Who says they'll go any in the near future?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
K... no offense, but apple hasn't always been the most up to date when it comes to upgrading it's optical drives. I mean for crying out loud the top level PowerMac's are still using the 8x burner, when all i would accept is a 16x. And, the family main computer is a Windoes98Se which we brought way back in '99, and IT has DVD-ROM drive that has been there since we brought it. Just becuase we have the technology doesn't mean ANYONE will implement it for a while.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    yea.... is this means what?

Macaddict16
  • Reply 2 of 41
    G5 optical specs:

DVD-R write: 8x

DVD read: 10x

CD-R write: 24x

CD read: 32x

That's not too much behind the times...

Most of my CD burning is behind me now that I have an iPod, so I could almost care less
  • Reply 3 of 41
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Who says they'll go any in the near future?

What the h3ll is that supposed to mean, What is this thread about?
  • Reply 4 of 41
    When it includes the optical science whose Apple is quicker motion than Yoo divination sign the fact that it will do, but is not end of the world. This it is a quicker motion is quick in if, the consideravelmente the extensive outsider empty tin-can it wants always your start and. You who are worse this who than will be able to complain above that him that there is a thing, all, me it thinks all inside.

That inside synopsis you must close above, me it thinks.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

When it includes the optical science whose Apple is quicker motion than Yoo divination sign the fact that it will do, but is not end of the world. This it is a quicker motion is quick in if, the consideravelmente the extensive outsider empty tin-can it wants always your start and. You who are worse this who than will be able to complain above that him that there is a thing, all, me it thinks all inside.

That inside synopsis you must close above, me it thinks.

Makes sense to me. Remember, however, Apple is on a litigious rampage at present. When you throw inside info like this around, you do so at your own risk.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

K... no offense, but apple hasn't always been the most up to date when it comes to upgrading it's optical drives. I mean for crying out loud the top level PowerMac's are still using the 8x burner, when all i would accept is a 16x. And, the family main computer is a Windoes98Se which we brought way back in '99, and IT has DVD-ROM drive that has been there since we brought it. Just becuase we have the technology doesn't mean ANYONE will implement it for a while.

They're much swifter on the superdrives then are on others. The 32x combo drives they're using haven't been produced for over two years.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    The thing a lot of you are forgetting is that my dual 2.5 G5 cost more than my car is worth.

Another thing you are forgetting is that you can get a dual layer drive in the PC world for $80. And don't give me any of that "well it's PC only!" bullshit, we all know it's a few programming hours away from compatibility.

I hate to bring up the old "Apple is ripping us off" mantra, but, on the powermacs at least, it's not like they ever stopped.

$3000... think about that... $3000 for a computer with 512 RAM, 160gb HD space, 3 PCI slots, and the worst video card that came out this year..

I'm not even going to mention the things you could get in the PC world for that amount.

The least they could do is include a dual layer drive.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    slughead

Quote:

$3000... think about that... $3000 for a computer with 512 RAM, 160gb HD space, 3 PCI slots, and the worst video card that came out this year..

512MB of RAM is what $70. 3 PCI slots...what they hell do you need more for honestly? Video card can be upgraded cheaply to a decent ATI.

Quote:

'm not even going to mention the things you could get in the PC world for that amount.

I'll save you the trouble.

Spyware

Adware

Trojans

Virus

Worms

Windows XP the best known security risk on the planet

There's a reason why IBM sold their PC division. PCs have no money in them. The companies cannot differentiate themselves in any other way other than to scream about specs.

pining over 16x drives or Dual Layer discs is "spec whorism"

YOU ARE NOT YOUR F*CKING COMPUTER SPECS-Tyler Durden 2004

I wish people would just do something with their computers rather than bitch about not being able to burn a DVD 4 freakin minutes faster or not being able to be raped by the price of Dual Layer media.

Stop complaining and do something with your Macs.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

slughead

512MB of RAM is what $70. 3 PCI slots...what they hell do you need more for honestly? Video card can be upgraded cheaply to a decent ATI.

Spyware

Adware

Trojans

Virus

Worms

There's a reason why IBM sold their PC division. PCs have no money in them. The companies cannot differentiate themselves in any other way other than to scream about specs.

pining over 16x drives or Dual Layer discs is "spec whorism"

YOU ARE NOT YOUR F*CKING COMPUTER SPECS-Tyler Durden 2004

I wish people would just do something with their computers rather than bitch about not being able to burn a DVD 4 freakin minutes faster or not being able to be raped by the price of Dual Layer media.

Stop complaining and do something with your Macs.

yo, seriously. a word of advice. go buy a shotgun at your local gun dealer, walmart, whatever.....go into the woods and blow your fucking brains out because you are seriously braindead already.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Bucking for another vacation, nut?
  • Reply 11 of 41
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Bucking for another vacation, nut?

Or an ass kickin. I'm civil on these boards but NO ONE talks to me like that to my face.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    That's alright, I doubt he talks like that to anyone's face either. It's just bluster from anonymity. I'd like to say it doesn't mean anything, but it's annoying, in that pesky-mosquito sort of way.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I don't think posts like Applenut's should be tolerated.

CharlesS's post, however, is a real classic. I couldn't make any sense of the original post of this thread either, or of its title.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Or an ass kickin. I'm civil on these boards but NO ONE talks to me like that to my face.

I'd talk to your face like that anyday.

and Kickaha as well, since he's so afraid to read my words at the message board that he bit off of this one.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Whoa nelly! Did I walk in at a bad time?
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I'd talk to your face like that anyday.

and Kickaha as well, since he's so afraid to read my words at the message board that he bit off of this one.

What the hell does that sentence even *mean*?

nut, seriously. Drop it, chill, and don't bother making posts like the above again. It's not welcome.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

What the hell does that sentence even *mean*?

The thing and that thing method it talks and the nose it carries on shoulder to the face of the hmurchison and thu will insult theyn the place thing the Applenut means. It is visible friend this it stimulates enough. The possibility them the hmurchison in water color of retrocede threat ending like this on up in it donkey if it was he seems Tae softly. Me in me by us who start this 2 in the plan which is identical in if it will happen and theyn the place thing increases egg Sip. It will be able to pass the POP cone I.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Hello, I just checked back to this forum. I never posted the original thread here, put it as a reply to the thread below me.

I dont know what this is doing here either. Probs a bug in forum.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Spyware

Adware

Trojans

Virus

Worms

Why does everyone always assume that if you own a PC it has to have Windows on it? I have an HP desktop (Solaris 10) and a Sharp laptop (NetBSD), both was cleansed of their evil OS at birth.

Powermacs are expensive for the price/performance they are offering so if a 16x times DVD is available then give it to us. The HUGE margin markup on the Powermac should be enough to cover the 20 or whatever small dollar difference there may be.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Well said Relic. Apple should provide the best in optical media (and not only) in the top of the desktop line for this price.