No G5 PowerBook?

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 178
    Yeah, they did disappear. But, that means nothing to me. They probably still be introed at MWSf and ship probably when panther.8 comes out or it will ship with tiger already installed.
  • Reply 162 of 178
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    Ya, I was thinking maybe they could shit with a new OS if they were released. I was surprised that 10.3.7 came out. I assumed if the new PB's were coming, it would be released when they are.
  • Reply 163 of 178
    I just want to bring to note that even though the Powerbook numbers disappeared, the Powermac 9,1 is still there. What the hell is that? Can't be the emac G5. A new cube? Dual core Powermac G5? Power5 based dual core G5?
  • Reply 164 of 178
    How do I view this stuff?
  • Reply 165 of 178
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

How do I view this stuff?

Launch the terminal and go to the directory

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC4PE.kext/Contents/PlugIns

All is there.
  • Reply 166 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

I just want to bring to note that even though the Powerbook numbers disappeared, the Powermac 9,1 is still there. What the hell is that? Can't be the emac G5.

Why?
  • Reply 167 of 178
    Quote:

The dual core G4 was just sampled in October. So you expect them around WWDC time at least.

The dual core G4 is not going into sampling before autumn 2005 and consequently won't be available in the market before the spring of 2006. Do you mean perhaps something else?
  • Reply 168 of 178
    Well the 10.3.6 update was released 5th November - that's ~6 weeks ago. Therefore it's quite feasible that the powerbooks could be announced at MWSF and shipping at the end of January which is ~6 weeks time.

I just think (as others have said) that if it was a simple G4 spec bump we would have had it some time ago, and what better way to start 2005 than with a new G5 powerbook which is probably more anticipated than the iMac G5.

Also note how there was alot of talk at the end of last year / beginning of this year about how hard it was going to be to get a G5 running in a notebook enclosure, but no-one official has really mentioned anything like that recently.
  • Reply 169 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Why?

Consumer computer numbers tend to be even numbers like the iMac G5 is Powermac 8,1. Pro computers tend to be odd like the Powermac G5 is Powermac 7,2. The only exception to the number rule seems to be the 12" Powerbook. Which is Powerbook 6,4.
  • Reply 170 of 178
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

I just want to bring to note that even though the Powerbook numbers disappeared, the Powermac 9,1 is still there. What the hell is that? Can't be the emac G5. A new cube? Dual core Powermac G5? Power5 based dual core G5?

Single PowerMac G5 1.8GHz, maybe? I'm assuming here, of course.
  • Reply 171 of 178
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nine-Seventy

Well the 10.3.6 update was released 5th November - that's ~6 weeks ago. Therefore it's quite feasible that the powerbooks could be announced at MWSF and shipping at the end of January which is ~6 weeks time.

I suspect that Apple could ship the new powerbooks and an altered OS anytime they wanted. That is that the changes required to implement or ship the new hardware are likely to be minor compared to the OS as a whole. In other words slap in a couple of configuration files updates and a few drivers and you are good to go.

Quote:

I just think (as others have said) that if it was a simple G4 spec bump we would have had it some time ago, and what better way to start 2005 than with a new G5 powerbook which is probably more anticipated than the iMac G5.

I think Apple wants to get a 64 bit laptop out in the worst way. I would not be surprised to see one more go around with the G4 if needed. It is already obvious that faster chips are available for G4 upgrades.

Quote:

Also note how there was alot of talk at the end of last year / beginning of this year about how hard it was going to be to get a G5 running in a notebook enclosure, but no-one official has really mentioned anything like that recently.

The G5 based laptop may be here sooner than I thought even a couple weeks ago. This due to IBM's announcements made a week or two ago with respect to new process technology. If it works and they can get it online as fast as they hope then it looks like a low power technology will be available for portable chips. Of course the question then becomes just what will that chip be. I suspect something totally new with alot of 970 heritage.

Dave
  • Reply 172 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

This due to IBM's announcements made a week or two ago with respect to new process technology

What is exactly this? I think I missed it.

Quote:

I suspect something totally new with alot of 970 heritage.

Dave

That's precisely what I am expecting too. And not the G5 we all know at this moment.
  • Reply 173 of 178
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

What is exactly this? I think I missed it.

IBM announced new strained silicon technology a couple of weeks ago. Lowers power and/or increases speed. You will have to look up the details.

Quote:

That's precisely what I am expecting too. And not the G5 we all know at this moment.

Well people can argue all they want about the 970 but it isn't a laptop chip set in its current form. The reality is that it has been a long time since the 970 debuted, it is about time for a new series of chips.

Dave
  • Reply 174 of 178
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nine-Seventy

Unless they hit problems and had to go back to a G4, like a ail-proof. I would love to see a G5 PowerBook in Jan - I don't think we will though. Maybe WWDC - if not by then i can't wait any longer!
  • Reply 175 of 178
    My apologies if this has already been posted, but for those of you interested in heat issues associated with G5 chips, here are some numbers from the Intel top end P4 counterparts. You can't quite boil water, but you might be able to poach an egg!

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20...p4_560-02.html
  • Reply 176 of 178
    They cured the Intel P4 problem by building 12 pound laptops. They get steamy hot when turned on. I hope Apple won't resort to building huge laptops like that..... The 17" PB is small compared to the ones I have seen.
  • Reply 177 of 178
    Agreed.

Apple would probably have no problem putting out a G5 powerbook if they abandoned apple design for notebooks. The fact that they want to keep the case as close to an inch as they can is probably the hardest factor they are facing. (or faced, whether they accomplished this or have given up. heh)
  • Reply 178 of 178
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

Agreed.

Apple would probably have no problem putting out a G5 powerbook if they abandoned apple design for notebooks. The fact that they want to keep the case as close to an inch as they can is probably the hardest factor they are facing. (or faced, whether they accomplished this or have given up. heh)

That's what makes Apple laptops stand out and be so amazing, however the price is a bit steep.