterday and they had box after box line up behind the register. I saw several leave the store in the 15 minutes I was there.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

I really think the shortages are being overstated here. I checked again last night, and CompUSA has every size of iPod available--both Apple and HP branded. The same with Best Buy. So at least where I live, no one is going without an iPod that wants one.

Has anyone here actually tried to buy one and couldn't? Or is it all just speculation.

Apple Store UK have no iPod 20GB. Fact! Have lots of photos and enough minis
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

What about the 40GB iPod?

Yes it is a fact...but only one...for one store/location...for one product of the family.

Plus...we're now 4-5 days closer to Christmas.

I don't deny there are shortages...but I don't know if (yet) there are NO iPods to be had anywhere. It seems the shortages are spotty and anecdotal at this point.

Finally...shortages are to be expected for this product at this time.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Finally...shortages are to be expected for this product at this time.

Exactly, shortages are to be expected for ALL products at various times. Given the nearly exponential growth in sales, supply has been maintained quite well.

(One more data point: The Pittsburgh Apple store and CompUSA have all models available.)
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Apple, sadly, has a habit of short changing other countries in favor of the US if supplies are tight. Then again, this close to Christmas, if the still had tons of stock that would be a problem, too.

I don't doubt some places are sold out. But I still think, at least in the US, with minimal effort no customer would do without an iPod--although a store might miss a sale.

I hope the UK shortage is not wide spread.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

Apple, sadly, has a habit of short changing other countries in favor of the US if supplies are tight. Then again, this close to Christmas, if the still had tons of stock that would be a problem, too.

I don't doubt some places are sold out. But I still think, at least in the US, with minimal effort no customer would do without an iPod--although a store might miss a sale.

I hope the UK shortage is not wide spread.

It looks like it might be! Apple Store UK might be getting some in but resellers in the UK always have difficulty with stock. No iPod 20GB or minis at Jigsaw24.com either.