installing Classic into OSX

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Got my iBook today. How do I get frickin classic installed on this mother.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DigitalMonkeyBoy

If your iBook is new, it came with Classic installed.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    No - classic is not preinstalled due to the different languages of Classic / Mac OS 9. You have to install from one of the CD´s that came with your new iBook the application named Apple software restore. This is placed in /Applications/Utilities. Start this application and tell it to install Classic, iDVD, Developer tools or a forth I can not remember - or tell it to install all of the above.

Or you could just copy the System Folder from a previous machine with Mac OS 9.2.1 or 9.2.2
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wooster

No - classic is not preinstalled due to the different languages of Classic / Mac OS 9. You have to install from one of the CD´s that came with your new iBook the application named Apple software restore. This is placed in /Applications/Utilities. Start this application and tell it to install Classic, iDVD, Developer tools or a forth I can not remember - or tell it to install all of the above.

Or you could just copy the System Folder from a previous machine with Mac OS 9.2.1 or 9.2.2

What are your talking about--"due to different languates of Classic / MaOS 9"? Every new Mac ships with Classic installed. Software Restore restores your computer to the factory shipped state in the rare event that you have to wipe your stock installation.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DigitalMonkeyBoy

1. Insert the Restore CD/DVD.

2. Launch Terminal from /Applications/Utilities/.

3. Type cd, followed by a space. Mind case because it's important. Drag-n-drop the Restore CD/DVD icon onto the Terminal window. Press Enter to complete the command.

4. Type cd .images and press Enter. Type ls and press Enter. It will list the hidden disk images. For example, my G5 Restore DVD has: ArtDirTK.dmg, FileMaker.dmg, OmniGraffle.dmg, PhotoshopPlugin.dmg, DevTools.dmg, GraphicConverter.dmg, OmniOutliner.dmg, iDVD1.dmg, FAXstf.dmg, OS9General.dmg, PMG5XHelp.dmg, iDiskUtility.dmg.

5. To mount a particular disk image, for example that with Classic, type open OS9General.dmg and press Enter.

6. Copy the System Folder from the disk image to the root of your hard disk.

7. Launch System Preferences->Classic and let it find the classic System Folder.

P.S. And I don't know what wooster is talking about. A custom OS install may be without Classic, but the generic US or UK version of OS 9 should work as expected.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

1. Insert the Restore CD/DVD.

2. Launch Terminal from /Applications/Utilities/.

7. Launch System Preferences->Classic and let it find the classic System Folder.

I guess there is another way to grab that particular hidden "images" folder.

Just perform a finder search (CMD-F), set "Visibility" to "invisible and visible",

name is of course "images". Search on location "CD whateveritiscalled" --

-- hit enter, therefor you'll get the desired folder called "images". You can drag and drop the images you need to your HD OR make an install straight forward.

Perhaps that helps, too.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

I guess there is another way to grab that particular hidden "images" folder.

Just perform a finder search (CMD-F), set "Visibility" to "invisible and visible",

name is of course "images". Search on location "CD whateveritiscalled" --

-- hit enter, therefor you'll get the desired folder called "images". You can drag and drop the images you need to your HD OR make an install straight forward.

Perhaps that helps, too.

Or you could just click on the "Install Applications & Classic Support" icon in the root directory of your install DVD.

BTW my iMac G5 did not come with Classic installed although it is on the install DVD.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Yah haha. I actually found the "OS9" CD. Its the software restore CD...or extras or somethin.

Anyways, to confirm:

It did NOT come with Classic installed. Wooster was right. Rather than using terminal, I foundt the OS9 Installer app much easier.