Linksys Question

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi guys,

I bought a Linksys Wireless G WRT54g router in anticipation of my new iBook. I've set it up but I can't check if the wireless works since I haven't gotten the iBook yet (waiting for student loans in Jan). I was wondering if there was any software that would allow me to see if the wireless function is working, something maybe like a program for using the router to see other networks around me...etc..

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Ahhh. The famous "You have the keys, but not the porsche" syndrone.

'Fraid you gotta wait on this one.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Invite a friend over that has wifi laptop. Then sit there and watch them surf on your system. Make sure that they sit in all the good chairs. Check your range and don't forget to put some type of password protection on.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 12
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    Alrighty guys, thanks a lot for the help.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    reg is correct. Actually, you have any neighbors/people who live near? let them use it in their house. People can go to a neighbors house with an airport extreme on the first floor, and surf at thier friends.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    From what I remember, wireless is off by default; you have to turn it on whenever you first set-up the router.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    If the "WAN" light is on, does that mean it's working?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Here's another solution: don't worry about it. What until your iBook arrives, log onto the router (192.168.1.1), set it up, and then see if it works. If it doesn't, then start this thread up again. Until then, enjoy the Holiday season!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    To quote Tom Petty:

"Waiting is the hardest part"
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

If the "WAN" light is on, does that mean it's working?

The WAN light means that your router is connected to the internet. Wide Area Network.

The WLAN light is the one that represents your wirless activity. Wireless Local Area Network.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Ok, sweet the WLAN light is on. Will KisMac do the trick or am I really stuck waiting for the iBook
  • Reply 11 of 12
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Well it seems I have the exact same router as you, so if you have any problems with the setup, let me know and I'll try to help you tackle it.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Thanks matty,

I have no problems with it, I just want to make sure it works since I bought it used and only have a limited time period to return it.