software for editing video from canon ixus40 ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i recently got an ixus40 and more importantly a lovely baby daughter. naturally that means that my new camera is in constant use, and i have become especially fond of the wonderful video function it offers. so now i have all this footage that i would like to turn into something i can terrorize all our visitors with

i tried using iMovie, but that converted my clips into DV, thus making them all blurry/fuzzy.

the clips from the camera are .avi files with 30fps at 640x480 (ntsc or pal).

i would like to keep/edit/output them in their native format so as to not lose to much quality.

at the apple website i looked at final cut express but that seems to be Dv only as well...

does anyone have any suggestions? i don't really need anything fancy - just some fades/wipes and titles and 1 or 2 audio tracks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I use MPEG Streamclip here .

Demuxes MPEG1 video and audio direcly to .DV file. I then import into iMovie and then export to whatever format I want.

I use a Sony P-100 that also does a wonderful 640x480 mpeg1 as well. I then export at 640x480 MPEG4 ISO @ 2-3Mbit/s (close to the original 3mbit original file)

I dont see any degradation of quality by doing this...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    thanx ZO,

i downloaded the program to check it out: unfortunately it doesn't do .avi files which my camera produces...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bryan.fury

i recently got an ixus40 and more importantly a lovely baby daughter. naturally that means that my new camera is in constant use, and i have become especially fond of the wonderful video function it offers. so now i have all this footage that i would like to turn into something i can terrorize all our visitors with

i tried using iMovie, but that converted my clips into DV, thus making them all blurry/fuzzy.

the clips from the camera are .avi files with 30fps at 640x480 (ntsc or pal).

i would like to keep/edit/output them in their native format so as to not lose to much quality.

at the apple website i looked at final cut express but that seems to be Dv only as well...

does anyone have any suggestions? i don't really need anything fancy - just some fades/wipes and titles and 1 or 2 audio tracks.

If you download and install the free DivX QuickTime codec, you will be able to edit your video in iMovie. I cannot find a reference to the Canon ixus40 on Canon's website. I do, however, see the Canon Optura Xi and Canon Optura 40. So, I cannot speak to your specific camera. Be that as it may, I strongly suspect that your "blurry" DV files have nothing to do with the format conversion, per se. I suspect that you are converting a low-resolution .avi video to a higher resolution video. When you upconvert, you spread a fixed number of pixels over a larger area. Viewed on a high-quality display such as a computer monitor, your video will appear pixelated or blurry. Viewed on a standard TV set, your video should appear normal.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

If you download and install the free DivX QuickTime codec, you will be able to edit your video in iMovie. I cannot find a reference to the Canon ixus40 on Canon's website. I do, however, see the Canon Optura Xi and Canon Optura 40. So, I cannot speak to your specific camera. Be that as it may, I strongly suspect that your "blurry" DV files have nothing to do with the format conversion, per se. I suspect that you are converting a low-resolution .avi video to a higher resolution video. When you upconvert, you spread a fixed number of pixels over a larger area. Viewed on a high-quality display such as a computer monitor, your video will appear pixelated or blurry. Viewed on a standard TV set, your video should appear normal.

Mr. Me,

the Ixus 40 is a digital photo camera which nonetheless makes very nice videos (as i said in my first post, these are ".avi" files at 640x480 with 30fps.).

when i open it in quicktime and "getInfo" it says "motion JPEG openDML" as the file format.

again, i would like to keep the size as it is and be able to edit it comfortably in some programm. if it needs to be converted to DV then i would rather that the file gets some black border around it than having it scaled to fit 720xwhatever.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bryan.fury

Mr. Me,

the Ixus 40 is a digital photo camera which nonetheless makes very nice videos (as i said in my first post, these are ".avi" files at 640x480 with 30fps.).

when i open it in quicktime and "getInfo" it says "motion JPEG openDML" as the file format.

again, i would like to keep the size as it is and be able to edit it comfortably in some programm. if it needs to be converted to DV then i would rather that the file gets some black border around it than having it scaled to fit 720xwhatever.

Final Cut Pro (and I assume Express) can import quicktime files without scaling them (i.e. do the black border).

I recommend you do scale them up though - don't judge the output based on what's on screen in imovie. Wait until you've seen it through a television before passing judgement!

Amorya
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I played about with a sample video from one of the photography review sites. You can just import the video straight into iMovie but then export it back as Quicktime - I think you might need QuickTime Pro to do it. When you export it back, you can manually set the video size to 640x480 and use MPEG4 or something like that. The video looked good. The sound was a bit iffy using MPEG4 audio - very dull.

P.S. This camera is called the Canon Digital Elph SD310, or something like that, in the USA.