Who says they'll go any in the near future?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Why is this thread in future hardware and not in some other forum like

"completely irrelevant insane and argumentative after having no useful title"

Moderators please take this one out and put it out of its misery.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Stop complaining and do something with your Macs.

As if everyone that isn't perfectly happy with Apple's current offerings own their macs just to let it sit there at the desk and do nothing all the day ...
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Woahhhh, Applenut calm down!
  • Reply 24 of 41
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    buy apple care EXTREME!

now with free anger management!

• Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

As if everyone that isn't perfectly happy with Apple's current offerings own their macs just to let it sit there at the desk and do nothing all the day ...

Hey each and everyone of us has the right to say "for $3000 I expect these features"

I just think sometimes, however, this can be blown out of proportion though and lead to "Apple sucks" or other outlandish statements.

Many graphics houses do just fine with G4s and Quark 4.x. There's a vast difference between the needs of a consumer vs a professional.

The inability for the consumer to shift his/her center and look from another point ov view is what causes threads that simply make little sense and that pisses Applenut off to no end and then he must destroy everyone....before waking up LOL
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:

Many graphics houses do just fine with G4s and Quark 4.x. There's a vast difference between the needs of a consumer vs a professional.

Yeah, I assure you I know. I use one of those heaps of junk every day I work. OS 9, Quark 4.1. G4 400 MHz is the fastest system we have. Not that the systems are adequate or doing their job decent even for a tiny print shop, though. They somehow get the job done, and nothing more.

I just reacted to the rather arrogant statement of yours that implied that people that whine, complain or express unhappiness (which sometimes includes me) doesn't do anything with the computers and therefore hasn't got the right to complain. If I misunderstood I apologize.

I agree that pointless, ignorant bitching is ... pointless, but I don't think such categorization should apply to this thread.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

512MB of RAM is what $70. 3 PCI slots...what they hell do you need more for honestly? Video card can be upgraded cheaply to a decent ATI.

What do I need more than 3 slots for?? First of all, none of your damn business, this thing costs $3000 and I can't upgrade the mobo for ANY amount of money so enough with the "to each according to his need" crap.

OK, I will tell you what I need them for:

1. my 6800 takes up AGP + 1 PCI

2. Video input card (TV tuner or other)

3. 2nd Video card (for Video output to VHS/TV)

*4. Second SATA card because Apple only allows 2 freakin hard drives in the thing. And, according to my own experience and http://barefeats.com , Apple has crippled the Firewire 800 port.

How's that? Something wrong with wanting to use a $3000 machine to do video editing? Is that too much to ask or am I being a "spec whore"?

Not all of us use iMovie, you know :P :P

Quote:

I'll save you the trouble.

Spyware

Adware

Trojans

Virus

Worms

Windows XP the best known security risk on the planet

I've had my PC with Windows on it for 6 years and have NEVER gotten a virus. If you just don't use outlook and/or IE and put a zone alarm on your computer (which I also have on my Mac), then you don't HAVE to get viruses.

Not only that but OpenBSD is more secure than Mac OS X.. should we all switch to that?

Also, there IS spyware for mac OS X, as well as adware.

The only reason I use a PowerMac when I so obviously dislike the features (or lack thereof) is the tremendously awesome OS. And by that I mean I get a free apache webserver, with mysql and php. I also get an FTP server and a SSH server and tons of other stuff, and I know it's configured to be secure. This is essential when I need to do web design or something else.

Quote:

YOU ARE NOT YOUR F*CKING COMPUTER SPECS-Tyler Durden 2004

Cute quote, but in the end, we are nothing without our specs. Would you rather use a G3 or a G5? What was that? G5? OMG U SPECwh0r3!!!

I should point out that I own fight club, and the one time I tried to burn it, I couldn't because Apple didn't give me a dual layer drive :P

Quote:

I wish people would just do something with their computers rather than bitch about not being able to burn a DVD 4 freakin minutes faster or not being able to be raped by the price of Dual Layer media.

Dual layer media will come down in price. And, as I said before, it's not any of your damn business what I use it for.

If I buy the "BMW of computers", it damn sure better have adjustable seats :P

If I need to get a DV-15 file to my client, I'd gladly be "raped" by the price of media than have to put it on my iPod.

Quote:

Stop complaining and do something with your Macs.

No sir I actually DO use my computer. Maybe if you did the things I do, you'd agree with my "complaints."

$3,000 is nothing to scoff at. Saying "You don't NEED 1,024MB RAM" or "You don't NEED 3 Hard drive bays" or "You don't NEED 4 PCI slots" is just naive. Maybe it's YOU who need to do something with your mac.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to work.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

I just reacted to the rather arrogant statement of yours that implied that people that whine, complain or express unhappiness

Yes it was rather arrogant and not my main intention. I wish I had a dime for every poster than spouted off a bunch of specs as if the only value of a computer is the sum of its parts.

People can request what they want I have no problem with that and it "is" none of my business why they want what they do. However I'd be remiss to not provide a counterpoint arguement here and there. Value is a subjective thing, Apple isn't always cutting edge but they do a damn good job of staying close. I've been through worse times. Many of us have.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

What do I need more than 3 slots for?? First of all, none of your damn business, this thing costs $3000 and I can't upgrade the mobo for ANY amount of money so enough with the "to each according to his need" crap.

OK, I will tell you what I need them for:

1. my 6800 takes up AGP + 1 PCI

2. Video input card (TV tuner or other)

3. 2nd Video card (for Video output to VHS/TV)

*4. Second SATA card because Apple only allows 2 freakin hard drives in the thing. And, according to my own experience and http://barefeats.com , Apple has crippled the Firewire 800 port.

How's that? Something wrong with wanting to use a $3000 machine to do video editing? Is that too much to ask or am I being a "spec whore"?

Not all of us use iMovie, you know :P :P

As a professional Film and Video editor, I find it EXTREMELY hard to belive that one would go through the trouble of using a video input card that did not also have video output. Do they actually make such a thing? There is no need for an additional Video card to output to TV unless you have a TERRIBLE video capture card.

They make Firewire for a reason. Using firewire devices will make your life a lot easier. For the most part, I use firewire to a Canopus ADVC A/D converter for viewing on a TV and recording to VHS. I use another firewire port for audio output for surround sound mixing.

If you need A TV tuner, they make one that is an HD tuner that hooks up via firewire.

You don't NEED all those PCI slots. you May WANT them to set your system up, but you don't NEED them. Maybe get another firewire PCI card and then you'll have another 3 inputs or outputs.

I guess what it comes down to is this. IF YOU NEED 4 PCI slots, get 2 G5's. If you can only afford 1 G5, look for solutions other than PCI.

As for the Dual layer or 16x DVD burner, won't they also work in an external firewire case? It probably won't work to burn straight from DVD studio Pro or iDVD, but i'm sure Toast would see em.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by tak1108

As a professional Film and Video editor, I find it EXTREMELY hard to belive that one would go through the trouble of using a video input card that did not also have video output. Do they actually make such a thing? There is no need for an additional Video card to output to TV unless you have a TERRIBLE video capture card.

I like having both a video input and a video output card. It's cheaper and gives me more options.

However, even if I were to get a media 100 card, what if I wanted 6 channel sound? Or maybe I want some USB 2.0 ports

So look here:

6800 vid card AGP + 1 PCI

Media 100 card 1 PCI

USB 2.0 controller

SATA RAID controller for external hard drives which I need because Apple only gave me 2 internal, and they crippled the firewire in the G5s.

That's more than 3 already, and we haven't even addressed my 3rd monitor yet!

Quote:

They make Firewire for a reason. Using firewire devices will make your life a lot easier. For the most part, I use firewire to a Canopus ADVC A/D converter for viewing on a TV and recording to VHS. I use another firewire port for audio output for surround sound mixing.

Actually, Firewire components make my life harder, in that they generally cost 2-3 times as much as PCI cards which do the same thing.

Quote:

If you need A TV tuner, they make one that is an HD tuner that hooks up via firewire.

My miglia card cost me $100. An equivalent item for firewire would be $400.

Quote:

You don't NEED all those PCI slots. you May WANT them to set your system up, but you don't NEED them. Maybe get another firewire PCI card and then you'll have another 3 inputs or outputs.

What I NEED is for me to decide. For $3000, having 4 available should be a given.

Quote:

I guess what it comes down to is this. IF YOU NEED 4 PCI slots, get 2 G5's. If you can only afford 1 G5, look for solutions other than PCI.

Mmm yes, now I'm up to $6000.. man you have no idea what I'd expect from a $6000 setup.

Also, after I put my 6800 in, I only had 2 slots.

It's funny you should mention buying a 2nd computer, as I dealt with the 2 PCI slot problem by putting 4 hard drives in my G4 DP 800 and accessing it over 1000baseT.

Incredible, my old computer which cost half what my new one does holds twice as many hard drives! and it's an Apple too!

Quote:

As for the Dual layer or 16x DVD burner, won't they also work in an external firewire case? It probably won't work to burn straight from DVD studio Pro or iDVD, but i'm sure Toast would see em.

Ahem, $3000 is $3000. I don't know about you, but for that much scratch, they could at least give me more PCI slots than they had in the BEIGE G3!@!

This was my argument. Of course you can use external enclosures for drives, that's hardly the point.

I KNOW you can upgrade the G5. The point is, $3k is a CRAP LOAD of money ESPECIALLY for a computer. At that price, it'd better be at least OK in all aspects. That means NO 5200, MORE than 512 RAM, and MORE than 3 PCI slots (which goes to 2 if you buy the 6800U).
  • Reply 31 of 41
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

pining over 16x drives or Dual Layer discs is "spec whorism"

Right, I should just Shut My Trap™ and wait the extra half hour, or put up with a 4-and-a-bit GB ceiling...

Quote:

I should point out that I own fight club, and the one time I tried to burn it, I couldn't because Apple didn't give me a dual layer drive :P

You could transcode it to a lower bitrate so it would fit on a single sided DVD. It's a bit CPU intensive, but a newer Mac would probably manage better than my rev A 12" PowerBook.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:

That means NO 5200

You do know the Duel 2.5 G5 DOES NOT come with an FX5200,dont you?
  • Reply 33 of 41
    posted by someone

You could transcode it to a lower bitrate so it would fit on a single sided DVD. It's a bit CPU intensive, but a newer Mac would probably manage better than my rev A 12" PowerBook.

Yeah I ended up doing that, but of course I gave up quality and 2nd languages.

posted by someone else

You do know the Duel 2.5 G5 DOES NOT come with an FX5200,dont you?

Yes, I do, I forgot to stay on target for a second. You know that duel is a verb. The word you're looking for is "dual"

I love nitpicking
  • Reply 34 of 41
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

I KNOW you can upgrade the G5. The point is, $3k is a CRAP LOAD of money ESPECIALLY for a computer. At that price, it'd better be at least OK in all aspects. That means NO 5200, MORE than 512 RAM, and MORE than 3 PCI slots (which goes to 2 if you buy the 6800U).

What the f*ck did you buy it for then?
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:

You know that duel is a verb. The word you're looking for is "dual"

I love nitpicking

Of course I do,but my keyboard doesnt.So is the Radeon 9600xt-

"the worst video card that came out this year.", or have you been off target more than a second? Look,I'm not trying to get on your case but it is not "nitpicking" to point out a pretty major flaw in your complaints...especially as you are so vocal in expressing them.I dont agree with everything Apple does but some of your complaints are over the top.Then again I just cant relate to someone who would spend 500 bucks on a graphics card.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

[B]K... no offense, but apple hasn't always been the most up to date when it comes to upgrading it's optical drives. I mean for crying out loud the top level PowerMac's are still using the 8x burner, when all i would accept is a 16x.

This is Apples worst hardware offence..They put something on the market and let it stagnate until "The Next Big Thing".They need to upgrade things like optical drives whenever they become available,not just when that umpteen month life cycle comes to a close.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    If you find your G5 box so terrible, overpriced and underspecced, why did you buy it in the first place? I think that's just silly.

Deck out your windozer with all the stuff you want and apparently need and go live a happy and productive life - albeit without the convenience of the best OS in the market, the best bundle of included software and the best designed system integration your $3000 bucks can buy.

Your money, your choice, your life.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by kroehl

albeit without the convenience of the best OS in the market

That's the only reason I don't get a PC. Also, since the current PowerMac I own is "adequate", I'm putting off buying a G5 until it can offer me exactly what I want. I just hope I don't have to compromise.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

I like having both a video input and a video output card. It's cheaper and gives me more options.

However, even if I were to get a media 100 card, what if I wanted 6 channel sound? Or maybe I want some USB 2.0 ports

My miglia card cost me $100. An equivalent item for firewire would be $400.

What I NEED is for me to decide. For $3000, having 4 available should be a given.

Mmm yes, now I'm up to $6000.. man you have no idea what I'd expect from a $6000 setup.

Well, I think you are just arguing this because you won't consider alternatives. The cheapest and easiest way to edit video is to edit DV. Plug your camera or a deck into the firewire port. Plug the RCA or S-Cable or Component cables into a TV or monitor. Edit until the cows come home.

If you want 6 channel surround sound (like I have, actually 7.1) consider purchasing a MOTU 828 or 828MKII. I have 8 audio inputs and outputs plus ADAT and SPIF inputs and outputs. I have 6 outputs hooked up to speakers and in my software DECK and soon to be Logic, I designate what outputs go where. output 1 goes to Front right, output 2 to front left, output 3 to center, output 4 to Right Surround, etc.

And if you are considering Media 100 Please for the love of god don't! Unless you are going to purchase the 844/X which doesn't run on a Mac, I wouldn't be purchasing Media 100 anytime soon.

A Kona I/O or Kona 2 (pci-x)from AJA and Final Cut Pro or Black Magic Decklink are much better solutions and cost a heck of alot less.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Well, I think you are just arguing this because you won't consider alternatives. The cheapest and easiest way to edit video is to edit DV. Plug your camera or a deck into the firewire port. Plug the RCA or S-Cable or Component cables into a TV or monitor. Edit until the cows come home.

If you want 6 channel surround sound (like I have, actually 7.1) consider purchasing a MOTU 828 or 828MKII. I have 8 audio inputs and outputs plus ADAT and SPIF inputs and outputs. I have 6 outputs hooked up to speakers and in my software DECK and soon to be Logic, I designate what outputs go where. output 1 goes to Front right, output 2 to front left, output 3 to center, output 4 to Right Surround, etc.

And if you are considering Media 100 Please for the love of god don't! Unless you are going to purchase the 844/X which doesn't run on a Mac, I wouldn't be purchasing Media 100 anytime soon.

A Kona I/O or Kona 2 (pci-x)from AJA and Final Cut Pro or Black Magic Decklink are much better solutions and cost a heck of alot less.

Wow, someone has a lot of gizmos. I agree with you on the point that he needs to be a little more open on his choices. For instance purchasing one these could rectify the need for 4 drives. That?s a choice, but at that price? Apple could have easily remedied this by forgoing a little fashion for practicality. I love OSX, bitchin OS, but sometimes I to feel a little left behind in term of expandability for the current Apple hardware. Where?s my media drive/dual battery compartments on my Powerbook, I friggen loved those. Where are my dual media bays in the G5 Power Mac? Yes, in return we got the awing effect a shiny Alu-Powerbook has on a bystander, but why can?t Apple make a workstation series for the men and women of tech boards like this?