12" iBook Best When Using.....

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is the iBook good working with terragen and first-party apps like iMovie and iPhoto?I'm not looking for a powerbook,and the picture quality looks better than the 14" counterpart.So if you'd help me figure this out,thanks. \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    I don't know what terragen is, but both iPhoto and iMovie will run decent on the 12". Both definitely suffer from RAM limitations so you will probably want to upgrade that. The screen space on the 14" makes using iMovie a fair bit more enjoyable.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    I downloaded terragen and tried it on my 12" iBook 1,2 Ghz, 768mb RAM. after doing some random drawing, I set the rendering to best qual and size to 1024x768, it rendered just shy of half and hour (27.5 min; 850,000 quads, if that means anything to you...) I did run variuos other apps while doing so, so actual performance might be better.

I use iPhoto from time to time and find no problem here... don't use iMovie.

If you intend to do lots of video you might also consider getting a faster hard drive (and bigger...)
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I have one being delivered tomorrow morning--so if there is anything you'd like me to try for you I could report the time it takes. I primarily wanted something I could use in writing a novel--and the size and price of the iBook was too hard to resist.

I just know I'll regret it when they release the g6 iBook at MWSF.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

I just know I'll regret it when they release the g6 iBook at MWSF.

Not before releasing the G5 first.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Not before releasing the G5 first.

No, really, I heard they were skipping a version on the iBook. It's going to be the new flagship computer.

Okay, not really. That's just the way my luck usually goes. It's a cute little computer though, so I'm happy.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Theres an awesome program called Terragen on Planetside.uk.com and I was wondering if you could try that out and tell me if its pretty fast on an mac.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by AudioBlood

Theres an awesome program called Terragen on Planetside.uk.com and I was wondering if you could try that out and tell me if its pretty fast on an mac.

I'll download it and try it out right now.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

On the new iBook, it takes about 2 minutes to render a flat image at 640x480, it seems to take about 8 minutes to render a more complex scene at 800x600. This is with the detail turned on high. I don't know how that compares to other machines, but it certainly seems usable to me.

If you pointed me to a sample files, I'd time that as well. And you are right, it is a cool program. It's a shame I lack much artistic talent.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Thank's alot.That's a manageable render time,although it takes 8 minutes to render a mountain-filled picture at a res. of 1280x960 on my windows machine.I'm sure with some more memory I'll be ready for the app.You check out www.Terradreams.de.They have Spectacular pics made with this app in the user gallery.The best ones are the figi series pics on page 14,15,and 16.Thank's again.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Oh,um that's page 15,and 16.Also the best one is A small piece of the parodies.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Thank's alot.That's a manageable render time,although it takes 8 minutes to render a mountain-filled picture at a res. of 1280x960 on my windows machine.I'm sure with some more memory I'll be ready for the app.You check out www.Terradreams.de.They have Spectacular pics made with this app in the user gallery.The best ones are the figi series pics on page 14,15,and 16.Thank's again.

Yeah, I've only got the standard 256meg of memory right now, but I've got a 512MB card comming in on Monday, and I hope that speed the iBook up. Still, I'm really happy with it. The size is great to carry around.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    *coughs* Uh hey guys, the iBook 12" displays exactly the same amount as the iBook 14" same resolution boys and gals
  • Reply 13 of 16
    *coughs* Uh hey guys, the iBook 12" displays exactly the same amount as the iBook 14" same resolution boys and gals

-Sorry Double Post-
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

-Sorry Double Post-

I was under the impression that it was the same resolution, but on a smaller screen--which looks a little sharper. Although I bought it primarily because of the size, not the screen. Some people hate the smaller screen, because it's harder to see. Mostly personal preference.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I also prefer a smaller screen.The size won't bother my eyes because I'm use to seeing small details.Of course I won't have the screen real-estate of the 14",but I can manage.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    All i was saying is that you get the exact same amount of data on a smaller screen. If you prefer the icons larger, set the res to 800x600 or something.