iBook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

Im a mac newbie and want to purchase an iBook (12").

My question is, does anybody know if/when a new version of the iBooks (or the iBooks with Tiger) will be coming out?

Id hate to buy an iBook + have the new model released a week later.

Thanks!

Zach

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by zachandsuch

Hello,

Im a mac newbie and want to purchase an iBook (12").

My question is, does anybody know if/when a new version of the iBooks (or the iBooks with Tiger) will be coming out?

Id hate to buy an iBook + have the new model released a week later.

Thanks!

Zach

Tiger is due out early next year in February or March, so you'll have to likely wait until then if you don't want to shell out $129 to upgrade to 10.4.

Here's a great place to check on the product cycle:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

The iBook was updated less than two months ago, so it's a safe buy. However, around Tiger's release date it will not be. The iBook usually goes 5-6 months between updates, so a new update is due in March or April and Tiger will be available at that point.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    I suspect the next update to the iBooks will come with Tiger OS X 10.4 as the pre-installed operating system. I think it would also come with a better graphics card too.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I figure that there will be an iBook update in April something along these lines:

- 1.3 GHz (12" model) or 1.5 GHz (14") G4 processor

- 200 MHz front-side bus, 1 MB L2 cache (as they'd use the 7448 G4 variant)

- 60 GB hard drive

- 64 MB Mobility Radeon X300 video

- same prices

But if you don't want to wait several months, the current iBooks are just fine.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

- 64 MB Mobility Radeon X300 video

the X300 is a PCI Express Chip(at least i think so) so that would mean they'd had to switch to PCIe or use an AGP/PCIe Bridge Chip.

i think its more likely an ATI 9600 (if they change it)
  • Reply 5 of 23
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    K if they update powerbook think its gonna get 1.3 ghz (12inch) G4 chip (no G5 for iBook yet folks), go to AGP 8x (has anyone but me noticed the AGP on the ibook is only 4x), and probs go to a nVidia 6600 64mb chip (already has AGP capability). However, may keep its present 32mb of memory.

At the other end, the Powerbooks will get G5's probly of the same clock speed, PCI-Express and a 128mb 6600 GT chip.

Lets fact it the 5200 (nvidia) and the 9600 (ATI) arew already outdated by the newer 6000 series from nvidea and the X's from ATI.

Universal Changed: larger capactity hard drives, faster spin rates and more bundled stuff on the Powerbooks. Superdrives on the 12" iBook as an option.

Just my random ramblings: Hopes dreams aspirations.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    there is allmost no difference between AGP 4x and 8x.

btw: a GF 6600 is way to fast for an iBook (maybe on a Powerbook)

btw: the new Geforce 6xxx are PCIe too, but they have - as the ATI Xxxx series - an AGP/PCIe Bridge included

(the nVidia 5200 was allready outdated whe it was released)
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by mat79

there is allmost no difference between AGP 4x and 8x.

btw: a GF 6600 is way to fast for an iBook

Their is a rather large difference between AGP 4x and AGP 8x. AGP 8x has double the bandwith.

And i have to disagree with u saying a 6600 is too fast for the iBook. Yes, its fast. Yes, the GT version can do SLI. But also, its cheap as chips. (oh right, it is a chip)

Price to performance ratio, its one of the cheapest graphics proccesors around.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Maybe I'm missing something... of what Geforce 6600 *mobile* GPU do you refer to? I'm only aware of it in a desktop version. Don't see anything from the 6x00 line on Nvidia's site except for the 6800 Go.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

[B]Their is a rather large difference between AGP 4x and AGP 8x. AGP 8x has double the bandwith.

but it doesnt matter... its at maximum 1-2% more Speed in real world tests (i'd gues its <1%) there was almost no benifit from going AGP2x->4x and even less when moving from 4x->8x

(btw: this is based on benchmarks of PC software (mostly games), it could be that its different on macs and/or some professional software, but i highly doubt it)

its just like the Dual Channel RAM on PCs... you have twice the bandwith but at max 5-10% more Speed.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

but it doesnt matter... its at maximum 1-2% more Speed in real world tests (i'd gues its <1%) there was almost no benifit from going AGP2x->4x and even less when moving from 4x->8x

(btw: this is based on benchmarks of PC software (mostly games), it could be that its different on macs and/or some professional software, but i highly doubt it)

its just like the Dual Channel RAM on PCs... you have twice the bandwith but at max 5-10% more Speed.

K first off -> The graphics on the iBooks, however shite, are going to be an infinite number of times better than an equiveleant note book in the PC world. My reasoning? There is no equivelant notebooks.

And Dual Channel RAM does make a difference, it just depends on what apps your running. However, there is no point in buying into a technology that is two generations old -> The world has moved on to PCI-E 16x, and eve n dual channel Pci-E, in the form of the SLI capable chipsets/
  • Reply 11 of 23
    ok, nevermind... discussing with a fanboy makes no sense
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

What the hell is that supposed to mean. Dude, I dont even own a single Apple product, I'd just dearly like to.

And at least reason out your response, giving me something to reply to, not just:

Quote:

Dude. \
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Maybe I'm missing something... of what Geforce 6600 *mobile* GPU do you refer to? I'm only aware of it in a desktop version. Don't see anything from the 6x00 line on Nvidia's site except for the 6800 Go.

Is no mobile version yet. But if nVidia hears a calling for it, they will probs create one.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

And at least reason out your response, giving me something to reply to, not just:

Dude. \

Well, I'll give you something to reply to

Your response to mat79 re: agp bandwidth was in no way related to his response. You didn't give a rationale for 8x AGP having any tangible benefits over 4x AGP in real world performance, you talked about something completely different.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Well, I'll give you something to reply to

Your response to mat79 re: agp bandwidth was in no way related to his response. You didn't give a rationale for 8x AGP having any tangible benefits over 4x AGP in real world performance, you talked about something completely different.

At least your reasonable, and looking back over my posts, I see that the above is true.

No, 8x AGP may not have any easily seen real world FX. However, as I see no point in buying into a 4x technology win the desktop PC world has moved to 16x, admitaadly not in notebooks weighing only 2.1kg's.

And yes, the performance increase may only be 1 to 2%. But, if you excuse every 1 - 2%, you run into a crap machine with little resale value a few years down the track.

Anything else? See, I can do reasoned arguments too.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Hi Gang,

I just came accross a nice little Christmas Gift, a $1000 cash from a client who unexpectedly paid off an old invoice. (ho-ho-ho!!!) I want to get a little laptop for bringing to school (i teach design at a small college in the evenings) for toating work back and forth from my print shop to my home studio, and for a nice remote control for airtunes on our home network. I just saw the newest ibook at $899 with an extra 512 Ram with free shipping, for a limited time only of course. Should I grab this, or wait to see what surprises come out at Macworld??? Thanks for any advice.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I think the only chance of new iBooks at Macworld SF would be if Apple has a whole new line ready, i.e. a new case design. The iBook is due for a complete revamp. Otherwise, as others have said, any speed bump will probably be in early spring.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

I think the only chance of new iBooks at Macworld SF would be if Apple has a whole new line ready, i.e. a new case design.

OH, but the case on the current iBooks looks ssooooooooooo good.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikenap

Hi Gang,

I just came accross a nice little Christmas Gift, a $1000 cash from a client who unexpectedly paid off an old invoice. (ho-ho-ho!!!) I want to get a little laptop for bringing to school (i teach design at a small college in the evenings) for toating work back and forth from my print shop to my home studio, and for a nice remote control for airtunes on our home network. I just saw the newest ibook at $899 with an extra 512 Ram with free shipping, for a limited time only of course. Should I grab this, or wait to see what surprises come out at Macworld??? Thanks for any advice.

I am taking words from the mouths of other people who have replied in other posts, but bassically, Apple gear maintains a reasonably high retail value, meaning you can grab one now, and if they bring out a totally new one that you just HAVE to have, sell the one you grabbed now, and get the new one. Shouldn't lose too much.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Mike: Buy now. No reason to wait - iBooks were updated 2 months ago. There's really not much wiggle room for iBook improvements right now, seeing as they're very close CPU wise to the PB. Until the PB gets a revision, the iBook certainly won't receive one.

Based on past history, I wouldn't expect an iBook update till April.