Apple releases AirPort software updates

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Computer today released AirPort Express Firmware Update 6.1.1 and AirPort Extreme Firmware 5.5.1.

AirPort Express Firmware Update 6.1.1 features improvements to the AirPort's hard reset behavior, the reliability of WDS networks when using WPA security, and passive FTP. The update also fixes an issue with certain printers which were no longer recognized by the base station after the 6.1 firmware update was installed.

AirPort Extreme Firmware Update 5.1.1 resolves a potential problem with PPPoE configurations when updating from 5.4 or earlier. Additionally, the update features all of the improvements available from the (above) AirPort Extreme Firmware updater.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Installed the extreme updater.....and WOW. BIG difference in my page load speed. Honestly...we're talking 50% faster. What changed?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I've been checking all evening and the update isn't showing for me.

:-/
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Not appeared in Software Update for me either yet.

I wish they'd 'fix' one thing though. Currently, Airport Express disables the ethernet port if you're using it in client mode - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108040

If it acted as a wireless-ethernet bridge I could plug it in to an existing wired network and bridge to my wireless router in the other room and still stream music/print. I can't see why they do this, other than to further sales of Airport base stations or AE cards.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Strange, it's still not showing up in the Software Update. However, the Airport Express update is already on. The link for the Airport Extreme update is this, but still not in the list.

I would say wait before install.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Not appeared in Software Update for me either yet.

I wish they'd 'fix' one thing though. Currently, Airport Express disables the ethernet port if you're using it in client mode - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108040

If it acted as a wireless-ethernet bridge I could plug it in to an existing wired network and bridge to my wireless router in the other room and still stream music/print. I can't see why they do this, other than to further sales of Airport base stations or AE cards.

It can act as a bridge... client mode is the mode you use if you just want the printer and music sharing features. There's another mode it can run in which'll let you bridge your existing network.

Amorya
  • Reply 6 of 9
    The other mode, where it doesn't switch off the ethernet port, is WDS mode, which only works with other Apple Airport Extreme/Express base stations and a couple of other makes - Linksys W54G with patched firmware, Buffalo, a Belkin and a couple of others using the same Broadcom chipset Apple use.

My router is a Draytek Vigor 2600We, which doesn't support WDS at all. What I'd have to do is add a second Airport Express wired in to the 2600We over ethernet in WDS mode.

If Client Mode worked as a wireless to ethernet bridge, I'd not get WDS's ability to just add on another Airport Express to extend the network, but it'd bridge the one hop from my 2600We to my wired network in the other room. I'd much rather have everything running on a wired network than wireless, and only using the wireless network for ADSL.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

If Client Mode worked as a wireless to ethernet bridge, I'd not get WDS's ability to just add on another Airport Express to extend the network, but it'd bridge the one hop from my 2600We to my wired network in the other room. I'd much rather have everything running on a wired network than wireless, and only using the wireless network for ADSL.

The bridge mode isnt really a bridge, its a wireless extender. Getting bridging out of it is just a bonus. Apple are using the WDS standard for wireless extension, I dont think you can complain about that.

If you want bridge why dont you go out and get one of the ones intended for use with consoles and printers. They are pretty cheap, and do exactly what you want ( well, at least you wouldnt have to buy a whole base station ).
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

The bridge mode isnt really a bridge, its a wireless extender. Getting bridging out of it is just a bonus. Apple are using the WDS standard for wireless extension, I dont think you can complain about that.

I'm not complaining particularly. I'm aware it does what it says it does. I just think it would be cool if it just went that little bit further and allowed bridging in client mode as well as in WDS mode. It's obviously capable of it because that's what it does do in WDS mode.

Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

[BIf you want bridge why dont you go out and get one of the ones intended for use with consoles and printers. They are pretty cheap, and do exactly what you want ( well, at least you wouldnt have to buy a whole base station ). [/B]

Yep. One of those would do but then I've an Airport Express that's doing little more than replacing a cheap bit of stereo cable. I know it's pretty to look at and everything but I'm not that much of an apple fanboy. Then again, the prospect of buying two of them and using WDS mode does appeal.

I can almost buy an ethernet adsl modem and Buffalo 54g router for the price of an Airport Express though.