Buying Advice... First Computer, First Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi guys. I wanted to buy my first computer, and I have a pretty small budget. I was leaning towards an iBook, does anyone know if there are any known faults/must have accerories for it?

Or does anyone know if i should go for something else?

Btw gaming isn't a problem, i own a console, which keeps me happy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    it all depends on what your needs are. If you just want a word processing, internet checking, and light gaming/photoshopping/imovie/music making machine, then a DVD-R iBook 12inch with an extra 512MB RAM is more than enough for you for the next few years.

If you need monitor spanning, builtin airport/bluetooth, dvd-r, etc etc then you could go for the 12inch powerbook.

Whatever you get, get as much ram as ou can afford. I currently have a 12inch powerbook with stock 256MB of ram and I'm a poweruser and I want to throw this laptop out the window sometimes....
  • Reply 2 of 14
    An iBook is a good computer to get your feet wet with.

If you don't need something portable, you could even go with the eMac and safe more money. They're fairly similar in performance.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I just upgraded to a total of 512MB Ram and it's made the world of difference. My iBook G4 1ghz is snappier(tm) and I'm getting things done quite a bit faster.

Depending on the holiday paycheque I might exchange the 256 for a 512, if I do, I'll let you know how it goes.

Must have accessories? Airport card/basestation, a nice notebook bag (I purchased the Targus backpack bag) and an external mouse (the little microsoft one is great, they've got a wireless option now that runs on a triple A and the dongle snaps into the bottom of the mouse)
  • Reply 4 of 14
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I would save for the Powerbook and skip the iBook. Thing is a scratch and smudge magnet, if you breathe in it?s general direction you will see a mark. My friend still has these black smudges across the face from rolling a hash joint on it a year ago. My Powerbook on the other hand is always free of Afgan tar smudges.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Modded +1 for insightful.

Also, don't use your notebook to roll the jointskis.

They sell a kit to heal the scratches on the iBook and it is quite effective. Being a less expensive option goes a long way.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    An iBook is perfect if you're on a tight budget. Just be sure to bump the ram up to 512.

Zo: You really should get more ram. Even just an extra 256 stick would make a world of difference.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    True...

I have a iBook as well, but I would recommend you to buy another 512MB RAM stick for a total of 640.

Then some of the "must haves"

1) http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

This little mod allows you to use the VGA out just like a PB :3

2) Did I mention RAM?

3) Airport. Posting from a Sofa is very cool, and running around searching for WLANs is cool, either :3

4) A 3 Button mouse (I bought a Logitech, since it was white, too :3) - don´t forget the scroll wheel :3
  • Reply 8 of 14
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

True...

I have a iBook as well, but I would recommend you to buy another 512MB RAM stick for a total of 640.

Then some of the "must haves"

1) http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

This little mod allows you to use the VGA out just like a PB :3

2) Did I mention RAM?

3) Airport. Posting from a Sofa is very cool, and running around searching for WLANs is cool, either :3

4) A 3 Button mouse (I bought a Logitech, since it was white, too :3) - don´t forget the scroll wheel :3

....and purple drapes, don't forget about the purple drapes. Nothing looks better then a white iBook against the dreary pleasure of purple drapes. ?Sorry, got caught up in the moment?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

True...

There's no way to get 640 on the current iBooks. They come with 256 built-in, and one expansion slot. You either can get 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, or 1GB additional... so either 384, 512, 768, or 1.25 GB total is possible.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Wireless:

The iBooks come with an Airport Extreme card (802.11g) built-in now. Pick up an inexpensive 802.11g router from Belkin, Linksys or D-Link for around $50 and enjoy the wireless bliss...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

There's no way to get 640 on the current iBooks. They come with 256 built-in, and one expansion slot. You either can get 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, or 1GB additional... so either 384, 512, 768, or 1.25 GB total is possible.

They come with two slots both filled (128 cards). I know from experience.

P.S. I read somewhere the max they can handle is 640.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Myst

They come with two slots both filled (128 cards). I know from experience.

P.S. I read somewhere the max they can handle is 640.

Check again:

www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html

Quote:

256MB of PC2100 (266MHz) DDR SDRAM (256MB built-in and one available SO-DIMM slot) with support for up to 1.25GB

Older models did only have 128, and could have a max of 640.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    After you get additional memory and if you still have some money left over, I would get an Airport Express if you have access to a fast internet connection. Plug your printer and modem into it and use your iBook anywhere in your living area. You can also easily take it with you and hook it up the same way.

BTW, go to ramseeker.com to help you find the best memory pricing. Don't buy memory from Apple. Too expensive. I have always had great luck with memorytogo.com.

Good luck.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    or crucial.com to find out the exact type of RAM you need. don't buy it from Crucial though, just like Apple, they charge a premium. Newegg.com is the best place.